Studio buns in the oven

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Will the '' studio buns in the oven'' actually materialise?!

No way. Brian talking bollocks again.
32%
Yes, but it'll be totally dull in reality - a new version of Love Of My Life sung by Kerry Ellis.
5%
Yes, but it will be some Paul Rodgers related shite.
No votes
Yes, but it will just be something with Taylor Hawkins playing drums on a new version of IILWMC.
9%
Yes, but it will just be a re-recording of It's A Hard Life with Tom Chaplin from Keane singing.
9%
Yes, it will be a rare outtake - Hangman or Let Me In (YHA) - something like that. Whoopee!!!
23%
Don't give a rat's arse - I'm past caring.
23%

Total votes : 22

Re: Studio buns in the oven

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:56 pm

I'd argue that the title is QUEEN's Greatest Hits, and that maybe, for the sake of being true to the legacy, the Queen bit is more important than the Greatest Hits bit.

Despite Somebody To Love with George Michael being a #1, I'd still rather have a proper Queen single on the album, than one reconstructed with another singer after Freddie had died. I'd remove STL, AOBTD, Elton's TSMGO, and the solo bits, and replace them all with "boner-Fido" Queen singles. The only "duet" I'd leave on there is Under Pressure, as Freddie had a hand (or at the very least, a foot) in the original tracking on that one.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Kes wrote:I'd argue that the title is QUEEN's Greatest Hits, and that maybe, for the sake of being true to the legacy, the Queen bit is more important than the Greatest Hits bit.

Despite Somebody To Love with George Michael being a #1, I'd still rather have a proper Queen single on the album, than one reconstructed with another singer after Freddie had died. I'd remove STL, AOBTD, Elton's TSMGO, and the solo bits, and replace them all with "boner-Fido" Queen singles. The only "duet" I'd leave on there is Under Pressure, as at least Freddie had a hand (or at very least a foot) in the original tracking on that one.

Deep down, I'd agree with you. But with a hand in the commercial logic of the release, then I'd keep it on there.

But then again, that road also leads to them thinking "Well, Freddie had a #1 so let's whack that on. But not the remix everyone knows. I guess Brian did that car song, so we'll put that on too. No, Roger, there's no more room. Go and remix something instead."
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:28 pm

A little bird (strange that, coming from a kestrel) told me that the plan was to put the No More Brothers mix on there, but they couldn't clear the contracts in time (I reckon that's business speak for someone probably wanting a bit more money than someone else was prepared to give them!).

Solo stuff isn't Queen... err, unless I guess, the band pop into a studio and rework it, AS a band.

Therefore, if a track was made as a solo effort, and has no involvement from any other member of the group, it doesn't really have a place in the "band environment".

That's just MY opinion.

Sometimes the "little" you gain from a bit of commerciality, does a little too much damage to the righteous principles that you've previously carried, and have got you to the elevated position in the first place.

..and before I get any deeper into this, I consider No-One But You, a proper Queen track, as although it was written and recorded after Freddie left, it has all the trademarks, intent, and thought processes gone into it, that a Queen track would have had. I can't say the same for stuff like TCR, unfortunately.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 am

While I can certainly see why people would argue against having solo/Queen+ tracks on a Queen compilation, GHIII was my introduction to the band's - and particularly Brian's - solo catalogue, while the George Michael version of "Somebody to Love" remains my favourite ever recording of the song, so I'm really glad they put them on there.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am

I don't mind having solo tracks on GH3. It does gives the fan an insight of what happens outside of Queen. Shame Roger wasn't represented though. Group the three Hits compilations with the three Deep Cuts albums you have a good overview of the Queen Catalog.

The last Genesis Compilation "R-Kive" was great as it had 3 tracks from each solo member as well as the bands main hits. Unfortunately however the tracks chosen weren't the ones i would have chosen, especially in Phil's case - they were the weakest ones.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Representing Steve Hackett, the biggest selling 7" he had, by quite a long chalk, was Clocks (Angel of Mons) off the Spectral Mornings album. Not even a sniff of it on that compilation.

With the Queen thing, you're representing the band's catalogue better by only having Queen tracks on there. Let's remember, back in the day when GHIII was released, solo wise, what exactly was still on catalogue and actually available?

Being honest, I'm not sure much of it was. At least all of the Queen albums were still on the shelves.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 pm

I think maybe the idea with the Queen+ Greatest Hits III was to test the water or make a stand that Queen+ had a future with Brian or other artists as vocalists.
And maybe it didn't go down that well among fans, and that is why there never was a Greatest video Hits III, or another standalone version of GH III 2011 Remastered ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:52 pm

If fairness to the band, if you wanted to put all their UK singles between 1973-1999 on a compilation, they wouldn't quite fit on three discs.

Everything this side of the millennium gets a little tricky, especially as quality control goes out the window, and there are some songs which are technically the modern day 'promo' singles, but the waters are a lot murkier now as these things go straight to YouTube instead of radio DJs and pluggers. Plus the band have a habit of releasing one-off standalone tracks now, such as the recent WWRY / WATC alternate mixes... are they singles? They have cover art and can be bought as standalones from Amazon/iTunes etc. But by that token, All Dead All Dead (Hybrid Mix) was a more prominent 'release', and you can't buy that anywhere. And do you include the 75 re-take of Keep Yourself Alive, because it was a pink vinyl single in 2011?

Yeah. They've muddied the waters something chronic in recent years. So I'd be tempted to stick with a four-disc set that focused JUST on the various single releases in the 20th Century.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby AlexKx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:53 pm

"Greatest Hits III" is a classic. I have visions of certain compilations in the future...including expanding the ones in "The Platinum Collection"! All are not said and done yet! Hoooo! :D :onfire:

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:While I can certainly see why people would argue against having solo/Queen+ tracks on a Queen compilation, GHIII was my introduction to the band's - and particularly Brian's - solo catalogue, while the George Michael version of "Somebody to Love" remains my favourite ever recording of the song, so I'm really glad they put them on there.

For me, I don't see it as a proper Greatest Hits package from the band - and I can see why music critics at the time accused them of scraping the barrel.

I think they could have been the first band to have released their solo eforts combined as a Solo greatest Hits package - I am sure no band has ever done that before.

And I agree with your assessment of George's version of STL; surely the best Queen cover ever.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:46 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I think they could have been the first band to have released their solo eforts combined as a Solo greatest Hits package - I am sure no band has ever done that before.

I'd imagine rights issues would get in the way of that, but it's a neat idea.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sbrown » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:If fairness to the band, if you wanted to put all their UK singles between 1973-1999 on a compilation, they wouldn't quite fit on three discs.

I have 4 boxsets of singles that say otherwise.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:24 pm

sbrown wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:If fairness to the band, if you wanted to put all their UK singles between 1973-1999 on a compilation, they wouldn't quite fit on three discs.

I have 4 boxsets of singles that say otherwise.

Eh?
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 pm

I think the point they were making, was that they can fit quite happily on about 48 CDs. The band proved that.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Kes wrote:I think the point they were making, was that they can fit quite happily on about 48 CDs. The band proved that.

Ah. That doesn't prove that the tracks won't fit on 3 discs, though, does it? :shock:
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On