Studio buns in the oven

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Will the '' studio buns in the oven'' actually materialise?!

No way. Brian talking bollocks again.
32%
Yes, but it'll be totally dull in reality - a new version of Love Of My Life sung by Kerry Ellis.
5%
Yes, but it will be some Paul Rodgers related shite.
No votes
Yes, but it will just be something with Taylor Hawkins playing drums on a new version of IILWMC.
9%
Yes, but it will just be a re-recording of It's A Hard Life with Tom Chaplin from Keane singing.
9%
Yes, it will be a rare outtake - Hangman or Let Me In (YHA) - something like that. Whoopee!!!
23%
Don't give a rat's arse - I'm past caring.
23%

Total votes : 22

Re: Studio buns in the oven

Postby popyfm » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:I'm still a little surprised they haven't tried to put all their singles on one collection... surely that'd sell. Not in Greatest Hits I & II numbers, but still...

Queen - The Singles Collection?

popyfm
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Someone came up with a huge track listing of all of the A sides and B sides and they mainly would fit on ten c.d.s which would be mind-blowing if they were in a box set like "The Solo Collection" by Freddie Mercury from the year 2000...as long as they included the + stuff!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby sbrown » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
Kes wrote:I think the point they were making, was that they can fit quite happily on about 48 CDs. The band proved that.

Ah. That doesn't prove that the tracks won't fit on 3 discs, though, does it? :shock:

to be fair, that's probably right.
Although on the 48 discs there were 3 or 4 double-A side singles. Given GH cds all have 17 tracks they'd need 51 A-sides to "fill" 3 discs (and yes I understand running time and track count are different things). I think it's about spot-on that they'd get every A-side onto 3 cds.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm afraid that doesn't tell the whole story. You could probably just about get the UK singles onto one 3-cd set, but if you factor in the various other singles in other territories (eg Princes of the Universe, It's Late, Mustapha etc), you're definitely pushed onto four discs.

Now, I suppose they could add in all the non-album studio b-sides to make that fourth disc fill out... that might make a nice, still accessible release.

But as for a 10-disc collection of everything, I'm not so interested. There'd be a huge overlap with their studio albums, as Queen were pretty stingy on the B-side front - and The Works would be included in its entirety!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby AlexKx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 am

Sir Didymus...That would be awesome!!!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

AlexKx wrote:Sir Didymus...That would be awesome!!!

The problem is, where do you draw the line?

Do you just concentrate on 1973-1997? Do you only include the UK singles? Do you miss out live singles?

It's not neat and tidy, I'm afraid. And probably why they've never done it.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:33 pm

^ Personally I draw the line at Queen 1973-1997 - the only Queen + singles should be Under Pressure as a proper collaboration released by the active unit. I hit the UK singles. I hit the live singles. I hit the international singles only when it contains something unique (like the "Liar (US Edit)" and what not.

You can't be completely neat and tidy so you go with the most bang for the buck.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:44 pm

I remember about the studio buns in the oven talk. I was worried it was going to involve Psy, or Dappy!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am

soxtalon wrote:^ Personally I draw the line at Queen 1973-1997 - the only Queen + singles should be Under Pressure as a proper collaboration released by the active unit. I hit the UK singles. I hit the live singles. I hit the international singles only when it contains something unique (like the "Liar (US Edit)" and what not.

You can't be completely neat and tidy so you go with the most bang for the buck.

That makes logical sense.

Though... a more complete collection would finally give the 46664 tracks a wider release. :lol:
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Kes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Don't think the Liar edit will ever see the light of day on an official release. Brian apparently hates it, as Elektra put it out without the band ever hearing it, and when they eventually DID hear it, they were horrified.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Echoplex » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Kes wrote:Don't think the Liar edit will ever see the light of day on an official release. Brian apparently hates it, as Elektra put it out without the band ever hearing it, and when they eventually DID hear it, they were horrified.

I remember a radio interview in which Brian said they weren't happy with the edit, however he did say that it was also remixed and had a certain sound that worked on American FM radio in the 70's.

Therefore (QP) logic could mean it gets its own box set release with 7 single. 12 inch picture disc containing Album, US single edit and Rainbow live composite mix also recently discovered John Deacon/Tim Staffell vocal duet version B side. . .

All packaged in a neat Boxset containing a 1973 American FM radio and single advert poster and copy of Rolling Stone slating the original song. . . . All for just £250!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 pm

The quote about "getting a particular sound on American FM radio", was from the 1977 Tom Browne interview, and he was talking about the way Elektra mastered the first three albums.

Altough in the context of, and leading on from a discussion about the single release of Liar, it was about how record companies overseas do things with your music that you have no apparent control over.

"There's a lot of things you can do when you master a record, that's physically putting the music onto a piece of plastic. As we found out in America with the first three albums. Over there they put everything through a vicious limiter that brings everything up to the same level, a system they call pumping, and you find if you have a continuous guitar note over a drum beat, that the note goes up and down around the beat. This gave us a particular sound on American FM radio, which we actually later used ourselves in the studio."
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

soxtalon wrote:I hit the international singles only when it contains something unique (like the "Liar (US Edit)" and what not.

On the subject of that version, I hadn't head it until I got the NotW set for Christmas. Despite being such a severe edit, it actually works quite nicely.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 am

^ I'm assuming you are talking about the It's Late edit....I didn't see the Liar edit on NOTW ;) :P

But I actually agree about It's Late...that's an edit that shouldn't work but is not nearly as bad as it sounds on paper....Liar is far worse and I can understand why the band is horrified...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am

soxtalon wrote:^ I'm assuming you are talking about the It's Late edit....I didn't see the Liar edit on NOTW ;) :P

Whoops :lol:

And yes.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On