Brian about John (new interview)

Deaky Back Chat
Nicki

Brian about John (new interview)

Post by Nicki »

I just saw this new interview with Brian in the Daily Express from yesterday. Maybe some here are interested, because Brian explains, how much John is still included in everything Queen does.
link: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment ... am-Lambert

John Deacon: Brian May ALWAYS runs things by Queen bassist ‘Still very much part of team’

JOHN DEACON may be retired, but Brian May revealed in an exclusive interview with Express.co.uk how he still always runs decisions by the Queen bassist today.

The Queen bassist retired from the music industry almost 25 years ago for a quiet private life. With Freddie Mercury having died in 1991, only half of Queen in Brian May and Roger Taylor are still active today with singer Adam Lambert. Nevertheless, John Deacon is a major Queen rights holder and so is still a business partner, with May admitting he always runs things by the 69-year-old to this day.

Speaking exclusively with Express.co.uk, May said: “All I know is, he’s okay about it. If he wasn’t okay, we would know. That’s the arrangement we have. No matter what kind of decision it is, artistic or business-wise, money-wise, management-wise, we always run things past John.”

The 73-year-old revealed how their deal is that if they don’t hear back from Deacon then he’s agreed to their decision.

May continued: “If we do hear back he’ll have some strong opinion and we’ll take notice. So he’s very much part of the team, he’s just a quiet part of the team – which in a sense, he always was to be honest. He’s quiet until that moment that he really speaks up and then you have to listen.”

Asked if Deacon often communicates back with a disagreement, the Queen guitarist admitted he does occasionally.
May shared: “Occasionally, yeah, occasionally because it’s a very tightly knit family, the Queen family. And that includes Freddie’s estate; we’re still very much bound up the four of us and that can’t really change.”

The bulk of Freddie Mercury’s estate was left to his ex-fiancée Mary Austin.
Neither May nor Taylor have seen Deacon physically since around 2004 at Queen musical We Will Rock You.

The Queen guitarist said: “It’s John’s choice. He doesn’t want to be, he wants to be left alone. That’s his choice and I think he needs that.”

He clarified that Deacon hasn’t withdrawn out of spite or anything, as they never fell out. May added: “It’s just that he needs to have his privacy; you have to respect that.”

While when we asked Taylor about Deacon earlier this summer, he said: “I don’t think he feels he wants to handle it and all the stuff that goes with it. So no we don’t keep in touch actually. John has sort of consciously excluded himself from the world. He doesn’t like engaging in contact with anybody I think. I think he’s very fragile and we respect that.”

Ray

Re: Brian about John (new interview)

Post by Ray »

It's still so weird that John stays so far away from everything, it seems like he's living on a another planet.

I understand that he wants his private life and not back to all the buzz about Queen anymore, but if it's true what this article says here, that they haven't actually met him since 2004, then that's just sad. No matter how Brian tries to present him as still kind of a part of it all, John couldn't keep it any less than that...he doesn't even reply if he's okay with whatever.

I kinda almost hope Brian and Roger are making up those stories to protect John's privacy like they lied for Freddie back then.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Ray wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 pm
I understand that he wants his private life and not back to all the buzz about Queen anymore, but if it's true what this article says here, that they haven't actually met him since 2004, then that's just sad.
It is really so sad! To have spent all those years with the guys and now they haven’t seen John in years, I just can’t imagine the reasons for it. It’s all so odd. I can understand being somewhat fragile and wanting privacy, but to basically not communicate anything appreciable is kind of heart-breaking all around. I have no doubts that they are protecting John, since their responses about him are pretty well scripted and identical. I just really hope that there is a reality behind it all where they really do interact with him and things are ok.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

I wish the man well. He deserves and has earned his privacy, so I don't like it much when Brian or Roger comment on him.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Ray wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 pm It's still so weird that John stays so far away from everything, it seems like he's living on a another planet.

I understand that he wants his private life and not back to all the buzz about Queen anymore, but if it's true what this article says here, that they haven't actually met him since 2004, then that's just sad. No matter how Brian tries to present him as still kind of a part of it all, John couldn't keep it any less than that...he doesn't even reply if he's okay with whatever.

I kinda almost hope Brian and Roger are making up those stories to protect John's privacy like they lied for Freddie back then.
Good points made here.

You'd think they'd still have phone calls or some sort of communication, it seems like Brian has more contact than Roger in the way they say stuff in interviews.

I mean if you knew someone well for 26 years you'd consider them to be friends but judging by John's recluse, he must consider Brian and Roger to be former band mates instead of old friends.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

For perspective, since the Unplugged release by KISS with guest spots by both original members Peter Criss & Ace Frehley, there have been outright unlawful infighting, lies and all out slander by all members, Peter, Paul, Gene (especially Gene) and Paul. The only time anyone got along was when Paul Stanley sang lead on Ace's "Origins Vol. I" cover of Free's "Fire And Water" the first song to actually sound like 1973 KISS with a much richer, older sounding yet suprisingly fresh duo of both Ace & Paul, they get along. But Gene Simmons, has utter bullcrap flowing out of his mouth about how bad Ace & Peter were, mistake prone on stage during the seventies. "Shock Me" on Alive II has Gene in another key out of place entirely, wrecking the song. In every concert I've witnessed of early Kiss, its always Gene & Paul giving mistake prone, lackluster efforts, not more than a few rare times has Peter & Ace really noticeably messed up. To this day, even at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, because of the infighting, they didn't look at each other and refused to perform as a group.

So with that said, John Deacon, author of "Back Chat", "I Want To Break Free" & "Another One Bites The Dust" most likely started to feel the heat for such songs in his personal life, taking a toll on his relationships. If you recall, there were tabloid photos of John getting a lap dance by a stripper and he was married at the time, but he already had left Queen. John stepped away from the forefront at a time when he really could have spread his own wings in the band with new music had they gone that route, it's never too late. Alcoholics if they are lucky give up the bottle and live a life making amends. John isn't an alcoholic, but the same mentality remains, his personal life was 2nd to Queen up til after Freddie's death and in turn, he made a loving, respectful choice to leave with one finger in the door. If there was any fighting there's nothing said in public in the history of Queen to the best of my knowledge. Don't beat a dead horse, leave it alone, if we are lucky, John dusts off his bass and joins Brian, Adam and Roger for a song or two in London in concert.