The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:
Welshqueenfan wrote:It seems to me that Brian and Roger have always wanted to crack america, purely financial as well as egotistical, but it never happened with Queen when Freddie was alive...

You've not heard of News of the World, or the even more massively successful The Game, then??

Very good question. The Game had two number one hits on Billboard. So that they never cracked America is a risky statement. And don't forget all the success in South-America :)

I think the statement 'Queen never cracked America' is a bit of an urban myth, yes they never scaled the heights of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles or The Stones but in terms of record sales, ticket sales and especially influence they did very well indeed. In a football analysis Queen were definitely a premier league team in America where as the other bands mentioned would be champions league.

Albums sales in excess of 45,000,000, 12 different Platinum Albums, the 22nd most certified band in American history (according to RIAA) plus 6 platinum selling singles would certainly quantify the fact that Queen most definitely cracked America :-D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby QueenUSA » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 am

Very well stated, slightly mad.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 am

I also fully agree with the last post.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

In my eyes Queen had always done more than enough to be considered a success in America regardless of the situation that arose following Hot Space and IWTBF video.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby Anna » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:42 pm

There are man, many fans (besides me) here in the USA that would confirm that. WE will always remember. I just can't wait for the biopic!

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:I think the statement 'Queen never cracked America' is a bit of an urban myth, yes they never scaled the heights of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles or The Stones but in terms of record sales, ticket sales and especially influence they did very well indeed. In a football analysis Queen were definitely a premier league team in America where as the other bands mentioned would be champions league.

Albums sales in excess of 45,000,000, 12 different Platinum Albums, the 22nd most certified band in American history (according to RIAA) plus 6 platinum selling singles would certainly quantify the fact that Queen most definitely cracked America :-D

Very well explained.

Hopefully one day it will finally be admitted that Queen are, without any doubt, one of the biggest groups of all time also in the USA.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:In my eyes Queen had always done more than enough to be considered a success in America regardless of the situation that arose following Hot Space and IWTBF video.

Completely agree; just a shame that the USA - apart from the true fans, of course - does not show them the respect they deserve.

Thankfully, it is a big world we all inhabit; there are many other countries out there who do appreciate this band.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby QueenUSA » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:41 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
hotspace1966 wrote:In my eyes Queen had always done more than enough to be considered a success in America regardless of the situation that arose following Hot Space and IWTBF video.

Completely agree; just a shame that the USA - apart from the true fans, of course - does not show them the respect they deserve.

Thankfully, it is a big world we all inhabit; there are many other countries out there who do appreciate this band.

As an American fan that NEVER abandoned the band since early 1978, I appreciate your recognition of the loyal fans that have always been here!

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby brokenship » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:41 am

Judging from that interview with Graham King, it sounds like the 70s, pre 70s and possibly even a child/teenage Freddie will be included in this film, not just as flashbacks, but as part of the narrative. Just because the Paul Prenter actor has been cast and the film will end and/or begin with Live Aid, doesn't mean the focus will only be on the early to mid 80s. This is after all, a feature film and should have a running time of around 2.5 hours.

Also, based on what we have seen so far with the Live Aid recreation, it looks as though no detail will be spared. Although I must say, Rami Malek's jeans bother me, the cut doesn't look right. Freddie looked like he was wearing slim fit jeans, Rami looks like he's wearing boot cut jeans hahaha

brokenship
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:57 am

brokenship wrote:Judging from that interview with Graham King, it sounds like the 70s, pre 70s and possibly even a child/teenage Freddie will be included in this film, not just as flashbacks, but as part of the narrative.

If this is true, it makes me even more hopeful for this film.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 am

QueenUSA wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

As an American fan that NEVER abandoned the band since early 1978, I appreciate your recognition of the loyal fans that have always been here!

Oh, I am well aware of the hard-core fan base Queen have in The States; I just don't think America - as a whole - get Queen musically (far too English and far too camp for a rock group). But, yes, thankfully, there are loyal, passionate, lifelong fans like yourself out there. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am

brokenship wrote:Judging from that interview with Graham King, it sounds like the 70s, pre 70s and possibly even a child/teenage Freddie will be included in this film, not just as flashbacks, but as part of the narrative. Just because the Paul Prenter actor has been cast and the film will end and/or begin with Live Aid, doesn't mean the focus will only be on the early to mid 80s. This is after all, a feature film and should have a running time of around 2.5 hours.

Also, based on what we have seen so far with the Live Aid recreation, it looks as though no detail will be spared. Although I must say, Rami Malek's jeans bother me, the cut doesn't look right. Freddie looked like he was wearing slim fit jeans, Rami looks like he's wearing boot cut jeans hahaha

Well, it has already been confirmed that the film will focus on the years 1970 - 1985, so we know it will not only focus on the early to mid 80s.

It will definitely - in my opinion - be about the rise, near break-up and, finally, coming back together of Queen (finishing on a high spot at Live Aid). I reckon there will be small flashbacks to Freddie's childhood and a subtle reference or two to his illness. At the end, just before the credits, there will be a short summarising of the years '86 - '91, as Bo Rhap or The Show Must Go On blasts out over the audience...

...or maybe not.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby brokenship » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
brokenship wrote:Judging from that interview with Graham King, it sounds like the 70s, pre 70s and possibly even a child/teenage Freddie will be included in this film, not just as flashbacks, but as part of the narrative. Just because the Paul Prenter actor has been cast and the film will end and/or begin with Live Aid, doesn't mean the focus will only be on the early to mid 80s. This is after all, a feature film and should have a running time of around 2.5 hours.

Well, it has already been confirmed that the film will focus on the years 1970 - 1985, so we know it will not only focus on the early to mid 80s.

It will definitely - in my opinion - be about the rise, near break-up and, finally, coming back together of Queen (finishing on a high spot at Live Aid). I reckon there will be small flashbacks to Freddie's childhood and a subtle reference or two to his illness. At the end, just before the credits, there will be a short summarising of the years '86 - '91, as Bo Rhap or The Show Must Go On blasts out over the audience...

...or maybe not.

Ah ok, didn't know those dates were confirmed. Thank you.

I feel like The Show Must Go On would be a bit depressing for the credits. We Are The Champions will probably be the last song, performed in the Live Aid scene and then something very random in the credits. Maybe a completely brand new song or previously unreleased recording? Bohemian Rhapsody will almost definitely be the first song as performed in the Live Aid scene and then gradually changing to a scene in 1970 and we see the yet-to-become-famous Freddie/Queen while BR fades into an echo !

brokenship
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 pm

brokenship wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

...or maybe not.

Ah ok, didn't know those dates were confirmed. Thank you.

I feel like The Show Must Go On would be a bit depressing for the credits. We Are The Champions will probably be the last song, performed in the Live Aid scene and then something very random in the credits. Maybe a completely brand new song or previously unreleased recording? Bohemian Rhapsody will almost definitely be the first song as performed in the Live Aid scene and then gradually changing to a scene in 1970 and we see the yet-to-become-famous Freddie/Queen while BR fades into an echo !

I think TSMGO would be an ideal track over the credits - or even the instrumental version; I think it is only depressing if you think of Freddie as poorly, whereas the meaning of the song is very positive.

I should think Bo Rhap will play in the credits somewhere (bear in mind these film credits can go on for about ten minutes sometimes!)...we'll just have to wait and see. Exciting stuff! :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On