The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:15 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Very recent - albeit short - quote from Graham King on the film:

'As most people know, this has been my passion project for a lot of years.... I am really excited about this film and the way it turned out. I just cannot wait to get it out there and show everyone and I think people will just fall in love with this film. I just think we’ve got a really major film on our hands.'

I think this is a pretty good sign. Normally when a film looks like it is going to be a complete turkey the main players keep well away, but this statement - along with Joe Mazzello's and Gwilym Lee's positive tweets after they wrapped - gives us all hope that this could be a beaut.

Aaaah, great. I have been starving for some news. Sounds very promising this as you say. Hopefully we will get more info soon. :)

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Very recent - albeit short - quote from Graham King on the film:

'As most people know, this has been my passion project for a lot of years.... I am really excited about this film and the way it turned out. I just cannot wait to get it out there and show everyone and I think people will just fall in love with this film. I just think we’ve got a really major film on our hands.'

I think this is a pretty good sign. Normally when a film looks like it is going to be a complete turkey the main players keep well away, but this statement - along with Joe Mazzello's and Gwilym Lee's positive tweets after they wrapped - gives us all hope that this could be a beaut.

Aaaah, great. I have been starving for some news. Sounds very promising this as you say. Hopefully we will get more info soon. :)

I feel exactly the same as yourself: I am - to use a quaint British term - gagging for news on this film. I simply cannot wait. It's like being a kid on Christmas Eve. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:19 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:

I feel exactly the same as yourself: I am - to use a quaint British term - gagging for news on this film. I simply cannot wait. It's like being a kid on Christmas Eve. :P

When I come home from work I always check the forum. But the last couple of days its been a looong drought in this thread. I always get excited when someone has posted. :P

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Baba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Same here!
I think it will be great. Can 't wait!

Baba
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am

I wonder when Bryan Singer will comment on the movie again. He still is the director who did the majority of the movie, and I am sure he will be credited as director in the end. Maybe along with Dexter Fletcher even though he only did a minor job on this.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Don't you think they'd want to keep his name as far away from this project as possible? I mean, they can't get rid of his name...but given his reputation they might want to steer clear of his name for as long as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we see very little of him.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Don't you think they'd want to keep his name as far away from this project as possible? I mean, they can't get rid of his name...but given his reputation they might want to steer clear of his name for as long as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we see very little of him.

I don't know. The reason they gave us for sacking him was that he didnt show up for work several times during the shoot of the movie. About his reputation when it comes to sexual relations with young men and women I can only say this: He is innocent until proven guilty. But I do of course see that it doesnt look good with all the statements against him.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
Lover Boy wrote:Don't you think they'd want to keep his name as far away from this project as possible? I mean, they can't get rid of his name...but given his reputation they might want to steer clear of his name for as long as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we see very little of him.

I don't know. The reason they gave us for sacking him was that he didnt show up for work several times during the shoot of the movie. About his reputation when it comes to sexual relations with young men and women I can only say this: He is innocent until proven guilty. But I do of course see that it doesnt look good with all the statements against him.

To add to your above statements, I feel they will just not talk too much about Singer's involvement. At the end of the day, they cannot deny he directed the bulk of the film or the work he put in, but they can simply say that they don't wish to discuss him during the film's promotion. They will probably take the angle of being positive about Dexter Fletcher and saying that they would rather discuss his input, etc.

One good thing is that Singer was not found guilty of anything during the making of the film - that would have tarnished it. All we all have are rumours (which, unfortunately, I believe). I still think this will not negatively affect the film in any way - in fact, it will only help to promote it; they can make a big thing of how Fletcher came in at the last minute to save the film and how it was all touch and go, etc.

Going to go out on a limb here and state that I think this film will be wonderful. And you can quote me on that! :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 pm

I know it's not fair, but I can't get the allegations out of my mind. For me, it has put a damper on my happiness about the film, even though I don't know if said allegations are true or not.
Weirdest of all though, my only hope for this film now is that it does Freddie justice and the soundtrack will be good.
Sometimes being a Queen fan is very complicated!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm

icy wrote:I know it's not fair, but I can't get the allegations out of my mind. For me, it has put a damper on my happiness about the film, even though I don't know if said allegations are true or not.
Weirdest of all though, my only hope for this film now is that it does Freddie justice and the soundtrack will be good.
Sometimes being a Queen fan is very complicated!

I honestly think this film will do Freddie justice - I believe Brian when he says that they only have this one chance and they are going to make sure they get it spot on. As long as Rami does not over-emphasise Freddie's mannerisms - there is a fine line between nailing someone's individual traits, etc. and absolute parody; still, I do not think Brian, Roger, Jim and Pheobe would have let it slip had Rami come across as laughable.

I truly feel this will be up there as one of the best music biopics around. Big claim I know! But I just think the whole team were/are so passionate about this story that it will be wonderfully acted and put together as perfectly as possible. As long as they strike a good balance between the humorous aspects and the more profound moments.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:14 pm

I watched the Abba movie "Mamma Mia" recently. Mamma mia is of course not a biopic. Its more like a musical and I am really glad Queen didn't go that route. What "Mamma Mia does quite well is presenting the music. Abba's music is great and they get that across even though the original songs are far superior. The story itself is terrible. It is quite obvious that the main aim is to celebrate the music as well as reaching all ages. And they succeeded at least in Norway. I remember that there was a Abba mania around the release.

The Queen biopic should be able to touch a broader spectre of emotions. And with positive comments lately from McCarten and King I really have my hopes up. The trailer is not too far away. I can not wait to see the first clips from the movie.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm

I wouldn't mind a Mamma Mia style Queen movie. I'm sure I remember reading that Ben Elton had written a screenplay of We Will Rock You. Not really sure how that story, as thread bare as it was, would translate to the big screen but that's for someone else to figure out. Also, not to get too off topic, what happened to We Will Rock You 2? Is that completely dead?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm

The trailer will probably be out in July. Even that feels like an eternity though. :P

I just found out they've got someone playing Larry Mullen Jr. (drummer from U2). The actor is Mathew Houston...no idea who he is. Regardless, it's exciting to know that they'll include footage of other Live Aid acts. I'm hoping they show Elton John telling the band they stole the show. But so far no confirmation. :(

As for WWRY 2...no clue.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:19 am

Bryan Singer with a post about Freddie Mercury on his instagram account. A picture of Freddie with the text: "I wonder what he'd say about all this". What do we make of this? Is he hinting at something coming up?

Anyhow. This shows that he still thinks about the movie. I am sure he want the Director credits as well. Something I suspect he will get.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 am

Very curious...I think it'd be too early for a trailer...but my hopes are up now.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On