The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Nice, interesting that they don't have the full outfit for what looks to be the brown fur jacket from TOTP though, but my eyes could be deceiving me.

I was thinking to myself earlier, as the first trailer had a focus on the 70s, will the second look into the 80's a little more?

Just a thought.
 
VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am
Location: Wolverhampton
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Nice, interesting that they don't have the full outfit for what looks to be the brown fur jacket from TOTP though, but my eyes could be deceiving me.

I was thinking to myself earlier, as the first trailer had a focus on the 70s, will the second look into the 80's a little more?

Just a thought.


Yes, I don't know if the exhibition shows all the outfits from the film or just the main ones.

Would you say the trailer was more 70s-heavy? I thought it was quite balanced decade-wise. Then again, it was only a teaser...just to show us a taste of what's to come.

And I will put myself out there and state that I think the proper trailer is imminent...any day now - certainly by the end of the month. They have shown some more footage at CineEurope and at a press conference in London last week...so I reckon we shall all be seeing something very soon.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Would you say the trailer was more 70s-heavy? I thought it was quite balanced decade-wise.


It wasn't balanced - it was definitely more '70s heavy. Thank God for that.

Any spoken part of the trailer was '70s. The only '80s shots were the Live Aid segments, on brief shot of Freddie in a gay club, the Hot Space press conference and that was about it.
 
MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Yes, I don't know if the exhibition shows all the outfits from the film or just the main ones.

Would you say the trailer was more 70s-heavy? I thought it was quite balanced decade-wise. Then again, it was only a teaser...just to show us a taste of what's to come.

And I will put myself out there and state that I think the proper trailer is imminent...any day now - certainly by the end of the month. They have shown some more footage at CineEurope and at a press conference in London last week...so I reckon we shall all be seeing something very soon.


I'd imagine it's just a selection of the more 'iconic' looks for now.

Yeah, I'd say it leans slightly more towards the 70's especially as both dialogue scenes are set there.

I don't want to get my hopes up with it being just over 4 weeks since the last release but you could be right. If we get just a little something each month leading up to release I'd be fine with that. Not all trailers as such but clips, behind the scenes stuff and so on to really whet our appetites.
 
VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am
Location: Wolverhampton
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:56 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Would you say the trailer was more 70s-heavy? I thought it was quite balanced decade-wise.


It wasn't balanced - it was definitely more '70s heavy. Thank God for that.

Any spoken part of the trailer was '70s. The only '80s shots were the Live Aid segments, on brief shot of Freddie in a gay club, the Hot Space press conference and that was about it.


Fair enough. Having just watched it again, I shall concur.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:03 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Yes, I don't know if the exhibition shows all the outfits from the film or just the main ones.

Would you say the trailer was more 70s-heavy? I thought it was quite balanced decade-wise. Then again, it was only a teaser...just to show us a taste of what's to come.

And I will put myself out there and state that I think the proper trailer is imminent...any day now - certainly by the end of the month. They have shown some more footage at CineEurope and at a press conference in London last week...so I reckon we shall all be seeing something very soon.


I'd imagine it's just a selection of the more 'iconic' looks for now.

Yeah, I'd say it leans slightly more towards the 70's especially as both dialogue scenes are set there.

I don't want to get my hopes up with it being just over 4 weeks since the last release but you could be right. If we get just a little something each month leading up to release I'd be fine with that. Not all trailers as such but clips, behind the scenes stuff and so on to really whet our appetites.


You are quite right: after watching it again I did notice that it was predominantly the 70s which was featured. I hope we see more of the 80s period next time (and Rami looks so much better with the moustache).

I think the proper trailer is just around the corner. And I am sure there will be other teasers along the way. I bet this film is going to look and sound absolutely beautiful on the big screen...and if any band was simply made to be on the big screen it is this one. I am hoping for some surprises during the end credits too.

And one more thing. I have just recalled that Phoebe stated that we may well be hearing some unreleased music too - alternative takes, etc. rather than new songs, I think. This should make it even more exciting. Happy days.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm surprised you guys think there will be another trailer soon. That's super hopeful thinking. I just don't see it happening. I think we're lucky to have gotten what we did get! Oh but I hope I'm wrong. I'm dying for another trailer...preferably one with dialogue. I'd love to see some glimpses of Freddie with Mary, or hell, Jim with Freddie...that'd be something, wouldn't it? We also haven't heard John or Roger talk...I mean, if they're anything remotely close to Brian's voice I'll be happy.

Frankly, I need to hear more from Rami as Freddie. Rami has such a distinctive voice it's hard to look passed it. From what I heard so far it's not Freddie enough. I want to be proven wrong.
 
Frank
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:49 am

Lover Boy wrote:I'm surprised you guys think there will be another trailer soon. That's super hopeful thinking. I just don't see it happening. I think we're lucky to have gotten what we did get! Oh but I hope I'm wrong. I'm dying for another trailer...preferably one with dialogue. I'd love to see some glimpses of Freddie with Mary, or hell, Jim with Freddie...that'd be something, wouldn't it? We also haven't heard John or Roger talk...I mean, if they're anything remotely close to Brian's voice I'll be happy.

Frankly, I need to hear more from Rami as Freddie. Rami has such a distinctive voice it's hard to look passed it. From what I heard so far it's not Freddie enough. I want to be proven wrong.


I'm really only going by the fact that they have recently released more unseen footage to the press, etc., but, as you say, maybe it is wishful thinking. I have been convinced for a while now that we would definitely see the trailer by the end of this month...

...but June is swiftly fucking off and still no sign.

I am not too bothered about how 'Roger' and 'Deaky' sound in the film. But I do hope Rami gets as close as possible to Freddie's distinctive voice - and it was distinctive. I am not expecting him to be absolutely perfect, but at least a little similar - as long as he sounds very English then it's all good for me.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I'm really only going by the fact that they have recently released more unseen footage to the press, etc., but, as you say, maybe it is wishful thinking. I have been convinced for a while now that we would definitely see the trailer by the end of this month...

...but June is swiftly fucking off and still no sign.

I am not too bothered about how 'Roger' and 'Deaky' sound in the film. But I do hope Rami gets as close as possible to Freddie's distinctive voice - and it was distinctive. I am not expecting him to be absolutely perfect, but at least a little similar - as long as he sounds very English then it's all good for me.


Just over a week left of June and that's enough time for them to put something out, wishful thinking though that may be.

John and Roger also had distinctive voices (John's being an endearingly plummy and slightly nasal motor mouth and Roger's being almost wispy but gravelly at the same time) so it'd be interesting if those little nuances will make it but Freddie's is one they have to get right and so far we haven't heard much that's too convincing.

SOMETHING is there but we haven't heard too much of it yet to make a proper opinion.

Lee's vocal performance as Brian is incredible though.
 
VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am
Location: Wolverhampton
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby YAFF » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 am

Lover Boy wrote:
Frankly, I need to hear more from Rami as Freddie. Rami has such a distinctive voice it's hard to look passed it. From what I heard so far it's not Freddie enough. I want to be proven wrong.


From what I've seen and heard Rami was a poor choice. Doesn't look or sound ANYTHING like Freddie. Sorry but he's too damn ugly to be Freddie. It's distracting. I believe the general public will enjoy this movie more than a true blue Queen fan.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2268
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 237 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:58 am

YAFF wrote:
Lover Boy wrote:
Frankly, I need to hear more from Rami as Freddie. Rami has such a distinctive voice it's hard to look passed it. From what I heard so far it's not Freddie enough. I want to be proven wrong.


From what I've seen and heard Rami was a poor choice. Doesn't look or sound ANYTHING like Freddie. Sorry but he's too damn ugly to be Freddie. It's distracting. I believe the general public will enjoy this movie more than a true blue Queen fan.


Well, I wouldn't say he's ugly. He's a handsome guy. The real problem is Freddie had a very distinctive face. The overbite, the jaw line, even his forehead. He was an odd looking character. To be honest, I am impressed with what I've seen of Rami's overbite. I was wondering how they'd pull it off, and dare I say it, I think they got that part right.
 
Frank
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Freddie was way better looking than Rami. Both in visage and physicality. It's a shame he's being played by a less attractive actor who lacks his commanding presence. However, good acting is good acting. If he puts in a great performance backed by decent writing and directing it won't matter, but no one is gonna be able to adequately fake that special charisma Freddie had which was so photogenic, with Live Aid being the most famous example. The creative talent on the film is really up against something special with Live Aid, because Freddie was able to direct the camera as well, star in his own production as it were, which makes it such a uniquely brilliant filmed event. Few actors are as good at reading how to play to a camera as Freddie could do intuitively. There's a lot of great examples of this, like the These are the days of our lives video.
 
Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Texas » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm

A lot more Queen on the radio here in Texas and quite a lot of buzz about the movie. I think it will do quite well. With the dearth of really good movies these days Hollywood really needs this movie.
 
Texas
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Haven't noticed much difference in PA. We'll have the occasional radio host mention the movie though.

As for who is prettier...Freddie vs Rami...of course the reward goes to Freddie. But that doesn't kill or take anything away from Rami's performance. From what little I've seen, I'd say there's definite potential.
 
Frank
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:54 am

Fox released the full trailer for "Predator" yesterday. This movie has its premiere 14th September. The Queen biopic debuts in UK in late October. So maybe the full trailer isnt more than a month away? Hopefully! But there are no exact formula to when they release these trailers. But there is a chance we might see it in a months time!
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 58 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests