The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Glad you guys agree with me. Time will tell, but I'd be willing to make a large sum bet on it!

By the way, I googled "Bohemian Rhapsody Movie" and on the right where you see wiki's info it listed Tom Hooper as a third director of the film. I then clicked on the wiki link and didn't see his name listed anywhere. I don't even see it on imbd. So...a glitch? I haven't heard anything about this Hooper dude.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am

Lover Boy wrote:Glad you guys agree with me. Time will tell, but I'd be willing to make a large sum bet on it!

By the way, I googled "Bohemian Rhapsody Movie" and on the right where you see wiki's info it listed Tom Hooper as a third director of the film. I then clicked on the wiki link and didn't see his name listed anywhere. I don't even see it on imbd. So...a glitch? I haven't heard anything about this Hooper dude.

You sound exactly the same as me: Googling anything Bohemian Rhapsody-related like a true obsessive. :P

Seriously though, I cannot believe that there is absolutely zero news anywhere on the internet (and, boy, have I looked!); not a solitary leak of any description. They must be keeping this thing well under wraps - maybe lessons were learnt after the Live Aid footage surfaced so quickly last year. Whatever, I just hope we see something soon.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Glad you guys agree with me. Time will tell, but I'd be willing to make a large sum bet on it!

Presumably this guy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hooper

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Yes, obviously. But there's nothing to back up his involvement.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:

You sound exactly the same as me: Googling anything Bohemian Rhapsody-related like a true obsessive. :P

I search several times a day. Just earlier I got a notification on my phone that a new trailer dropped for a movie called Mercury 13. Of course, my instant thought was "OH MY GOD YES!!!" but then I realized it wasn't Bohemian Rhapsody. Just the site of "Mercury" got me pumped.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 am

Another_Roger wrote:I am actually amazed how small the interest is for this enormous project is in the Queen community. We will never ever experience such an investment in Queen ever again. It fells like people dont understand how big this can potentially be.

I find it hard to get particularly excited about the film because, to be brutally honest, I think there's more chance they'll screw it up than not. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that's where I stand at the moment. Why get excited when I'll probably just be let down?

On top of that, the only actual hard evidence we have from the film are some photos of the cast looking pretty, and that's such a minor part of what will make it good or bad. I can name any number of movies that look fantastic but are otherwise total pants. I'm far more interested in the cast's performances and the script, and we know nothing about that thus far.

I am looking forward to seeing a trailer though, as that will hopefully reveal more about where the film is going.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 am

Leigh Burne wrote:I find it hard to get particularly excited about the film because, to be brutally honest, I think there's more chance they'll screw it up than not. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that's where I stand at the moment. Why get excited when I'll probably just be let down?

On top of that, the only actual hard evidence we have from the film are some photos of the cast looking pretty, and that's such a minor part of what will make it good or bad. I can name any number of movies that look fantastic but are otherwise total pants. I'm far more interested in the cast's performances and the script, and we know nothing about that thus far.

I am looking forward to seeing a trailer though, as that will hopefully reveal more about where the film is going.

Although I agree that we cannot in any way judge how the movie will be from a few photos, the positive signs are there: the film has now been moved nearly two months forward (if it was a pile of shite, there is no way in hell a studio would do this); the scriptwriter himself stated that - from what he had already seen - this film was going to be amazing and that Rami should be winning a few awards (scriptwriters are normally a possessive lot regarding their scripts - so he is obviously happy with what they have done with his, which is a good sign); the cast members we have 'heard' from have been positively glowing about their work and time on this film (normally if a film is going to be a turkey, actors keep pretty quiet and quickly move on to the next project); and at least the cast actually resemble the boys too (no, not the be all and end all, but still).

Hand on heart, I think we are on to a winner here. I try not to be too positive or excited with Queen projects anymore (as you say, one gets disappointed), but I believe this film is going to be a stunner.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 am

It certainly should be OK.

I'm still a bit curious how they'll balance what "really happened", with the "perceived required level" of Hollywood dramatism. I think we all know these things are often tarnished with little bits of flowery b/s to keep the audience interested.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby BitterTears » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Yeah, I think we (as in "serious" Queen fans) might find the lack of strict accuracy distracting at times. That being the case, we'll just have to accept that they aren't actually mistakes per se, just a bit of artistic license.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby slightlymad1970 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Not seen this yet but it looks like a fantastic Biopic released last year, Borg vs McEnroe. The story of the rivalry between Borg and McEnroe. The trailer is stunning and the attention to detail is amazing, this is the sort of standard I would expect from Bohemian Rhapsody - The Movie.

It will be interesting to see how the Box Office for this compares with the Freddie/Queen biopic. Borg vs McEnroe took $137,000 in the UK and it's best market so far has been Italy, taking $2,294,305. Worldwide its Box Office stands at $16,657,800 but it has yet to be released in America.

Trailer
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=borg+vs+mcenroe+film&&view=detail&mid=14FFB90B9B265274E7EB14FFB90B9B265274E7EB&&FORM=VRDGAR
Nice website too
https://www.borgvsmcenroefilm.com

PS it had a $7.500,000 budget.

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Pretty confident it will beat the tennis film's UK gross anyway.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:27 am

BitterTears wrote:Pretty confident it will beat the tennis film's UK gross anyway.

I shall go out on a complete limb here and predict that it will become the most successful music biopic to date (which I believe is currently Walk The Line - a great film); Freddie's amazing story alone should have enough people interested; and let's not forget all the publicity surrounding this project for the last few years. Honestly, I think this will be a smash.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Hutchence » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:40 pm

The all-time highest grossing music biopic is Straight Outta Compton (2015) - budget 50 mil $/ box office 202 mil $.

Walk the line (2005) is second- budget 28 mil $/ box office 187 mil $.

Ray (2004), for example, had 40 mil $ budget with 125 mil $ in box office.

Hutchence
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Hutchence wrote:The all-time highest grossing music biopic is Straight Outta Compton (2015) - budget 50 mil $/ box office 202 mil $.

Walk the line (2005) is second- budget 28 mil $/ box office 187 mil $.

Ray (2004), for example, had 40 mil $ budget with 125 mil $ in box office.

Well, as the old adage goes: there ain't no accounting for taste; Walk The Line should be well above that Compton rubbish.

I still think Bo Rhap will become a massive hit. Of course, I would love it to knock SOC from the top spot, but that will, alas, take some beating.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The Milkman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:30 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
BitterTears wrote:Pretty confident it will beat the tennis film's UK gross anyway.

I shall go out on a complete limb here and predict that it will become the most successful music biopic to date (which I believe is currently Walk The Line - a great film); Freddie's amazing story alone should have enough people interested; and let's not forget all the publicity surrounding this project for the last few years. Honestly, I think this will be a smash.

I think the NWA movie broke that record.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On