The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Loris1985 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Jeffrey Shapiro's version lasts 150 minutes, but, as he said, it will surely be cut - let's hope not too much, so that it can last 120 minutes. Perhaps the most extended version will be published later in the DVD. According to some articles, the trailer might be released on Freddie's birthday, September 5. to be honest I hope before, as such trailers are in general released 6 months before the début.
 
Loris1985
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Italy
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm

I don't know how the movie will be edited...so much ground to cover after all. I wouldn't want to be the one/s that are editing this film, that's for sure.
A trailer that has apparently been seen already, wow. I hope for a public trailer sooner than later however.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16438
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 pm

icy wrote:I don't know how the movie will be edited...so much ground to cover after all. I wouldn't want to be the one/s that are editing this film, that's for sure.
A trailer that has apparently been seen already, wow. I hope for a public trailer sooner than later however.


To be fair, I don't think this was a trailer they were showing, more the entire rough cut of the film. It will be heavily edited and changed in many ways before we see the final result. I cannot wait.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

What they ought to do is reach out to some genuine, die hard Queen fans and let them see a rough cut of the film. Our opinion should hold some weight, don'tchathink? :P
 
Frank
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Lover Boy wrote:What they ought to do is reach out to some genuine, die hard Queen fans and let them see a rough cut of the film. Our opinion should hold some weight, don'tchathink? :P



You’d think that a selection of diehard fans should be amongst those used at test screenings to gauge audience reaction, but you can guarantee that won’t happen!
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby lelemaple » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Unfortunately I don't think that's how it works. Screenings of the current cut of a film are scheduled through an independent organization which works with the studios and emails registered users who sign up and attend. The sole purpose is to provide feedback for future editing. It's possible that there were diehards there but they can't talk about it publicly.
 
lelemaple
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 143
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:16 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Lover Boy wrote:What they ought to do is reach out to some genuine, die hard Queen fans and let them see a rough cut of the film. Our opinion should hold some weight, don'tchathink? :P


Nice try, Sir! :lol:
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I have just read that one of the film sites I read from time to time is about to receive the Bo Rhap script (as well as other ones); I shall keep you all posted when - and if! - this happens...there could be quite a lot for us to discuss and cheer/worry about. :P
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby BitterTears » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Might be tricky to avoid spoilers from now on then. Might have to pull the shutters done with regards to the movie until release if loads of people knoe exactly what happens.
 
BitterTears
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 am

The script?! If that info got into our hands I'm not sure what I'd do. I certainly don't want to spoil the movie! But how could I resist? This place might not be good for my sanity. How would admin respond to us spilling beans around here? I wonder if the hammer would fall...ba dum tsss!
 
Frank
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm

BitterTears wrote:Might be tricky to avoid spoilers from now on then. Might have to pull the shutters done with regards to the movie until release if loads of people knoe exactly what happens.


Well, I definitely will not be revealing anything on here unless asked to do so (that's if I see the script!) - and then I shall just leave a link. The script may never materialise anyway; and I am in two minds whether I want to read it or not.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Lover Boy wrote:The script?! If that info got into our hands I'm not sure what I'd do. I certainly don't want to spoil the movie! But how could I resist? This place might not be good for my sanity. How would admin respond to us spilling beans around here? I wonder if the hammer would fall...ba dum tsss!


I am so with you on this; half of me wants to read every bloody line and analyse every single scene, etc. But the other half of me would rather wait for the movie.

Oh, and whisper this very quietly...

...I won't post anything on here that is not allowed (I respect the fact that QPL would like everything under wraps, etc.); but there are always PMs :P
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 am

Since I've been a huge Queen fan since I was very small, I'm naturally quite excited for this, but I have a couple of concerns:

1) John will be reduced to standing in the background (often literally, I guess) while Freddie, Brian and Roger take the forefront, totally downplaying John's overlooked contribution to the band.

2) Important members of the band's circle such as Ratty will be omitted.


Not to mention the fact that as such big fans, it's all to easy for us to get our expectations high and forget that the film has to appeal towards a casual market so little injokes and delves into what could be considered lesser known tracks won't be there.

Besides, we all have our own ideas about what the film might contain, it's natural to considering the lack of promo material.

Such as these silly little nuggets:

Freddie dragging the others along to see The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke.....again. :p

Freddie throwing rocks at Reid's window.

After John Reid's firing, we get an angry montage of Freddie writing Death On Two Legs along with a performance of it, everything is visceral and aggressive, until a very familiar jaunty little piano intro starts to play afterwards.... ;)

A lot of Freddie and John (Deacon) scenes, showing Freddie mentoring John and getting him to come out of his shell.

Roger locking himself in a cupboard over the uhm-ing and -ahh-ing over I'm In Love With My Car being the B-Side to Bo-Rhap.

Freddie meets Sid Vicious....and strongarms him out of the studio.

Freddie's appearence on The Kenny Everett Show recreated

Freddie composing CLTCL in the bath, with help from Ratty.

The I Want To Break Free video recreated amongst a montage of disgust amongst the american fans and joy amongst the UK fans (bonus points if the Corrie theme is heard at one point).

Smith And Jones introducing the band at Live Aid.

And I think I've worn myself out with all these!

Nice to be here, by the way.
 
VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am
Location: Wolverhampton
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Since I've been a huge Queen fan since I was very small, I'm naturally quite excited for this, but I have a couple of concerns:

1) John will be reduced to standing in the background (often literally, I guess) while Freddie, Brian and Roger take the forefront, totally downplaying John's overlooked contribution to the band.

2) Important members of the band's circle such as Ratty will be omitted.


Not to mention the fact that as such big fans, it's all to easy for us to get our expectations high and forget that the film has to appeal towards a casual market so little injokes and delves into what could be considered lesser known tracks won't be there.

Besides, we all have our own ideas about what the film might contain, it's natural to considering the lack of promo material.

Such as these silly little nuggets:

Freddie dragging the others along to see The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke.....again. :p

Freddie throwing rocks at Reid's window.

After John Reid's firing, we get an angry montage of Freddie writing Death On Two Legs along with a performance of it, everything is visceral and aggressive, until a very familiar jaunty little piano intro starts to play afterwards.... ;)

A lot of Freddie and John (Deacon) scenes, showing Freddie mentoring John and getting him to come out of his shell.

Roger locking himself in a cupboard over the uhm-ing and -ahh-ing over I'm In Love With My Car being the B-Side to Bo-Rhap.

Freddie meets Sid Vicious....and strongarms him out of the studio.

Freddie's appearence on The Kenny Everett Show recreated

Freddie composing CLTCL in the bath, with help from Ratty.

The I Want To Break Free video recreated amongst a montage of disgust amongst the american fans and joy amongst the UK fans (bonus points if the Corrie theme is heard at one point).

Smith And Jones introducing the band at Live Aid.

And I think I've worn myself out with all these!

Nice to be here, by the way.


All the things you have mentioned I would love to see in the film - especially the Sid Vicious meeting (if that is not in there then they are bleedin' mental).

I don't know why you think that Deacy will be reduced to literally nothing in this film. What has given you this impression? Personally, I think he will be featured just as heavily as Brian and Roger (all an important part of Freddie's story). But, who knows?

Anyway, good points made. And welcome! :)
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Perhaps I was being dramatic (no, no perhaps, I was!), apologies.

Turning my worries around into a positive, I believe than the film can shine a good light into Freddie and John's relationship and John's contribution to the band as a whole.
 
VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am
Location: Wolverhampton
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 15 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Khashoggi and 16 guests