The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby JLP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am

Just in case anyone is wondering, I pulled the previous movie thread for reasons that I really don't want to publically discuss.

Let's start again with one or two guidelines.

Any post that is seen as remotely slanderous will incur an immediate ban, no warnings at all.

Any spam type youtube posts will also be removed. by all means, discuss the merits of actors but bear in mind the opinions of others.

Thanks.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Markholland » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

I would love to have some official news about it. It's been in development for quite a while now and I'm starting to lose hope that it will ever really happen.
Just as with other films that hold my interest I want to follow the updates. I want a pic of SBC as Freddie to satisfy some of my curiosity or at least some kind of detail about how things are gonna look.

Markholland

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:03 pm

I'd also like some more news on this. It's been in the ether for ages now. I'm looking forward to seeing it, so it would be nice to hear how the production is going, even if it's just a 'filming has started'-type message.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby mab » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Call me negative but I still find it hard to believe that this will EVER actually appear.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby Montreux » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Montreux
Spread Your Wings

Follow that Dream...

Postby Dear Friends » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm

I really do think that people are underestimating how much of a rupturing event the departure of the initial writer is. Remember Peter Morgan saying he was 'immersing himself in the live of Freddie Mercury', well any new writer would also have to do this.

I would say that Morgan's departure makes a stock, 'safer' biopic more likely, with band input likely to increase with the more diminished profile of any other writer.

Furthermore, a delay in producing a movie is disruptive in the sense that it gets removed from the stack, with a number of people falling off the project due to clashes. I think we should perhaps speculate on other projects for the moment.

Dear Friends
Spread Your Wings

Postby Markholland » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Montreux wrote:Any news? Here we go!
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/katy- ... ury/272554

Haha yeah technically that's news. But I would like an article saying that something will happen instead of all the things that won't :P

Markholland

Postby soxtalon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Well in one of the Q+AL interviews Brian made mention of shooting starting this fall I believe...I can't remember which one...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Administrator » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:53 pm

That is pretty much on the money as it stands, well the last I heard anyway.

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Dear Friends wrote:I really do think that people are underestimating how much of a rupturing event the departure of the initial writer is. Remember Peter Morgan saying he was 'immersing himself in the live of Freddie Mercury', well any new writer would also have to do this.

I would say that Morgan's departure makes a stock, 'safer' biopic more likely, with band input likely to increase with the more diminished profile of any other writer.

Furthermore, a delay in producing a movie is disruptive in the sense that it gets removed from the stack, with a number of people falling off the project due to clashes. I think we should perhaps speculate on other projects for the moment.

Totally agree with you on this. It's not as simple as hiring another scriptwriter to have another go at the story! As you said, the new writer will have to immerse him/herself in the life and story of Freddie. I'm gutted Peter Morgan is not doing this, and would love to know the full reason(s) as to why.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby QueenUSA » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:19 pm

I think that Roger and Brian are obsessed with increasing their profile here in the U.S., so if *they* are the ones that made it too difficult for Peter Morgan to carry on...well, they made an incredible blunder.

This film is, by far, Queen's greatest opportunity to raise their profile in America.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby slightlymad1970 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Markholland wrote:I would love to have some official news about it. It's been in development for quite a while now and I'm starting to lose hope that it will ever really happen.
Just as with other films that hold my interest I want to follow the updates. I want a pic of SBC as Freddie to satisfy some of my curiosity or at least some kind of detail about how things are gonna look.

Can't remember where but i saw an interview with Sharon Osbourne and she said she saw a photo of SBC as Freddie with THE teeth and the likeness was unreal, so perhaps there is something doing the rounds?

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby The Sixpence » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm not sure it's something I would go and see anyway.

The Sixpence

Postby Elenir » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Montreux wrote:Any news? Here we go!
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/katy- ... ury/272554
I have to say I was a bit relieved when I read that.

Elenir
Spread Your Wings

Postby Markholland » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:23 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:Can't remember where but i saw an interview with Sharon Osbourne and she said she saw a photo of SBC as Freddie with THE teeth and the likeness was unreal, so perhaps there is something doing the rounds?

Cool! Let's hope it leaks onto the internet.

Markholland

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On