The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:25 pm

The Bob Harris NOTW film took 40 years to be completed and released....this one has a while to go to beat that!!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

In what I’m sure is entirely unrelated news, Bryan Singer is no longer represented by his long-term publicist Simon Halls, and his point of contact is now his lawyer:

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/02/fox-ha ... an-singer/

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Apparently this has moved on now and Singer has been sacked... will be interesting to see Brian’s reaction!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... os-1063977

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

cmsdrums wrote:Apparently this has moved on now and Singer has been sacked... will be interesting to see Brian’s reaction!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... os-1063977

Interesting...

So first he (and a relative) were ill, now he’s been fired for unprofessional behaviour, and in the background those allegations that won’t go away.

So what’s true and what’s the smokescreen?

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

After going through development hell for however many years, i figured once filming actually started it would be plain sailing until release. I guess not. Anyone know how long shooting was supposed be for and/or how far through it they got?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Given that they’ve already shot lots of scenes and have a full cast and the likes of De Niro involved, it shouldn’t be THAT difficult to draft in a new director.

Get Peter Jackson, he’ll move it to New Zealand and turn it into a trilogy.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I don't know the first thing about making movies but I wonder how a new director would feel about coming in at this stage when absolutely everything is all locked in, the script, the cast, the sets and even half the movie is already shot and it's basically just coming in to finish off someone else's vision. Or maybe it's not lile that and the new director will have a lot more control and be able to leave their own stamp on things a lot more than I appreicate.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby 777nevada777 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 pm

I hope they find a director who will take the project out of respect to the legacy of Freddie and the Band. Somebody having a long term association with Queen's music. Edgar Wright?

777nevada777
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 am

BitterTears wrote:After going through development hell for however many years, i figured once filming actually started it would be plain sailing until release. I guess not. Anyone know how long shooting was supposed be for and/or how far through it they got?

A report I've just read suggests there's only 2 weeks of principal photography left to shoot.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby spuzzum42 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:19 am

It's unusual but not unheard of for a director to be let go this far into production. The director of the recent Justice League movie left the project in post-production due to a family tragedy, and another director came in to do reshoots and finish post.
The directors of next year's Han Solo movie were fired with 85% of the film shot. After a hiatus of a few weeks, Ron Howard was hired and he finished the film, reshooting a lot of it, and is now working in post-production.
With only two weeks left, someone will be hired to finish it up. There's too much money in it now to let it drop.

spuzzum42
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:26 am

Christopher Plummer?

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:13 am

Interesting article about Singer's response to being fired. If what he said is true, I guess I kind of feel bad for him. Anyway, judge for yourselves.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/04/bryan-s ... statement/

Quote from Singer:

Bohemian Rhapsody is a passion project of mine. With fewer than three weeks to shoot remaining, I asked Fox for some time off so I could return to the U.S. to deal with pressing health matters concerning one of my parents. This was a very taxing experience, which ultimately took a serious toll on my own health. Unfortunately, the studio was unwilling to accommodate me and terminated my services. This was not my decision and it was beyond my control. Rumors that my unexpected departure from the film was sparked by a dispute I had with Rami Malek are not true. While, at times, we did have creative differences on set, Rami and I successfully put those differences behind us and continued to work on the film together until just prior to Thanksgiving. I wanted nothing more than to be able to finish this project and help honor the legacy of Freddie Mercury and Queen, but Fox would not permit me to do so because I needed to temporarily put my health, and the health of my loved ones, first.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Michael Allred » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:25 am

Singer was hired due to his blockbuster "X-Men" films and the critical darling that was "The Usual Suspects." Hollywood will deal with quite a bit if you deliver the goods. 

I would say that the stated excuse for his dismissal sounds like BS to me. I suspect the producers are wary of Singer's past and fear new allegations would sink their box office and obvious Oscar hopes and so cut their losses early. 

This film WILL be finished. They've spent too much money already to even think otherwise. 
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Postby QueenUSA » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 am

Michael Allred wrote:Singer was hired due to his blockbuster "X-Men" films and the critical darling that was "The Usual Suspects." Hollywood will deal with quite a bit if you deliver the goods. 

I would say that the stated excuse for his dismissal sounds like BS to me. I suspect the producers are wary of Singer's past and fear new allegations would sink their box office and obvious Oscar hopes and so cut their losses early. 

This film WILL be finished. They've spent too much money already to even think otherwise. 

I hope so and it's still released this time next year.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby AlaRegularis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 am

I too suspect it has more to do with the allegations against Singer than anything else. These allegations have been lingering for quite some time now, and it's a real bummer because I've Always liked his work. Seems you can't trust anyone in Hollywood these (or any other) days.

AlaRegularis
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On