The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 pm

cmsdrums wrote:re: that second picture...presumably poetic/dramatic license at work; would they have had/did they really still have Greatest Hits on a massively prominent display like that in 1985??

Definitely dramatic license for sure; I am guessing this will be part of the scene in which Freddie realises his solo effort has failed commercially (hence the 50% off sticker on the Mr Bad Guy album) and that Queen are bigger than them all separately (hence the GH1 albums on show). Just a guess, but it really would not surprise me.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby BitterTears » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:55 pm

So that picture is supposed to be Munich, is that right?

I get the idea that there could be a scene where Freddie looks back and forth between the doing well Queen's Greatest Hits and heavily discounted Mr Bad Guy and decides to re-dedicate himself to the band so a bit of artistic license is needed but is it definitely impossible that in the second half of 1985, a music shop could have Queen's Greatest Hits in the window (maybe still enjoying a post Live Aid bounce?) as well as separately trying to shift a few copies of the still relatively recent Mr Bad Guy(at a special discounted price!)?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Welshqueenfan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Jon ottman did a wonderful job on the score of superman returns. He did original composition combined with the famous john williams score. It was great.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 pm

I really do need to listen to John Ottman's music. Other than Superman Returns, would anyone recommend some of his other work? Would like to get a good idea of what he's capable of.

Also...curious question...does anyone know who is playing guitar, bass, keyboards, drums etc. in the movie? As far as I know, the actors aren't experts on the instruments. Are Brian and Roger playing? It'd make sense, wouldn't it? I do know that Marc Martel was seen at Abbey Road Studios just prior or at the start of filming. And you can tell it's him singing in that Live Aid scene that leaked. Though Rami also said that he'd be doing some singing...which, sorry, doesn't sound all too promising. Heard him sing on a show once before. Don't think he's got the chops, but I could be wrong.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I really do need to listen to John Ottman's music. Other than Superman Returns, would anyone recommend some of his other work? Would like to get a good idea of what he's capable of.

Also...curious question...does anyone know who is playing guitar, bass, keyboards, drums etc. in the movie? As far as I know, the actors aren't experts on the instruments. Are Brian and Roger playing? It'd make sense, wouldn't it? I do know that Marc Martel was seen at Abbey Road Studios just prior or at the start of filming. And you can tell it's him singing in that Live Aid scene that leaked. Though Rami also said that he'd be doing some singing...which, sorry, doesn't sound all too promising. Heard him sing on a show once before. Don't think he's got the chops, but I could be wrong.

Hmm. I can't see Brian and Roger playing along to what Rami sings as Freddie. That would be very odd, IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Not sure how that's odd. As music producers, they'd want as close a sound to the original band as possible. So it wouldn't surprise me if they'd take a more hands on approach and actually record themselves for scenes in the movie. I really don't have a problem with that, and I'm not sure why anyone would. The whole Rami singing thing is another issue in and of itself. But here we have two out of four Queen members still able to play. I say go for it.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:28 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:re: that second picture...presumably poetic/dramatic license at work; would they have had/did they really still have Greatest Hits on a massively prominent display like that in 1985??

Definitely dramatic license for sure; I am guessing this will be part of the scene in which Freddie realises his solo effort has failed commercially (hence the 50% off sticker on the Mr Bad Guy album) and that Queen are bigger than them all separately (hence the GH1 albums on show). Just a guess, but it really would not surprise me.

Not too far fetched though. Certainly not in light of a timeline, and what Brian, Roger and Jim Beach have touched on in the two recent documentaries.
His advance for mr bad guy was bigger than what Queen was getting. The album tanked big time. 3 months after its release Queen owned live aid and their album sales took off again, by which time Freddie’s album was pretty much dead.
Although the scene from the shop window most likely never took place in real life, I am sure it did figuratively

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pingu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:57 am

I did a bit of basic googling. Seems Greatest Hits 1 was something like the 6th biggest seller in Germany in the 1980s. Of the five or so albums ahead of it, only two were released before 1985 - Face Value, and another album by a German artist I can't remember.
So I guess GH1 was a pretty prominent seller even in the mid 80s. But yes, poetic licence!

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 pm

eiricd wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Definitely dramatic license for sure; I am guessing this will be part of the scene in which Freddie realises his solo effort has failed commercially (hence the 50% off sticker on the Mr Bad Guy album) and that Queen are bigger than them all separately (hence the GH1 albums on show). Just a guess, but it really would not surprise me.

Not too far fetched though. Certainly not in light of a timeline, and what Brian, Roger and Jim Beach have touched on in the two recent documentaries.
His advance for mr bad guy was bigger than what Queen was getting. The album tanked big time. 3 months after its release Queen owned live aid and their album sales took off again, by which time Freddie’s album was pretty much dead.
Although the scene from the shop window most likely never took place in real life, I am sure it did figuratively

I agree. This scene is obviously to show the failing of MBG - and, therefore, Freddie's solo dreams - and the fact that Queen were always bigger than their parts (and sold better!). I reckon this is going to be May/June time in the film, with Freddie in Germany, away from the others, going a little AWOL (partying hard, hedonism, drugs, etc.); and then it hits him, when he passes that particular shop window - that it is time to return to Queen (which will probably be the Live Aid scene).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm

I saw a rumor discussed on Facebook (Official International Queen Fan Club), that Brian and Roger recorded a new song with Adam for the soundtrack of the film. The guy starting it meant, he drove someone yesterday (he’s a Chauffeur), who’s working for Queen in high ranks for more than 20 years and that man told him about it.
I can’t say, if that’s true, but it would fit to the fact, that they were recording in a studio in Nashville (and maybe somewhere else as well) last summer. Since I don’t always buy such things, the story sounds believable to me. Let’s wait and see! ;)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Pingu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 pm

If true, this is gonna go down so well.

Hoo, boy..

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:09 pm

:cool:
If true, I would think, it’s the song running with the credits. Everyone, who doesn’t want to hear it, could run for the exit... :lol:

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Surely no one grudges them recording 1 song together..?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

The same rumour but about Marc has been circulating for a while. Apparently he spent four weeks at, I think Abbey Rd, recording stuff for the film but someone who claims to be in the know said he recorded the soundtrack as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Would be strange if they didnt have a new song for this film in some form. But I'd rather see them record it with Marc.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On