The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Well, as the old adage goes: there ain't no accounting for taste; Walk The Line should be well above that Compton rubbish.

I still think Bo Rhap will become a massive hit. Of course, I would love it to knock SOC from the top spot, but that will, alas, take some beating.

I saw Straight Outta Compton; I thought it was pretty good. I understand it was criticized somewhat for being historically inaccurate, just hope nothing like that happens with BR....

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 pm

I’d rather see it get a really fantastic critical reception, public reviews and an appreciation as a great film, than worry about how many $$$ it makes.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 pm

I think no chance it breaks the record. Queen is not big enough in America I don't think to compare. I think it has a niche enough audience that if it's critically successful it can be financially successful - but nowhere near record breaking.

And truly I'm like cmsdrums - give me a great film with those accolades over money any time.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I'd hope the movie does Freddie justice. Not really caring about the money, or even the awards it could get, but despite all my issues with it...doing him justice is what is important for me.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby smitto78 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 am

I know many of you won't care...I'm watching the LA Kings and Las Vegas Golden Knights play in a hockey playoff series and I just heard Freddie's call and response from Wembley '86 playing within the arena to quite a loud response.

This has been going on all year in Vegas, however I don't think you all understand what is coming with this movie. The Queen brand is set to explode here in the US with the release of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. I have been waiting for 25 years for people to understand my love for this band. It's coming...but I truly believe the build for this movie will rest on 5 things:

1. Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Rami Malek's star power
3. We Will Rock You
4. We Are the Champions
5. Another One Bites the Dust

Think what you will, but in the US, those songs define Queen to those who have a limited knowledge of the Queen catalogue, and that is what will carry this movie. I think, as fans, we should have some faith in Malek's fans and how much they will help carry this film.
"Dom. DAH-DAH! Huh?" – Fred

smitto78
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 am

smitto78 wrote:I know many of you won't care...I'm watching the LA Kings and Las Vegas Golden Knights play in a hockey playoff series and I just heard Freddie's call and response from Wembley '86 playing within the arena to quite a loud response.

This has been going on all year in Vegas, however I don't think you all understand what is coming with this movie. The Queen brand is set to explode here in the US with the release of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. I have been waiting for 25 years for people to understand my love for this band. It's coming...but I truly believe the build for this movie will rest on 5 things:

1. Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Rami Malek's star power
3. We Will Rock You
4. We Are the Champions
5. Another One Bites the Dust

Think what you will, but in the US, those songs define Queen to those who have a limited knowledge of the Queen catalogue, and that is what will carry this movie. I think, as fans, we should have some faith in Malek's fans and how much they will help carry this film.

Hi :). Welcome to QOL :)
What a game, I watched it too. Glad the team won tonight, wow, I'm actually amazed and happily surprised hockey is popular there. Good luck to them for the cup.
I never thought of Rami's fanbase before. If you know about it,is his fans looking forward to this film?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby smitto78 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 am

Very, very much appreciated!

Honestly, I don't know much about Rami. I know 'Mr. Robot' is popular among fans of its genre, but I don't know where their taste in music lies. I can tell you his fans are expecting big things out of him hitting the big screen as 'Freddie Mercury'. As Queen fans, we do need to remember it is him playing a role, not him literally bringing Freddie back to life. He is bringing Freddie back to life on screen.

Also, Mercury is seen as a bit of an enigma in the US. Queen has gained an enormous amount of popularity as one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands in history, but it has only come in the past 10-15 years. The same goes for Freddie. You either know everything about him, or you know nothing. That's why this movie is going to be so interesting in so many different ways.

In my eyes, it will either be a huge hit, or a gigantic cult hit. The music will determine where this film goes in the next 6 months. As critical as many are on this forum about Brian and Roger, I think they will make sure the music carries this film in the right direction. Just my opinion.
"Dom. DAH-DAH! Huh?" – Fred

smitto78
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 am

smitto78 wrote:Very, very much appreciated!

Honestly, I don't know much about Rami. I know 'Mr. Robot' is popular among fans of its genre, but I don't know where their taste in music lies. I can tell you his fans are expecting big things out of him hitting the big screen as 'Freddie Mercury'. As Queen fans, we do need to remember it is him playing a role, not him literally bringing Freddie back to life. He is bringing Freddie back to life on screen.

Also, Mercury is seen as a bit of an enigma in the US. Queen has gained an enormous amount of popularity as one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands in history, but it has only come in the past 10-15 years. The same goes for Freddie. You either know everything about him, or you know nothing. That's why this movie is going to be so interesting in so many different ways.

In my eyes, it will either be a huge hit, or a gigantic cult hit. The music will determine where this film goes in the next 6 months. As critical as many are on this forum about Brian and Roger, I think they will make sure the music carries this film in the right direction. Just my opinion.

You are bringing up very good points. Some of which I've never thought about before, such as R.M's fanbase. I'm aware of his other works, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of his. I do know the show ET Canada has mentioned the film a few times, it's getting the word out, and I'm sure there will be more mentions in the future.
I'm so conflicted about this film. So many ups and downs, waiting for it for years it seems, and I can hardly believe it will be out there in just a few months. I hope it does Freddie justice...only time will tell if it will. I can't even guess how it will do money, publicity, and award wise. It has some very tough competition biopic wise.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:43 am

soxtalon wrote:I think no chance it breaks the record. Queen is not big enough in America I don't think to compare. I think it has a niche enough audience that if it's critically successful it can be financially successful - but nowhere near record breaking.

And truly I'm like cmsdrums - give me a great film with those accolades over money any time.

But it's not just about America, is it? I reckon it will probably fare worse in The States than virtually anywhere else - I just do not think Queen receive the respect they deserve over there. Thankfully, we have the rest of the world.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:55 am

I think we're understimating America. And besides, it's all in the marketing. As long as it gets the attention it deserves, it could very well work. But if they do a shit job of advertising, then yeah. The key I think will be to make sure EVERYONE knows it's happening. With a title like Bohemian Rhapsody most people not living under a rock will know the song, thus getting plenty of eyebrows raised...in theory.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I think we're understimating America. And besides, it's all in the marketing. As long as it gets the attention it deserves, it could very well work. But if they do a shit job of advertising, then yeah. The key I think will be to make sure EVERYONE knows it's happening. With a title like Bohemian Rhapsody most people not living under a rock will know the song, thus getting plenty of eyebrows raised...in theory.

This is true.

I think a lot is going to hang on the trailer reception; they get that right and I think we could have a smash. I am more nervous about this trailer than anything in a long while - they just better get it right.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 pm

This should get all of you a little excited. It looks like a preview of the movie has been shown in Los Angeles, according to reports from an Italian Queen website, reports from a gentleman named Jeffrey Shapiro

Below is the translation from Italian to English
News | The Bohemian Rhapsody Movie can be seen from next 2 November without age restrictions. His music should have been completed and a first complete assembly of 150 minutes is already in the hands of production.

Let us know Jeffrey Shapiro (thank you for the availability demonstrated), drummer of the villains in vogue at night and employed at the infocast during day, which (for reasons that cannot be revealed) witnessed a preview of the film In Los Angeles:

" tonight I saw the preview of this movie! Good movie. This is all I am allowed to say (I signed a confidentiality agreement and I know that I will catch...)

Another thing, at this point, has a pg assessment.
All I can say is that it lasts two and a half hours and will certainly be cut. I think the music was ultimate ".

Here's a link to the Italian Queen website, unfortunately its in Italian but it does have a few photos related to the movie I haven't seen before.

https://comunitaqueeniana.weebly.com/news-of-the-world/il-film-sulla-carriera-di-freddie-sta-deventando-un-romanzo-infinito

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:02 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:This should get all of you a little excited. It looks like a preview of the movie has been shown in Los Angeles, according to reports from an Italian Queen website, reports from a gentleman named Jeffrey Shapiro

News | The Bohemian Rhapsody Movie can be seen from next 2 November without age restrictions. His music should have been completed and a first complete assembly of 150 minutes is already in the hands of production.

Let us know Jeffrey Shapiro (thank you for the availability demonstrated), drummer of the villains in vogue at night and employed at the infocast during day, which (for reasons that cannot be revealed) witnessed a preview of the film In Los Angeles:

" tonight I saw the preview of this movie! Good movie. This is all I am allowed to say (I signed a confidentiality agreement and I know that I will catch...)

All I can say is that it lasts two and a half hours and will certainly be cut. I think the music was ultimate ".

Here's a link to the Italian Queen website, unfortunately its in Italian but it does have a few photos related to the movie I haven't seen before.

https://comunitaqueeniana.weebly.com/news-of-the-world/il-film-sulla-carriera-di-freddie-sta-deventando-un-romanzo-infinito

Aahh. Great info man! Maybe more will follow quite soon? A trailer can not be that far away. Now please!

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby EDWOOD » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:This should get all of you a little excited. It looks like a preview of the movie has been shown in Los Angeles, according to reports from an Italian Queen website, reports from a gentleman named Jeffrey Shapiro

Sounds good so far. I hope it is this length as it needs the time to tell the story right. 150 minutes (at least) should do it. Also looking forward to the John Ottman score - he did well with the X-men movies and the score to Valkyrie (2008) is amazing IMO.

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Wonderful find! At last, a little news to get us salivating once more. Great stuff. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On