The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 pm

^ Thanks for that info, it's very interesting! I'm not a movie buff so I'm way out the loop.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Pingu wrote:Speculation time but it'd be surprising if they don't recreate the Bo Rhap video shoot in some form. If you look at any of the biopics that get made nowadays, for better or worse, they always recreate the 'iconic' moments. With Queen, I can think of just a few, Bo Rhap video, Live Aid, the Radio Gaga handclaps/video, maybe the Break Free vid.

And of course it's a neat bookend in a way, to have Bo Rhap as their breakthrough hit and as the moment they sealed their legendary status at Live Aid.

Is it December yet..?

After all, the film IS called "Bohemian Rhapsody".
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DANAIR737 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 pm

icy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:I think I know too much about how it ended. Maybe that's coloring my view about it.
Freddie's determination and guts still blows me away. Such an inspiration for so many reasons.
Thank you, Freddie. I hope the movie does him proud.

Same (I blame Mercury And Me - Jim's description of Freddie's pain in that book broke my heart).

I reached 44 years old this year (never expected to make it to 40 to be honest) and it really hit me how Freddie was only a year older than myself when he passed; and that by the time he was my age he had been battling that relentless, merciless illness for years and had been in so much pain most of that time...thinking about his bravery just makes me love and respect him even more. Such a beautiful soul.

I think the same way. It really hits me sometimes how young he was when he passed. AIDS is such a horrible illness, and it broke my heart to know how much he suffered and went through the the things he did. How the press hounded him. The pain he went through...and still sang his heart out. A great man. I'm proud to be his fan.

I have been thinking about his age when he died, too. I considered him as getting on a bit when he passed away. I was 18 at the time. Now that I am 44 and will be exactly his age on 16th Jan next year (I know, a strange thing to work out!), I realise that he died very young. Far too young. I miss you, we all miss you, Freddie. He was an unbelievably talented man.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:
I have been thinking about his age when he died, too. I considered him as getting on a bit when he passed away. I was 18 at the time. Now that I am 44 and will be exactly his age on 16th Jan next year (I know, a strange thing to work out!), I realise that he died very young. Far too young. I miss you, we all miss you, Freddie. He was an unbelievably talented man.

I felt exactly the same as you back in '91 (gawd, all those years ago!); I was 17 when he died - and although his death obviously broke my heart, I do remember thinking that at least he wasn't that young when he died...now, at 44, I think very differently. And I still adore the man as much as I did all those years ago - actually, scrap that, I adore him more.

And it seems we are virtually the same age, give or take a few days. Doesn't time just shoot by when you are in your 4os? Age. Ugh.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Well, it seems that filming is now coming to an end, according to Joe Mazzello; I should think we will hear some more info in the coming days and maybe a few more pics from Brian. Bohemian Rhapsody is well on its way now.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Well, it seems that filming is now coming to an end, according to Joe Mazzello; I should think we will hear some more info in the coming days and maybe a few more pics from Brian. Bohemian Rhapsody is well on its way now.

Great stuff! I am up for some more pictures and info. :)

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:19 am

Oh God the hype is real. It's only a matter of time!

For what it's worth, I'm very happy to hear Joe had a great time filming with Rami. I know it indicates nothing, but if he walked away with great memories then perhaps that will translate in the film. One can only hope this movie won't suck, and instead does the band and more importantly Freddie justice.

I can't help but feel overwhelmed with feelings I haven't felt in quite sometime. For a while I wasn't really feeling it. Yeah, I always love Queen, and they're with me everyday in one form or another (wearing Queen shirts, hats, belts, gosh you name it...or just with me in my thoughts) but sometimes you go for long stretches without really listening to them. But I'm now getting that feeling I had when I first fell in love with the band over a decade ago. It's almost like a child on Christmas morning. It's a GREAT feeling. And I look forward to sharing the story of Queen with my wife and family. I've already got plans to go out and see it with everyone.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Oh God the hype is real. It's only a matter of time!

For what it's worth, I'm very happy to hear Joe had a great time filming with Rami. I know it indicates nothing, but if he walked away with great memories then perhaps that will translate in the film. One can only hope this movie won't suck, and instead does the band and more importantly Freddie justice.

I can't help but feel overwhelmed with feelings I haven't felt in quite sometime. For a while I wasn't really feeling it. Yeah, I always love Queen, and they're with me everyday in one form or another (wearing Queen shirts, hats, belts, gosh you name it...or just with me in my thoughts) but sometimes you go for long stretches without really listening to them. But I'm now getting that feeling I had when I first fell in love with the band over a decade ago. It's almost like a child on Christmas morning. It's a GREAT feeling. And I look forward to sharing the story of Queen with my wife and family. I've already got plans to go out and see it with everyone.

I totally agree with your point concerning Joe having a great time on set, etc.: knowing that particular cast members have happy memories of their time on set means that all that Singer nonsense has not affected the filming too much.

I feel a mixture of excitement and fear about this at the moment. Half of me feels like a little kid wanting to see the film right now (like you say, a kid on Xmas morning); and the other half feels very apprehensive and concerned that they do this thing right. It has to be done perfectly. It has to look classy and not cheap, and it has to get the spirit of the band right, as well as pay tribute in a balanced way to our beautiful Freddie.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Joe Mazzello with new tweet: I just wrapped Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm sad. Every moment was a pleasure. Every day was a blessing. One of the all time great experiences of my life. Thanks to all who were a part of it.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 am

Another_Roger wrote:Joe Mazzello with new tweet: I just wrapped Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm sad. Every moment was a pleasure. Every day was a blessing. One of the all time great experiences of my life. Thanks to all who were a part of it.

I'm surprised it has finished filming already :o
After everything in the past few years, highs and lows regarding the film, it's hard for me to believe. I just hope it does Freddie justice.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 am

Another_Roger wrote:Joe Mazzello with new tweet: I just wrapped Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm sad. Every moment was a pleasure. Every day was a blessing. One of the all time great experiences of my life. Thanks to all who were a part of it.

Ah, you beat me to it, you swine! :P

So, it is all in the can now...well, Joe's part anyway; they may have more filming to do with Rami and Lucy - or it may all be done now. I am sure Brian will post something in the coming days. Christ, I am so excited about this.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Not sure if this is news for some of you, but on Imdb it states that John Ottman will be both the film's composer and editor. He's been known for doing both in other films as well. I'm very interested in hearing what he composes. Hopefully he sneaks famous (and lesser known) Queen melodies in the soundtrack.

I also noticed that Kenny Everitt will be performed by Dickie Beau (never heard of him). Should be interesting!

Also, here are a couple pics I never saw before.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:51 am

Lover Boy wrote:Not sure if this is news for some of you, but on Imdb it states that John Ottman will be both the film's composer and editor. He's been known for doing both in other films as well. I'm very interested in hearing what he composes. Hopefully he sneaks famous (and lesser known) Queen melodies in the soundtrack.

I also noticed that Kenny Everitt will be performed by Dickie Beau (never heard of him). Should be interesting!

Also, here are a couple pics I never saw before.

Yeah, the pics have been floating around for a little while now. But I did not know about the film composer attached to the film - it will be lovely to hear those Queen melodies in a film score (oh my, I hope he has worked on TSMGO; I would love to hear this track as an instrumental film piece). :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:53 pm

re: that second picture...presumably poetic/dramatic license at work; would they have had/did they really still have Greatest Hits on a massively prominent display like that in 1985??

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm

I really hope the film does the band justice and it's a massive hit both financially and artistically. I really want it to do well and also be very good at the same time.
Fingers crossed.
Films of this kind have never been my cup of tea and i am not as excited by the prospect as some quite rightly are but will still be routing for it.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On