The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:42 am

Baba wrote:I think it's a horrible idea to use somebody else's voice (presumably a
mediocre voice at that) in a movie about Freddie, the greatest singer ever.

Plus, his music and voice were such an important facet of his life, so IMO, all the more reason to use Freddie's singing voice.
Rami Malek can sing, I've watched clips...but to me just a meh singer. Way better actor honestly!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 14568
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: Persona non grata
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 499 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby BitterTears » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm

We know Freddie has the best voice and it's unlikely Rami or any other actor can come close but an actual feature film about him shouldn't (I say shouldn't, this is just IMO) be a vehicle to have their/his music played. If we want to listen to Freddie sing there are a lot of ways of doing that. I'm assuming the film won't be about the music specifically but rather the stories behind it.

I don't know if I'm explaining it was well as I want, it makes more sense in my head. I think Rami miming to the real Freddie would be sort of off putting though.
 
BitterTears
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:46 pm

BitterTears wrote:We know Freddie has the best voice and it's unlikely Rami or any other actor can come close but an actual feature film about him shouldn't (I say shouldn't, this is just IMO) be a vehicle to have their/his music played. If we want to listen to Freddie sing there are a lot of ways of doing that. I'm assuming the film won't be about the music specifically but rather the stories behind it.

I don't know if I'm explaining it was well as I want, it makes more sense in my head. I think Rami miming to the real Freddie would be sort of off putting though.

I wouldn't expect it to be close, from anyone.
I think you are explaining yourself very well, no worries. I'd just rather hear Freddie's voice for the music, not because it needs promotion or anything, but IMO, it would be silly to have a movie about Freddie's life/music, and not have Freddie's singing to go along with it.
In any case...time will tell. It's hopeful the movie will start filming this year, maybe it will finally, finally move forward.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 14568
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: Persona non grata
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 499 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:22 am

The movies status on imdb.com is still "announced". I checked what they mean by that status. This is taken from imdb:

"The production has been announced and greenlit, but top-level talent is still being recruited, or the initial script is still being written. Only extremely high profile titles, such as sequels to blockbusters, are added to the database in this stage."
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby YAFF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:44 am

Another thing I'm wondering about is based on what Cohen said about Freddie dying in the "middle of the move" and the second half would be the band carrying on. That would be the dumbest most serving bullshit move in the history of bio pics. I hope they came to their senses on that. Isn't this a movie about Freddie? I don't want to see a movie about the band Queen.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:13 am

YAFF wrote:Another thing I'm wondering about is based on what Cohen said about Freddie dying in the "middle of the move" and the second half would be the band carrying on. That would be the dumbest most serving bullshit move in the history of bio pics. I hope they came to their senses on that. Isn't this a movie about Freddie? I don't want to see a movie about the band Queen.

I'm hoping the band carrying on after the Tribute or MIH will not be a part of this biopic. I have little interest in the +'s if it will be a part of this.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 14568
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: Persona non grata
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 499 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Jimi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 am

I'd be amazed if it did.
I could see a montage of clips as the end credits role possibly but beyond that there would be little or no point to it.
I think to say he died 'half way through the film' is more a figure of speech. People often use the term 'Half' when the reality is very different.
 
Jimi
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Kes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 am

It's one of these things where we probably won't know until it's here, and then it's too late.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14278
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm

It looks like we will be getting an official statement concerning the movie any day now (according to Brian in one of the recent QAL interviews); it will probably just confirm what we have already heard - Singer as Director, Malik as Freddie, etc., but it will be good to hear all set in stone so to speak.

Also, it would be nice if the people behind the film asked the fans what they would like to see in the film: there may be ideas, angles, anecdotes that would make for brilliant viewing that maybe they would not have even thought of.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 2575
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 308 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:43 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:It looks like we will be getting an official statement concerning the movie any day now (according to Brian in one of the recent QAL interviews); it will probably just confirm what we have already heard - Singer as Director, Malik as Freddie, etc., but it will be good to hear all set in stone so to speak.

Also, it would be nice if the people behind the film asked the fans what they would like to see in the film: there may be ideas, angles, anecdotes that would make for brilliant viewing that maybe they would not have even thought of.


Do you remember which interview? I really hope for some proper info now!
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby AlexKx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:02 am

HERE and THERE it is! Bullying, bigotry, and hatred toward QUEEN from YAFF and whoever else! Your post deserves to be on a DIFFERENT website! No place for anti-QUEEN and hatred toward them the way you all do! You all should be BANNED! It is moronic to ignore QUEEN and their ongoing legacy after Freddie. How idiotic. It is to Freddie's contributions that they continue their runaway successes! Obviously you all do not know who Freddie Mercury was. Otherwise you all would not be so delusional and confused about what is going on. As I've said before there is no reason why there could not be more than one movie for Freddie Mercury and QUEEN anyway! There are multiple angles to his life that could be told in a number of ways. There's the public's views and perceptions and there is what really happened. Perhaps the film should only cover the years that the "Crown Jewels" box set covered?! You know that box set with Matt Pinfield claimed it covered the basic significant stuff so why even acknowledge "Flash" onward?! Then you would not have to deal with fucking A.I.D.S. at any point per se either, eh! Win, win! Huh?! Hell, that would even make a good movie as well to be honest! :lol: As it is there could be family versions of films and or stories told and more explicit versions of different types of films! :mrgreen: So there isn't really any reason to get our pants all in a bunch! Nothing is the gospel! And even then! As it is Brian has already acknowledged it won't be exact!
Last edited by AlexKx on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
AlexKx
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:It looks like we will be getting an official statement concerning the movie any day now (according to Brian in one of the recent QAL interviews); it will probably just confirm what we have already heard - Singer as Director, Malik as Freddie, etc., but it will be good to hear all set in stone so to speak.

Also, it would be nice if the people behind the film asked the fans what they would like to see in the film: there may be ideas, angles, anecdotes that would make for brilliant viewing that maybe they would not have even thought of.


Do you remember which interview? I really hope for some proper info now!


It was one of the recent QAL tour American tour interviews, which I believe were put up on this site (or maybe Brian's) in the last few days. The interviewer asked the boys to confirm details about the movie (she referred to it as 'Bohemian Rhapsody') and Brian answered by stating that an official announcement was imminent (any day now, I think he said).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 2575
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 308 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:42 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:It looks like we will be getting an official statement concerning the movie any day now (according to Brian in one of the recent QAL interviews); it will probably just confirm what we have already heard - Singer as Director, Malik as Freddie, etc., but it will be good to hear all set in stone so to speak.

Also, it would be nice if the people behind the film asked the fans what they would like to see in the film: there may be ideas, angles, anecdotes that would make for brilliant viewing that maybe they would not have even thought of.


Do you remember which interview? I really hope for some proper info now!


It was one of the recent QAL tour American tour interviews, which I believe were put up on this site (or maybe Brian's) in the last few days. The interviewer asked the boys to confirm details about the movie (she referred to it as 'Bohemian Rhapsody') and Brian answered by stating that an official announcement was imminent (any day now, I think he said).


Thanks. Found it. It is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kePxBtLm0A
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:45 pm

And what is Rami Malek doing in London? According to himself he is shooting a top secret movie. Of course they are not shooting the Freddie movie yet, but he did previously say that he was going to London to meet the band. Is that what is happening now? I hope its not an old video uploaded yesterday..that could be.

phpBB [video]
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Another_Roger wrote:And what is Rami Malek doing in London? According to himself he is shooting a top secret movie. Of course they are not shooting the Freddie movie yet, but he did previously say that he was going to London to meet the band. Is that what is happening now? I hope its not an old video uploaded yesterday..that could be.

phpBB [video]


Hmmm...interesting. This is definitely very recent as a quick Google search shows this particular alumni award being revealed February, 2017.

He must be meeting the band. Might be something on Brian's soapbox shortly...it would be nice to have some news - any bloody news! - Queen-related at the moment (it has been so damn quiet).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 2575
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 308 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: WiseMan and 2 guests