The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:And - again - I find myself having to defend my opinion, fella. I am not stating anything as fact, merely saying what I think.

I get that, I just find the utter certainty with which you put your opinions across a bit confusing.

This film might be great, it might be shit, but there's been nothing yet to convince me (or anyone else, unless I've missed something) of absolutely anything either way. Things like, "Rami will pull this off, trust me, bruv." are based on what, exactly? Do you know something we don't?

Plenty of good actors in promising projects have ended up delivering complete shit, and vice versa.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury
 
Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:And - again - I find myself having to defend my opinion, fella. I am not stating anything as fact, merely saying what I think.

I get that, I just find the utter certainty with which you put your opinions across a bit confusing.

This film might be great, it might be shit, but there's been nothing yet to convince me (or anyone else, unless I've missed something) of absolutely anything either way. Things like, "Rami will pull this off, trust me, bruv." are based on what, exactly? Do you know something we don't?

Plenty of good actors in promising projects have ended up delivering complete shit, and vice versa.


So when certain individuals on here state that the film is going to be shite (not verbatim, obviously) and Rami is going to be an awful Freddie, etc. then surely you have a problem with that 'utter certainty' too?; because from where I am sitting you are seemingly only concerned about what you perceive as 'utter certainty' in relation to positive opinions about the film. I have not seen you jumping on any posts from those who state negative things about this project.

So, sure, try and pull me up on my opinions because they confuse you. Fine, knock yourself out - it is merely your opinion. But at least be consistent: otherwise I cannot take you seriously.

And, to answer your question when you quoted my earlier post: I was being a bit tongue in cheek (using the word 'bruv' like some little chav should have given that away) - it was a throwaway comment and nothing more. Of course I know no more than you or anyone else.

I really hope this has ended the confusion for you.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am

Latest from Brian:

'...I have news for all those would-be spoilsports who thought they'd captured the movie and leaked it. You didn't !!! All those shoots were trial runs. Not final threads, make-up, hair etc. So be comforted, good folks - all the important secrets of the film are still secret !!!'

Just as I thought: mere dress rehearsals. The naysayers have been proven wrong yet again.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Surely the whole point of "dress" rehearsals (clue is in the name!) is to run through actual costume set ups etc? Even if it's a 'dummy' run, why the hell did the wig makers decide to actively go out of their way for something for Roger that was totally NOT how his hair was on the day??

I'm sure I also saw Brian post that it was actually first day of "shooting" in the film...if he's already concocting lies to throw people for something that doesn't need covering up then he really is insecure!

Ps - now moving into mid September I hope the schedule for their Live Aid recreation filming can be timed to get a blue skied, sunny day to accurately replicate July 85, rather than it pissing down with rain whilst filming!!
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:48 pm

cmsdrums wrote:Surely the whole point of "dress" rehearsals (clue is in the name!) is to run through actual costume set ups etc? Even if it's a 'dummy' run, why the hell did the wig makers decide to actively go out of their way for something for Roger that was totally NOT how his hair was on the day??

I'm sure I also saw Brian post that it was actually first day of "shooting" in the film...if he's already concocting lies to throw people for something that doesn't need covering up then he really is insecure!

Ps - now moving into mid September I hope the schedule for their Live Aid recreation filming can be timed to get a blue skied, sunny day to accurately replicate July 85, rather than it pissing down with rain whilst filming!!


Well, I'm no expert, but I am guessing it would have been more about standing positions, timing, camera directions, etc. As for 'Roger's' wig? Fuck knows, mate. I have no idea.

It cannot have been the first day of proper shooting, as there were no audience members in the shot. It was clearly a run through in order for them to get it spot on for when they have hundreds of extras standing in front of them. And Brian saying it was the first day of shooting: he is a guitarist, not a filmmaker - we can excuse him if he doesn't get all the jargon exactly right - maybe he meant first day of shooting dress rehearsals? I don't know. What I do know is that there were no extras there; therefore, it cannot have been the proper filming and merely a run through.

Regards filming in September in the UK - and, more importantly, knowing British weather - with the audience stood in a field: someone better tell Singer that the shot could end up looking more like something from Glastonbury than bleedin' Live Aid.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:23 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:Surely the whole point of "dress" rehearsals (clue is in the name!) is to run through actual costume set ups etc? Even if it's a 'dummy' run, why the hell did the wig makers decide to actively go out of their way for something for Roger that was totally NOT how his hair was on the day??

I'm sure I also saw Brian post that it was actually first day of "shooting" in the film...if he's already concocting lies to throw people for something that doesn't need covering up then he really is insecure!

Ps - now moving into mid September I hope the schedule for their Live Aid recreation filming can be timed to get a blue skied, sunny day to accurately replicate July 85, rather than it pissing down with rain whilst filming!!


Well, I'm no expert, but I am guessing it would have been more about standing positions, timing, camera directions, etc. As for 'Roger's' wig? Fuck knows, mate. I have no idea.

It cannot have been the first day of proper shooting, as there were no audience members in the shot. It was clearly a run through in order for them to get it spot on for when they have hundreds of extras standing in front of them. And Brian saying it was the first day of shooting: he is a guitarist, not a filmmaker - we can excuse him if he doesn't get all the jargon exactly right - maybe he meant first day of shooting dress rehearsals? I don't know. What I do know is that there were no extras there; therefore, it cannot have been the proper filming and merely a run through.

Regards filming in September in the UK - and, more importantly, knowing British weather - with the audience stood in a field: someone better tell Singer that the shot could end up looking more like something from Glastonbury than bleedin' Live Aid.


Do they need audience to record certain scenes though? When the camera is faced towards the stage you wont see the audience anyway. I guess that they can record audience later on and include that then. There is no stadium around the scene either. I do believe that they fix this post recording.
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Well, I'm no expert, but I am guessing it would have been more about standing positions, timing, camera directions, etc. As for 'Roger's' wig? Fuck knows, mate. I have no idea.

It cannot have been the first day of proper shooting, as there were no audience members in the shot. It was clearly a run through in order for them to get it spot on for when they have hundreds of extras standing in front of them. And Brian saying it was the first day of shooting: he is a guitarist, not a filmmaker - we can excuse him if he doesn't get all the jargon exactly right - maybe he meant first day of shooting dress rehearsals? I don't know. What I do know is that there were no extras there; therefore, it cannot have been the proper filming and merely a run through.

Regards filming in September in the UK - and, more importantly, knowing British weather - with the audience stood in a field: someone better tell Singer that the shot could end up looking more like something from Glastonbury than bleedin' Live Aid.


Do they need audience to record certain scenes though? When the camera is faced towards the stage you wont see the audience anyway. I guess that they can record audience later on and include that then. There is no stadium around the scene either. I do believe that they fix this post recording.


Well, I am no filmmaker so I do not know for sure; but I would guess that if they want to portray the highlight of the film in the most realistic manner possible then sweeping camera shots which encompass both audience and band would hit the spot.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/feat ... ry-biopic/

Great little article on the Empire film website: small interview with Graham King and a tiny behind-the-scenes- look at one of the early Live Aid shoots with Rami, etc.

What's interesting is that Graham King totally validates Brian May's words on Sacha Baron Cohen; he was lying after all. I knew it. There was no script about the band carrying on after Freddie and Freddie dying half way through - Brian and Roger aint that dumb. So, Cohen, good riddance you lying little snake.

Small but good little article this.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby MelodyNelson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I think we can gauge already what the film is about, more specifically.

It ends at the Live Aid show, Paul Prenter has already been cast (implying he's a major character) and it has been said that the film is about "unity."

I'm starting to believe that, although there may be some flashbacks to the 1970's, the film will begin with Queen on top of the world around the time of The Game. I really don't think they will pull any punches, either, as opposed to Sacha Baron Cohen's claims. Prenter will be similar to Eugene Landy's role in the Brian Wilson biopic Love & Mercy, as a kind of despotic figure taking Freddie on a dangerous path; becoming a major influence during the Hot Space sessions, the poorly received tour for The Works, the real nadir of Sun City (I really do think they'll surprise people and cover that), convincing Freddie to shed the band and record Mr. Bad Guy (which has already been shown prominently in a photo), before Freddie and the band finally unite tenuously for Live Aid, which of course is a massive success for the band and gives us our triumphant climax.

That's my assumption at this stage. I think there will be one or two implied mentions of Freddie feeling "under the weather," and I could see a theme of news pieces about the AIDS crisis on televisions throughout, without directly linking it.

If the film is a major success (they seem to be aiming for both commercial and critical approval), I wouldn't be surprised if they do another one.
 
MelodyNelson
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:59 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:37 pm

MelodyNelson wrote:I think we can gauge already what the film is about, more specifically.

It ends at the Live Aid show, Paul Prenter has already been cast (implying he's a major character) and it has been said that the film is about "unity."

I'm starting to believe that, although there may be some flashbacks to the 1970's, the film will begin with Queen on top of the world around the time of The Game. I really don't think they will pull any punches, either, as opposed to Sacha Baron Cohen's claims. Prenter will be similar to Eugene Landy's role in the Brian Wilson biopic Love & Mercy, as a kind of despotic figure taking Freddie on a dangerous path; becoming a major influence during the Hot Space sessions, the poorly received tour for The Works, the real nadir of Sun City (I really do think they'll surprise people and cover that), convincing Freddie to shed the band and record Mr. Bad Guy (which has already been shown prominently in a photo), before Freddie and the band finally unite tenuously for Live Aid, which of course is a massive success for the band and gives us our triumphant climax.

That's my assumption at this stage. I think there will be one or two implied mentions of Freddie feeling "under the weather," and I could see a theme of news pieces about the AIDS crisis on televisions throughout, without directly linking it.

If the film is a major success (they seem to be aiming for both commercial and critical approval), I wouldn't be surprised if they do another one.


I agree with the bulk of what you have written.

I think we will begin and end at Live Aid. I definitely think they will cover the near break up of the band and Freddie going solo before getting back together to perform at Live Aid. I believe the AIDS diagnosis will be lightly touched on - subtle but stated nonetheless (I am sure at some stage we will witness Freddie watching news reports about the AIDS crisis and turning the TV off or something similar); I don't think - from what I have read - they will shy away from the truth, but rather cover more delicate/adult themes in a way not to alienate the wider film audience.

And I think Prenter is going to be the baddie who leads Freddie astray and away from the band themselves. I guarantee there will be at least one scene in a gay bar in which Prenter is shown goading Freddie to take drugs and to indulge in the seedier side of life (without things actually being shown of course).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:37 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/bohemian-rhapsody-set-bryan-singer-freddie-mercury-biopic/

Great little article on the Empire film website: small interview with Graham King and a tiny behind-the-scenes- look at one of the early Live Aid shoots with Rami, etc.

What's interesting is that Graham King totally validates Brian May's words on Sacha Baron Cohen; he was lying after all. I knew it. There was no script about the band carrying on after Freddie and Freddie dying half way through - Brian and Roger aint that dumb. So, Cohen, good riddance you lying little snake.

Small but good little article this.


Great find! Its also great to hear that Brian told us the truth all along. I never trusted this Cohen guy. He seems to be an arrogant person.
 
Another_Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby QueenUSA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:56 pm

MelodyNelson wrote:
the poorly received tour for The Works


Could you elaborate on this, MelodyNelson?
 
QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby YAFF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Does anyone else feel ending the movie at the end of the Magic Tour (at least)would have made more sense? Their last triumphant tour and Freddie getting the bad news or knowing about it and still delivering the goods as only he could?
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby QueenUSA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Yaff...I'm still having a hard time grasping just what this film is wanting to be, tbh. I'm sure I'll "get it" once I see it.
 
QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:So when certain individuals on here state that the film is going to be shite (not verbatim, obviously) and Rami is going to be an awful Freddie, etc. then surely you have a problem with that 'utter certainty' too?; because from where I am sitting you are seemingly only concerned about what you perceive as 'utter certainty' in relation to positive opinions about the film. I have not seen you jumping on any posts from those who state negative things about this project.

I was defending Sacha Baron Cohen against people vitriolically slagging him off before they'd even seen a single photo of him in the part until I was blue in the face.

Acting like he'll definitely be shit is just as silly as acting like he'll definitely be incredible.

I'm not singling anyone out. I just find it really confusing when people try to act like they know something is going to turn out a certain way when there's clearly no way they could know at all.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury
 
Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 100 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests