The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
J Starbuck88 wrote:I just read online that the UK will not be getting the film released until December 28th, while the USA will get the release on December 25th. Not sure if I'm the only one but shouldn't that be the other way around?


I don't understand this either. It really should be released here first.

I agree. That's just so strange. Maybe the powers that be want a Hollywood press buzz first?
What day is usually set aside for new movies hitting the big screen in the UK? I can't believe I don't know :oops:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:24 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:Brian May posts this on instagram: brianmayforrealBOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - The Movie !!! Great day on set. It looks SO beautiful. Rami and Lucy as Freddie and Mary are gonna break hearts. Bri

Is that a good thing or not when Brian says it's gonna break hearts?


Definitely meant in a good way. I should think they are focusing a lot on the love between Freddie and Mary - considering they stayed as close as they did throughout the years. I think - if done well - this aspect of the film could really give the audience that emotional connection that draws them in.

I am so pleased this film is back on track.

Brian has certainly piqued my interest about the film somewhat again by his comments yesterday.
To me the comments from yesterday grabbed my attention. It's known Mary was in the room before Freddie passed away, and I think she left for a moment and he passed away at that time. Oh so sad to even type that out, not sure if that will be part of the film or not, but no doubt Freddie and Mary loved each other so much.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby parchedpeas » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:Brian May posts this on instagram: brianmayforrealBOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - The Movie !!! Great day on set. It looks SO beautiful. Rami and Lucy as Freddie and Mary are gonna break hearts. Bri

Is that a good thing or not when Brian says it's gonna break hearts?


I should think they are focusing a lot on the love between Freddie and Mary


I'm sure it will be giving Freddie and Jim equal weight. I'm sure they'll ignore the potential reception in less enlightened countries and paint the relationship accurately. I'm sure they won't gloss over it and dial in on the more "acceptable" side of Freddie's life through his relationship with Mary.

I'm sure of these things because Queen never chase the money and always put the art first.

I wonder if they'll be timing a Greatest Hits 4 release to coincide with this movie?
 
parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Kes wrote:I bet that will absolutely pack cinemas out on Christmas Day!

Maybe it will make people wonder where the biggest turkey is that day.


Why would you think it is going to be so bad?
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4263
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm

parchedpeas wrote:
I'm sure it will be giving Freddie and Jim equal weight. I'm sure they'll ignore the potential reception in less enlightened countries and paint the relationship accurately. I'm sure they won't gloss over it and dial in on the more "acceptable" side of Freddie's life through his relationship with Mary.

I'm sure of these things because Queen never chase the money and always put the art first.

I wonder if they'll be timing a Greatest Hits 4 release to coincide with this movie?


I actually believe this to be a labour of love for Brian; and I genuinely believe that he wants to do Freddie justice with this film. And if this was about money they would have given up on the bloody thing by now.

I still have great faith in this movie.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4263
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Pingu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:36 pm

I wonder if they'll be going back to the mid 70s to show Freddie and Mary as a couple. That could lead to some 'heartbreaking' scenes I imagine. I do hope they do recreate some of the 70s concerts etc with the band too, as the visuals for the 80s stuff have all looked astonishingly accurate so far.
 
Pingu
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 559
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Pingu wrote:I wonder if they'll be going back to the mid 70s to show Freddie and Mary as a couple. That could lead to some 'heartbreaking' scenes I imagine. I do hope they do recreate some of the 70s concerts etc with the band too, as the visuals for the 80s stuff have all looked astonishingly accurate so far.


Well, they have stated that the timeframe is about 15 years and leading up to the Live Aid gig so they will definitely show Freddie and Mary in the 70s; my guess is that we will see Freddie coming out as a gay man to Mary and the heartbreak both of them felt at the time.

Of course, Bohemian Rhapsody is an obvious title (being their most famous hit), but I wonder if they also chose this song because of its meaning? Many of us over the years have discussed the fact that it is Freddie's coming out record - just substitute 'Mary' for 'Mama' and the man he killed may well have been his old self, etc.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4263
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Pingu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Speculation time but it'd be surprising if they don't recreate the Bo Rhap video shoot in some form. If you look at any of the biopics that get made nowadays, for better or worse, they always recreate the 'iconic' moments. With Queen, I can think of just a few, Bo Rhap video, Live Aid, the Radio Gaga handclaps/video, maybe the Break Free vid.

And of course it's a neat bookend in a way, to have Bo Rhap as their breakthrough hit and as the moment they sealed their legendary status at Live Aid.

Is it December yet..?
 
Pingu
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 559
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Pingu wrote:Speculation time but it'd be surprising if they don't recreate the Bo Rhap video shoot in some form. If you look at any of the biopics that get made nowadays, for better or worse, they always recreate the 'iconic' moments. With Queen, I can think of just a few, Bo Rhap video, Live Aid, the Radio Gaga handclaps/video, maybe the Break Free vid.

And of course it's a neat bookend in a way, to have Bo Rhap as their breakthrough hit and as the moment they sealed their legendary status at Live Aid.

Is it December yet..?


You could well be right. I think we will definitely witness them in the studio recording Bo Rhap.

I have to confess, I am mightily excited about this project. I just want it to be done properly; and let's face it, we are never going to see another Queen/Freddie movie with band backing like this - this is the one. I really shouldn't wish a year of my life away...but please come quick December.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4263
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Pingu wrote:Speculation time but it'd be surprising if they don't recreate the Bo Rhap video shoot in some form. If you look at any of the biopics that get made nowadays, for better or worse, they always recreate the 'iconic' moments. With Queen, I can think of just a few, Bo Rhap video, Live Aid, the Radio Gaga handclaps/video, maybe the Break Free vid.

And of course it's a neat bookend in a way, to have Bo Rhap as their breakthrough hit and as the moment they sealed their legendary status at Live Aid.

Is it December yet..?

I still find it strange that the biopic will end at Live Aid. There is so much of Queen's history, and maybe very unlikely to fit it all in, but it just seems so sudden to end it that way, IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

icy wrote:I still find it strange that the biopic will end at Live Aid. There is so much of Queen's history, and maybe very unlikely to fit it all in, but it just seems so sudden to end it that way, IMO.


I think Live Aid is the perfect ending: Freddie at his absolute peak, looking fit and healthy and absolutely owning the stage. I want a positive, upbeat ending. Of course, they can still touch on other parts of the Queen story after '85 - even Freddie's illness - by being a bit creative. Also, after Live Aid what really happened in the Queen story? Take away the last tour and Freddie's illness and nothing major happened.

It seems, too, that they are making sure they follow Freddie's wishes: he did not want sympathy or to be seen as a tragic figure; ending on Live Aid means that image of him doing what he did best is immortalised on film (alongside the actual footage itself) - and, boy, what an image to remember him by.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4263
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:I still find it strange that the biopic will end at Live Aid. There is so much of Queen's history, and maybe very unlikely to fit it all in, but it just seems so sudden to end it that way, IMO.


I think Live Aid is the perfect ending: Freddie at his absolute peak, looking fit and healthy and absolutely owning the stage. I want a positive, upbeat ending. Of course, they can still touch on other parts of the Queen story after '85 - even Freddie's illness - by being a bit creative. Also, after Live Aid what really happened in the Queen story? Take away the last tour and Freddie's illness and nothing major happened.

It seems, too, that they are making sure they follow Freddie's wishes: he did not want sympathy or to be seen as a tragic figure; ending on Live Aid means that image of him doing what he did best is immortalised on film (alongside the actual footage itself) - and, boy, what an image to remember him by.

I think I know too much about how it ended. Maybe that's coloring my view about it.
Freddie's determination and guts still blows me away. Such an inspiration for so many reasons.
Thank you, Freddie. I hope the movie does him proud.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 pm

icy wrote:I think I know too much about how it ended. Maybe that's coloring my view about it.
Freddie's determination and guts still blows me away. Such an inspiration for so many reasons.
Thank you, Freddie. I hope the movie does him proud.


Same (I blame Mercury And Me - Jim's description of Freddie's pain in that book broke my heart).

I reached 44 years old this year (never expected to make it to 40 to be honest) and it really hit me how Freddie was only a year older than myself when he passed; and that by the time he was my age he had been battling that relentless, merciless illness for years and had been in so much pain most of that time...thinking about his bravery just makes me love and respect him even more. Such a beautiful soul.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4263
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:I think I know too much about how it ended. Maybe that's coloring my view about it.
Freddie's determination and guts still blows me away. Such an inspiration for so many reasons.
Thank you, Freddie. I hope the movie does him proud.


Same (I blame Mercury And Me - Jim's description of Freddie's pain in that book broke my heart).

I reached 44 years old this year (never expected to make it to 40 to be honest) and it really hit me how Freddie was only a year older than myself when he passed; and that by the time he was my age he had been battling that relentless, merciless illness for years and had been in so much pain most of that time...thinking about his bravery just makes me love and respect him even more. Such a beautiful soul.

I think the same way. It really hits me sometimes how young he was when he passed. AIDS is such a horrible illness, and it broke my heart to know how much he suffered and went through the the things he did. How the press hounded him. The pain he went through...and still sang his heart out. A great man. I'm proud to be his fan.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby spuzzum42 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 pm

icy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
J Starbuck88 wrote:I just read online that the UK will not be getting the film released until December 28th, while the USA will get the release on December 25th. Not sure if I'm the only one but shouldn't that be the other way around?


I don't understand this either. It really should be released here first.

I agree. That's just so strange. Maybe the powers that be want a Hollywood press buzz first?
What day is usually set aside for new movies hitting the big screen in the UK? I can't believe I don't know :oops:


December 25 is usually a big movie release day in North America. Lots of people just want to skip the whole Christmas thing and go to the movies.
Also, to be eligible for the Academy Awards, a film has to play for one week of a calendar year in an Los Angels-area theatre. Many films hoping for some Oscar buzz have a Christmas Day release. Some will even open in LA on Dec 25, but not open anywhere else until well in January, hoping that any Oscar buzz generated by the LA opening will increase ticket sales when they open wider a few weeks later.
 
spuzzum42
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests