The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Replacement director Dexter Fletcher has salvaged the troubled Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody after Bryan Singer’s dismissal, according to its co-writer Anthony Mccarten.
The film spent years in development before filming finally got underway in September, with The Usual Suspects filmmakerat the helm and Rami Malek playing the Queen frontman.
In December, Singer was fired as the film’s director and days later it emerged that a man had filed a lawsuit in Washington state against him, alleging he sexually assaulted him in 2003 when he was 17 years old. The director denies the allegation.

Fletcher took over the reins and wrapped filming at the end of last month, and McCarten, who penned the Oscar nominated film Darkest Hour, says the Eddie the Eagle director did a brilliant job in a difficult situation.
“Dexter brought his professionalism and he’s a very gifted director and it’s a very hard situation to walk into for anyone when someone’s half-prepared the meal and you’ve got to finish it off,” the screenwriter tells WENN.
McCarten, who penned the Oscar nominated drama Darkest Hour, thinks Fletcher and Malek have done such a good job that the biopic could be an awards contender.

“It’s wrapped, it’s in the can and you heard it here first, it’s going to be extraordinary,” he says. “The movie, the music, the central performance by Rami Malek. He’d better have a tuxedo, because the stuff I’ve seen is stand out.”
The movie’s turbulent production history has earned it a reputation as one of Hollywood’s most troubled projects. Before the Mr. Robot actor was cast as the Radio Ga Ga singer, Sacha Baron Cohen was signed up to star, but quit the role in 2013.

Fletcher then signed up to direct the movie, and British actor Ben Whishaw was rumored to be playing Mercury before the film was again put on ice. McCarten, who co-wrote the script with Revolutionary Road scribe Justin Haythe, is now confident the Fletcher has put the production back on track and that Malek has nailed the role, adding, “Rami’s a brilliant Freddie, and he will rock you.”

https://blog.wenn.com/all-news/freddie-mercury-biopic-back-on-track-after-bryan-singer-firing/

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm

What a strange feeling it is to know at least the film is finished, because many times I didn't think it would be completed.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:27 pm

icy wrote:What a strange feeling it is to know at least the film is finished, because many times I didn't think it would be completed.

I don't know this McCarten dude. But what he says here is quite promising in my ears:

“it’s in the can and you heard it here first, it’s going to be extraordinary,” he says. “The movie, the music, the central performance by Rami Malek. He’d better have a tuxedo, because the stuff I’ve seen is stand out. Rami’s a brilliant Freddie, and he will rock you."

Anyone know this guy?

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Pingu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Wow. Nice to see some genuinely positive words as I'm sure a lot of people thought this was leaning towards a car crash, after all the false starts and upheavals. Ok they're from the co writer but it's not "hype the movie" time yet, so I trust he's speaking from the heart.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
icy wrote:What a strange feeling it is to know at least the film is finished, because many times I didn't think it would be completed.

I don't know this McCarten dude. But what he says here is quite promising in my ears:

“it’s in the can and you heard it here first, it’s going to be extraordinary,” he says. “The movie, the music, the central performance by Rami Malek. He’d better have a tuxedo, because the stuff I’ve seen is stand out. Rami’s a brilliant Freddie, and he will rock you."

Anyone know this guy?

I've not heard of him before. :oops:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Pingu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm

imdb is your friend :)

Screenwriter for Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking biopic) and Darkest Hour (Churchill movie with Gary Oldman out very recently).

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Pingu wrote:imdb is your friend :)

Screenwriter for Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking biopic) and Darkest Hour (Churchill movie with Gary Oldman out very recently).

Thanks! I was also uplifted by these comments. :)

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Baba » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Baba
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hutchence » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am

Hutchence
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for sharing those pics, both of you!

I really, really like what I'm seeing. I wasn't sure how Rami would look as Freddie from the 70s, but I'm now reassured. :)

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby slightlymad1970 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 am

Some really interesting photos emerging from the film, looks promising. My question is, I thought Queenonline, the official website of the band was the go to place for updates and exclusives on the film. Once again the bands official website is behind on new information from the film, let's hope when the official trailer eventually surfaces we get to see it first.

Hopefully some kind of press release / statement might happen to coincide with these photos leaking :-D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am

Another_Roger wrote:Replacement director Dexter Fletcher has salvaged the troubled Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody after Bryan Singer’s dismissal, according to its co-writer Anthony Mccarten.
The film spent years in development before filming finally got underway in September, with The Usual Suspects filmmakerat the helm and Rami Malek playing the Queen frontman.
In December, Singer was fired as the film’s director and days later it emerged that a man had filed a lawsuit in Washington state against him, alleging he sexually assaulted him in 2003 when he was 17 years old. The director denies the allegation.

Fletcher took over the reins and wrapped filming at the end of last month, and McCarten, who penned the Oscar nominated film Darkest Hour, says the Eddie the Eagle director did a brilliant job in a difficult situation.
“Dexter brought his professionalism and he’s a very gifted director and it’s a very hard situation to walk into for anyone when someone’s half-prepared the meal and you’ve got to finish it off,” the screenwriter tells WENN.
McCarten, who penned the Oscar nominated drama Darkest Hour, thinks Fletcher and Malek have done such a good job that the biopic could be an awards contender.

“It’s wrapped, it’s in the can and you heard it here first, it’s going to be extraordinary,” he says. “The movie, the music, the central performance by Rami Malek. He’d better have a tuxedo, because the stuff I’ve seen is stand out.”
The movie’s turbulent production history has earned it a reputation as one of Hollywood’s most troubled projects. Before the Mr. Robot actor was cast as the Radio Ga Ga singer, Sacha Baron Cohen was signed up to star, but quit the role in 2013.

Fletcher then signed up to direct the movie, and British actor Ben Whishaw was rumored to be playing Mercury before the film was again put on ice. McCarten, who co-wrote the script with Revolutionary Road scribe Justin Haythe, is now confident the Fletcher has put the production back on track and that Malek has nailed the role, adding, “Rami’s a brilliant Freddie, and he will rock you.”

https://blog.wenn.com/all-news/freddie-mercury-biopic-back-on-track-after-bryan-singer-firing/

How wonderfully reassuring this is. Good find.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 am

Baba wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BfUCjk0AqlC/

Great pics!

Great stuff! I hope we are going to see more of this sort of stuff in the next few months.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 am

Hutchence wrote:Here are some more...

http://www.aqueenofmagic.com/2018/02/17 ... psody.html

Fantastic photos. They all look perfect to me. Obviously we cannot see Rami as Freddie properly in the 70s photo, but I am sure he looks fine (I was rather concerned about how the 70s Freddie would look).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Queen16 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Some awesome shots in there

I was also unsure about whether 70s Freddie (or any non moustache Freddie) would look too much like Rami and break the illusion but these look promising (well the news of the world tour looking image anyway as we can't really see his face in the black fingernails one)

Superman Returns is a beautiful looking film and has an amazing score so this is all sounding very good

Queen16
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On