The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby DANAIR737 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Wow, those photos are really good. Rami looks a lot like our Freddie in them, Ben Hardy as Roger looks good, too. Please be a great film, please be a great film.. Fingers crossed!

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 pm

According to IMDb, Aidan Gillen, who plays John Reid, had his own stuntman. I wonder if we're going to see Freddie break a window? Lol I seem to recall John Reid telling us in the Days of Our Lives documentary that Freddie went to his home one day and threw a rock or something at his window because he was pissed off.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:17 am

Lover Boy wrote:According to IMDb, Aidan Gillen, who plays John Reid, had his own stuntman. I wonder if we're going to see Freddie break a window? Lol I seem to recall John Reid telling us in the Days of Our Lives documentary that Freddie went to his home one day and threw a rock or something at his window because he was pissed off.

I noticed that point too and was wondering why Gillen would have a stuntman in the first place (I mean, it's not an action movie!); but you may be correct about the brick through a window incident.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Whilst i am really hoping that this is a massive success both critically and financially, if this fails to live up to the anticipated standards do we feel this will harm the Queen legacy and general feelgood factor surrounding the band at the moment ?
I think as someone else mentioned there are very few great movies involving this type of topic.

Must admit that whilst i am routing for it, this type of thing is not really to my taste but i would like it to be done properly and hold the band in the light it deserves. If any band deserve to have a great movie against their name it is Queen without doubt.
Fingers crossed...

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby SelfMadeMan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 am

I'm not expecting much from this one. Will be the usual sanitised Queen view of things.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:51 am

My main concern is that the band uses Paul Prentor as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong. The guy was utter trash and a bad influence on Freddie, but he alone didn't ruin Queen's popularity in the states. I think Brian said he'd tell the press to fuck off without consulting Freddie or the rest of the band. That's probably true, but the band made some questionable decisions, such as refusing to support The Works with a tour. But alas, will this kind of stuff interest Joe public?

All we know for sure is that the movie leads up to Live Aid. It will more than likely show them arguing during the Hot Space and The Works era ("four cocks fighting") There's got to be drama to make a good biopic, which is why I'm still surprised they're not focusing on Freddie's tragic death...but I suppose that would be too depressing of a story. It has to be mentioned somehow though.

On a less serious note, I'm so freaking pumped for this movie. I'm afraid to feel this way because I'd hate to build it up to something so magical and then become disappointed. But just to see our boys on the big screen like this...I'm so excited and I drool at the sight of leaked pics and info about it.

Sorry for rambling. :oops:

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 am

Lover Boy wrote:My main concern is that the band uses Paul Prentor as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong. The guy was utter trash and a bad influence on Freddie, but he alone didn't ruin Queen's popularity in the states. I think Brian said he'd tell the press to fuck off without consulting Freddie or the rest of the band. That's probably true, but the band made some questionable decisions, such as refusing to support The Works with a tour. But alas, will this kind of stuff interest Joe public?

All we know for sure is that the movie leads up to Live Aid. It will more than likely show them arguing during the Hot Space and The Works era ("four cocks fighting") There's got to be drama to make a good biopic, which is why I'm still surprised they're not focusing on Freddie's tragic death...but I suppose that would be too depressing of a story. It has to be mentioned somehow though.

On a less serious note, I'm so freaking pumped for this movie. I'm afraid to feel this way because I'd hate to build it up to something so magical and then become disappointed. But just to see our boys on the big screen like this...I'm so excited and I drool at the sight of leaked pics and info about it.

No need to be sorry. Too few are posting on the forum these days! The potential of a movie like this is huge. A good movie may trigger a Queen interest that nothing else can do. I remember the Abba mania we had in Norway when the movie was released. If something similar happens with Queen it is a very good thing. And the Abba movie wasnt even good I thought.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby slightlymad1970 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

Lover Boy wrote:My main concern is that the band uses Paul Prentor as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong. The guy was utter trash and a bad influence on Freddie, but he alone didn't ruin Queen's popularity in the states. I think Brian said he'd tell the press to fuck off without consulting Freddie or the rest of the band. That's probably true, but the band made some questionable decisions, such as refusing to support The Works with a tour. But alas, will this kind of stuff interest Joe public?

Great post, I honestly believe if Rami makes a convincing Freddie and the film is a reasonable success both critically and commercially then we will see a follow up, Bohemian Rhapsody 2 - Made In heaven or something similar. Freddie's life after Live Aid and ultimately his tragic death would make a heartbreaking but compelling film, highlighting how he coped so bravely with an awful disease and how those people close to him dealt with it, the Elton story about him receiving a painting the Christmas after Freddie died would not leave a dry eye in the house.

As for box office success I don't see the film being huge, it's a niche audience it will appeal to, Mama Mia was a chick flick that was purely a popcorn movie that was a massive money spinner, Bohemian Rhapsody will not emulate this. Queen still have the ace up the sleeve though as I believe if produced right the WWRY Musical could be a massive success at the cinema, especially if done by say Disney or Pixar and that could be a commercial success similar to Mama Mia.

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 am

SelfMadeMan wrote:I'm not expecting much from this one. Will be the usual sanitised Queen view of things.

None of us can truly state that, as none of us have seen the finished article. Cohen started this idea that Queen wanted a sanitised version; and we all know what a little bullshitter that moron is.

I have had some doubts here and there that the film may be too family-friendly, but I shall keep an open mind until December this year.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:45 am

Thing is, every film needs a bad guy - and Prenter certainly fits that bill. But, I know what you mean regards Queen losing America: I would say that was a number of reasons - and although Prenter certainly did his bit, he can not be all to blame.

Personally, I think we can get a little idea of some of the key scenes in the film from seeing those recent photos and knowing what key characters are going to feature in the film: I think we will see Queen forming; see the early struggles; watch them record Bohemian Rhapsody; see them trying to get out of the Trident contract; see them tour the world (probably a film montage of them on various stages across the globe); watch as Freddie splits from Mary; see Freddie going off the rails a little in Germany; watch Freddie's disappoinment as MBG flops big time; see Queen coming back together as a proper band again to play Live Aid. Of course, there will be many other key scenes, but I reckon those are some of them. I would love to see the band meet The Sex Pistols too - that story has gone down in music history and should be immortalised on film for definite. I also think Freddie's illness will be touched apon in a discreet and respectable way. I also think this film will be more of a love story between Freddie and Mary.

I really am excited about this - and probably the most excited about a Queen project since the release of Made In Heaven. I just want it to be classy, honest (well, as honest as possible for a film like this - poetic licence and all that) and beautifully shot. Here's hoping.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:As for box office success I don't see the film being huge, it's a niche audience it will appeal to, Mama Mia was a chick flick that was purely a popcorn movie that was a massive money spinner, Bohemian Rhapsody will not emulate this. Queen still have the ace up the sleeve though as I believe if produced right the WWRY Musical could be a massive success at the cinema, especially if done by say Disney or Pixar and that could be a commercial success similar to Mama Mia.

I totally and respectfully disagree about this being a film for a 'niche' audience; I think - as long as it is made well, obviously - this movie will be very big. It has to be one of the most highly anticipated films in the last decade and the relevant publicity surrounding it already (Cohen, Singer, different scriptwriters, etc.) means that it has hardly been out of the film news for quite a while now. Also, I have read many comments on various film websites where individuals of all ages are saying how much they want to see this film. I think the potential is absolutely huge.

Oh, and I hope they never do go down the WWRY film route. It would only be watchable if they burnt that inane and childish script and got someone in to do it properly.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:Great post, I honestly believe if Rami makes a convincing Freddie and the film is a reasonable success both critically and commercially then we will see a follow up, Bohemian Rhapsody 2 - Made In heaven or something similar. Freddie's life after Live Aid and ultimately his tragic death would make a heartbreaking but compelling film...

I'd be surprised if this weren't covered in the film - I can't see the sense in writing a film of this kind planning for a sequel - this isn't a Marvel super hero film where we're all waiting to find out what happens to our protagonist.

I think a lot of people have misunderstood a quote that came out quite early (granted, about 4 directors and half a dozen Freddies ago, so things could have changed several times) where it was mentioned that the film would be bookended with Live Aid. It seems a lot of people have taken this to mean that's where the story ends, but I read it differently. To bookend is to put something at either end, i.e. the film would begin and end on this scene (arguably the highlight of their career, a perfect choice), but within the film we move back and forwards in time, thus covering from the formation of the band through to the end of the story - either Freddie's death or the recruitment of Lord Adam ;) Either way, they wouldn't want to end on a downer, so moving back to Live Aid would make sense in order for people to leave the cinema on a high.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Lemmy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 am

Don't know if anybody here has seen the bio movie on Miles Davis (Miles Ahead), and as opinions are shared, I would prefer a Q biopic like this than The Doors movie (1991?) - which did bring a new generation of fans to the band, but was only seen once... (because it was that bad).

The Miles Ahead movie has some fiction in it (the journalist, for example), but it does give a good idea of who and what Miles Davis was about.

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 am

Another_Roger wrote:

No need to be sorry. Too few are posting on the forum these days! The potential of a movie like this is huge. A good movie may trigger a Queen interest that nothing else can do. I remember the Abba mania we had in Norway when the movie was released. If something similar happens with Queen it is a very good thing. And the Abba movie wasnt even good I thought.

Another_Roger, I’m wondering if you live in or near Oslo and have seen that Brian, Roger and Adam (QAL) and drummer Tyler Warren are coming to Norway on June 17.

I’ve asked you before about traveling to see QE and you said you are not keen about flying. I can’t remember if QE or QAL have toured in Norway in recent years.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby AlexKx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:34 am

You know I was thinking...perhaps the movie should stop at "Keep Yourself Alive"? At least this one. Then seventeen others could be made! :D It has just occurred to me that there is so much story to tell in the years leading up to the first studio l.p. "Queen" in 1973...BUT that just my opinion.

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On