The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Spook2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am

CNB wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:
Lover Boy wrote:My main concern is that the band uses Paul Prentor as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong. The guy was utter trash and a bad influence on Freddie, but he alone didn't ruin Queen's popularity in the states. I think Brian said he'd tell the press to fuck off without consulting Freddie or the rest of the band. That's probably true, but the band made some questionable decisions, such as refusing to support The Works with a tour. But alas, will this kind of stuff interest Joe public?

All we know for sure is that the movie leads up to Live Aid. It will more than likely show them arguing during the Hot Space and The Works era ("four cocks fighting") There's got to be drama to make a good biopic, which is why I'm still surprised they're not focusing on Freddie's tragic death...but I suppose that would be too depressing of a story. It has to be mentioned somehow though.

On a less serious note, I'm so freaking pumped for this movie. I'm afraid to feel this way because I'd hate to build it up to something so magical and then become disappointed. But just to see our boys on the big screen like this...I'm so excited and I drool at the sight of leaked pics and info about it.

Sorry for rambling. :oops:

No need to be sorry. Too few are posting on the forum these days! The potential of a movie like this is huge. A good movie may trigger a Queen interest that nothing else can do. I remember the Abba mania we had in Norway when the movie was released. If something similar happens with Queen it is a very good thing. And the Abba movie wasnt even good I thought.

Another_Roger, I’m wondering if you live in or near Oslo and have seen that Brian, Roger and Adam (QAL) and drummer Tyler Warren are coming to Norway on June 17.

I’ve asked you before about traveling to see QE and you said you are not keen about flying. I can’t remember if QE or QAL have toured in Norway in recent years.

CNB
I have seen QAL
I have enjoyed QAL
this thread is about FREDDIE MERCURY film

now stop jumping in and going on about them at every opportunity
You really are a boring fart

peace - love - and prosperity to all

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby J Starbuck88 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Hoping a trailer drops soon, I thought after those photos were released there wasn't one wasn't too far away.
My make up maybe flaking but my smile still stays on

J Starbuck88
Spread Your Wings

Is this A Kind of Magic? or does The Show Go On

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Trailers are usually released 4-6 months before the movie release date. So we'll probably have to wait until July. That's my guess, anyway.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Trailers are usually released 4-6 months before the movie release date. So we'll probably have to wait until July. That's my guess, anyway.

The trailer should be ready for the Grammy's concert for sure! I hope they will keep 'leaking' other things meantime to keep us excited. :)

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby The Milkman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:50 am

Lemmy wrote:Don't know if anybody here has seen the bio movie on Miles Davis (Miles Ahead), and as opinions are shared, I would prefer a Q biopic like this than The Doors movie (1991?) - which did bring a new generation of fans to the band, but was only seen once... (because it was that bad).

The Miles Ahead movie has some fiction in it (the journalist, for example), but it does give a good idea of who and what Miles Davis was about.

I enjoyed it but I think most of it was fiction. To my knowledge there was never a stolen tape so the main part of the movie is fiction. Most of his fans knew he was a recluse and a junkie during that period so there was nothing new there.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Queen16 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 am

A pretty in-depth video taking a look at the film and what parts of Queen history might be covered

phpBB [video]

Queen16
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks for sharing that. I agree with just about everything he said about the film. I don't think they're going to leave out Freddie's illness and death. Instead, they're simply book ending the film with Live Aid. Makes sense to me. Though I have to ask how they'd make Rami look so ill. He'd either have had to lose weight (unlikely since the filming was a relatively short period of time) or use special effects. Or just really damn good make up?

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm

So it seems that Adam Rauf will be playing Freddie as a child in the film; knowing this, it appears that this movie will be covering quite a lot of ground time-wise.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby icy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:16 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:So it seems that Adam Rauf will be playing Freddie as a child in the film; knowing this, it appears that this movie will be covering quite a lot of ground time-wise.

Not sure how I feel about that because Freddie didn't talk about his childhood years very often. I think he wanted that kept private.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:30 am

It doesn't bother me, honestly. Enough has already been said in documentaries, especially as told by both his mum and sister. I was genuinely hoping they'd cover bits of his childhood. Seeing him and his family flee the country during the revolution will be very interesting to see. I just hope they don't spend 45 minutes on his childhood. I hate it when films have slow first acts.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 am

Lover Boy wrote:It doesn't bother me, honestly. Enough has already been said in documentaries, especially as told by both his mum and sister. I was genuinely hoping they'd cover bits of his childhood. Seeing him and his family flee the country during the revolution will be very interesting to see. I just hope they don't spend 45 minutes on his childhood. I hate it when films have slow first acts.

Told by his mother and sister... perfectly understandable that is. Not like they sold out by doing it. I don't have a problem with what they did, clearly they were proud of him.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30 pm

icy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:So it seems that Adam Rauf will be playing Freddie as a child in the film; knowing this, it appears that this movie will be covering quite a lot of ground time-wise.

Not sure how I feel about that because Freddie didn't talk about his childhood years very often. I think he wanted that kept private.

I do not think Freddie would be bothered about his childhood being included in a film about his life; sure, in his lifetime he was a very private person and rarely - if ever - discussed his childhood...but that does not necessarily mean he wanted this part of his life to stay hidden for any reason. Also, I am sure the film will only touch on his childhood - maybe in flashbacks here and there.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Lover Boy wrote:It doesn't bother me, honestly. Enough has already been said in documentaries, especially as told by both his mum and sister. I was genuinely hoping they'd cover bits of his childhood. Seeing him and his family flee the country during the revolution will be very interesting to see. I just hope they don't spend 45 minutes on his childhood. I hate it when films have slow first acts.

Exactly. His whole life story is a very interesting one - and the upheavals in his childhood should be included in a film about the man's life. And, as you rightly state, his childhood has already been exposed with his family's blessing in both The Untold Story documentary and the Freddie Photographic Exhibition, as well as numerous written articles over the years.

I want this film to include all the relevant, important parts of his life, from childhood onwards. And it is a wonderful story: this gay, toothy, shy immigrant landing on British shores after his family fled their own land; and then how this total outsider turned himself into the ultimate rock star...and that is just the start of the story! :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:26 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:

I do not think Freddie would be bothered about his childhood being included in a film about his life; sure, in his lifetime he was a very private person and rarely - if ever - discussed his childhood...but that does not necessarily mean he wanted this part of his life to stay hidden for any reason. Also, I am sure the film will only touch on his childhood - maybe in flashbacks here and there.

Here is how I feel. Freddie rarely talked about his childhood for whatever reasons. I don't know why he didn't want to discuss it. We both know off stage he was a very private person.
I've been thinking about this biopic a great deal more than I should. I don't know how it will start off, maybe with the Bulsara family moving to England? I don't know why, I'd feel strange if his very early years had a part in the biopic. Maybe it's just me who feels that way, you may have noticed I'm often the only one who feels the way I do about certain things. :lol: no fk that, I an usually the only one :lol: :lol:.
I think promotion for the film will go high gear during the summer.
Even though, I'm conflicted about this movie, I hope it does Freddie justice.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:29 am

Very recent - albeit short - quote from Graham King on the film:

'As most people know, this has been my passion project for a lot of years.... I am really excited about this film and the way it turned out. I just cannot wait to get it out there and show everyone and I think people will just fall in love with this film. I just think we’ve got a really major film on our hands.'

I think this is a pretty good sign. Normally when a film looks like it is going to be a complete turkey the main players keep well away, but this statement - along with Joe Mazzello's and Gwilym Lee's positive tweets after they wrapped - gives us all hope that this could be a beaut.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On