The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 pm

John Deacon played an important role to make Queen big in America. He wrote Another One Bites the Dust and should get some credit for that in the movie. It was a big thing in Queen's history!

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:47 pm

I"m sure John won't get shafted. If anything, we'll see him in a way we've seen him before. Which I imagine will be a good thing.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Kes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am

Another_Roger wrote:John Deacon played an important role to make Queen big in America. He wrote Another One Bites the Dust and should get some credit for that in the movie. It was a big thing in Queen's history!

Hmmm, something that was inherently a throw-away idea, until Mr Mercury got hold of it, that is.

There's two songs written by other members of the band that immediately spring to mind, that were not really going anywhere special, until Freddie took them under his wing and effectively re-wrote them. AOBTD and A Kind Of Magic. Sometimes, I think Freddie was the difference between something being a good song, and a ground-breaking one.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:02 am

Lover Boy wrote:I"m sure John won't get shafted. If anything, we'll see him in a way we've seen him before. Which I imagine will be a good thing.

Yeah, especially as the film approaches the 80's I'd imagine a lot of the focus will be on AOBTD cracking America and the success of The Game as a whole, the big rise before the '82-'84 slump, tensions and critical backlash and then the climactic rise at Live Aid.

Though like others have said, I don't think Live Aid will be the end of the film per se but rather used in media res (sp?) style.

Like so:

The film opens backstage at Live Aid with Freddie alone, pondering 'how I/We got here', then flashing back to the 70's.

The film then goes through '70-'85 with the rises and falls that came with all that.

Then we see the entirety of the Live Aid set recreated and the second wind that it provided, detailing the Magic Tour and Freddie's health lapsing over time.

The film could then end on Freddie laying down the vocals for 'The Show Must Go On' prompting an ending montage/ round up of all the highs that we've covered so far , roll credits.

No, no, wait just leave it to the professionals VDM. :oops:

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 am

Kes wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:John Deacon played an important role to make Queen big in America. He wrote Another One Bites the Dust and should get some credit for that in the movie. It was a big thing in Queen's history!

Hmmm, something that was inherently a throw-away idea, until Mr Mercury got hold of it, that is.

There's two songs written by other members of the band that immediately spring to mind, that were not really going anywhere special, until Freddie took them under his wing and effectively re-wrote them. AOBTD and A Kind Of Magic. Sometimes, I think Freddie was the difference between something being a good song, and a ground-breaking one.

And Radio Gaga of course. Not sure about AOBTD, I understood it was more about Freddie championing the song and the style John wanted, rather than reworking it into a hit like he did with Magic. Still, who knows (Mack?)

Anyway off topic. Two things have occurred to me. One is about accents - curious to see how Rami approaches Freddie's rather sibilant, public school-esque speech patterns, as Rami seems to speak naturally in a very low drawl (and is American, obvs). And I wonder how Joe Mazello (another American!) will tackle John, whose accent is as parochial English (flat midlands vowels) as they come. I suspect he'll go for generic English and/or John will be the 'quiet' one in the film. ;)

The other thing is about other biopics over the years and which have done justice to their subjects. I found a great read recently about the various Beatles biopics over the years, most of which seem to insist on casting men in their 30s and late 40s as the teenage/young John Lennon. Anyway I thought Backbeat was the a great Beatles picture. The recent ish Hendrix film was OK actually although the lead actor weirdly seemed to sort of disappear into the background (no danger of that with the Queen film). Away from music, the Basquiat film is excellent. I suppose Walk the Line and Ray are the two nearest equivalents in recent years and hopefully they'll set the standard.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby bigV » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am

Kes wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:There's two songs written by other members of the band that immediately spring to mind, that were not really going anywhere special, until Freddie took them under his wing and effectively re-wrote them. AOBTD and A Kind Of Magic. Sometimes, I think Freddie was the difference between something being a good song, and a ground-breaking one.

I think he also had a major role in remixing Radio Ga Ga. I read that somewhere.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby cmsdrums » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am

Kes wrote:

Sometimes, I think Freddie was the difference between something being a good song, and a ground-breaking one.

The mostly bland, inspiration-less production and arrangements on Mr Bad Guy would suggest that was not ALWAYS the case!!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Welshqueenfan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am

im wondering what music will be used, obviously brian heavy soundtrack, with we will rock you etc, in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the soundtrack was just we will rock you on a loop. sick of that song now, its used in everything queen have done since freddie died. its not as if it was their biggest hit, but cos brian wrote it they play it all the time.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 am

Mmmmmm...I don't agree. It's become a part of culture and they'd be crazy not to use it. Hell, it'll be over used long after Brian is no longer with us.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Kes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 pm

cmsdrums wrote:
Kes wrote:

Sometimes, I think Freddie was the difference between something being a good song, and a ground-breaking one.

The mostly bland, inspiration-less production and arrangements on Mr Bad Guy would suggest that was not ALWAYS the case!!

I think Freddie quite possibly would "change" other people's songs, in a way that he couldn't with things he'd created himself. You kind of get blinded (and directed) by what inspired you to write a song in the first place.

Anyway, with the Mr Bad Guy stuff, I think Jim Beach explained that at the premiere for The Great Pretender film, when he said "Freddie was about halfway through the production of the Mr Bad Guy album when he walked into the studio with a tape of Monserrat Caballe, put it on, and said gesturing to his multitrack tape "Fuck all this pop music stuff! Now THIS is what I really want to do!"

You kind of get the impression that at the critical phase of turning what he'd written, into something on another level, he just lost interest in it, and it became a case of just putting it out, largely unrefined.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Kes wrote:
I think Freddie quite possibly would "change" other people's songs, in a way that he couldn't with things he'd created himself.

Anyway, with the Mr Bad Guy stuff, I think Jim Beach explained that at the premiere for The Great Pretender film, when he said "Freddie was about halfway through the production of the Mr Bad Guy album when he walked into the studio with a tape of Monserrat Caballe, put it on, and said gesturing to his multitrack tape "Fuck all this pop music stuff! Now THIS is what I really want to do!"

Yes, I get that impression too, but in the way of him simply tweaking them to fit him just that little bit more. There of course were times where he didn't get his way though, such as Deacy using the Wurlitzer EP on YMBF, which Fred allegedly hated.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 pm

"No, John played THAT. You see, I don't like them. They're tinny and horrible! Anyway, who'd want to use one of those things, when you've got a lovely super grand piano right in front of you?"

Freddie Mercury. BBC Radio One Tom Browne Interview 1977.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bigV » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 am

Kes wrote:"No, John played THAT. You see, I don't like them. They're tinny and horrible! Anyway, who'd want to use one of those things, when you've got a lovely super grand piano right in front of you?"

This is about You're My Best Friend, yes?

The story is that John didn't play the piano initially. But when the group started to take off, and he finally accepted that being a professional musician is what he would do for the rest of his life (or the foreseeable future), he should start to expand his horizons from the bass guitar. He mostly taught himself, if I'm not mistaken. He had an electric piano that he used to practice at home. YMFB evolved from that, that's why the electric piano is present in the song.

I can almost imagine Freddie throwing a diva tantrum, saying "No, darling, I'm not going to play THAT thing! You want it on the record - you play it!"

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:34 pm

bigV wrote:
Kes wrote:"No, John played THAT. You see, I don't like them. They're tinny and horrible! Anyway, who'd want to use one of those things, when you've got a lovely super grand piano right in front of you?"

This is about You're My Best Friend, yes?

The story is that John didn't play the piano initially. But when the group started to take off, and he finally accepted that being a professional musician is what he would do for the rest of his life (or the foreseeable future), he should start to expand his horizons from the bass guitar. He mostly taught himself, if I'm not mistaken. He had an electric piano that he used to practice at home. YMFB evolved from that, that's why the electric piano is present in the song.

I can almost imagine Freddie throwing a diva tantrum, saying "No, darling, I'm not going to play THAT thing! You want it on the record - you play it!"

V.

I could imagine him throwing a bit of a tantrum too, but I can't say I blame John for using the Wurlitser, it just sounds more suited to that particular song.

Indeed, when I'm playing around on my Piano and keyboard at home I tend to gravitate towards the EP sounds on my keyboard, it's just a happier, brighter sound.

Right, enough about VDM's boring home life, back to the film:

This is another 'Scenes I'd like to see but know damn well might not make it!'

[*]The birth of the bottomless mic stand.
[*]Freddie getting a postcard of TFFMS then getting annoyed because the image had been flipped the wrong way around.
[*]A comical montage of Freddie 'crazy shopping' in Japan, bonus points if it's set to an instrumental of 'Lazing'.
[*]Brian's harp trouble during the recording of LOML
[*]The disastrous first US tour with Bri's illness
[*]A recreation of the 'It's a Hard Life' Video, with Freddie having a ball and the others looking ready to kill.
[*]A cut to Elton John hearing Bo Rhap for the first time and wondering what the florp he'd just heard.
[*]Freddie (trying) to record with MJ but getting distracted by MJ's animal friends.
[*] Deacy, hungover from Pizza, forgetting the bassline to Under Pressure.
[*] Bowie sneaking his head round the door during Freddie recording his vocals for Under Pressure and visa versa
[*]Roger getting blown off his drumstool by fireworks.

Ah, it's fun speculating, pointless but fun.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Oh, if we're doing "fantasy scenes"... I'd love to see a recreation of the writing of I Want to Break Free. The way I heard it:

The guys were in the studio, messing about, playing Scrabble, chatting. John was having tea in a corner. He sat there for a long time, and by then the others knew him well enough that they didn't distract him. Finally, when he finished his tea, he stood up and said: "Right. I've written a song." He had written the music, the lyrics, the structure - everything.

Another one that would be fun is the "cornflakes incident". But I'm not sure I could do it justice.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On