The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I"m sure John won't get shafted. If anything, we'll see him in a way we've seen him before. Which I imagine will be a good thing.

Yeah, I agree.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Well, I have just paid a visit to one of the film websites I check from time to time and the chap who runs it has received the Bo Rhap script (he has not put it up to view but rather written a brief synopsis). Now, he states that this is Mccarten's version from 2015 and that much could have changed by now, but it should still reveal where the film is going, what they were aiming for, etc.

Nothing major is given away (it is only a few paragraphs); but the flavour of the film is discussed and reviewed by two individuals (one of them a film producer). Anyway, here's the link for anyone who is interested:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/04/page/3/

And, remember, this version is a couple of years old, so it is highly likely that many things have evolved along the way - but it is something. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:29 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Well, I have just paid a visit to one of the film websites I check from time to time and the chap who runs it has received the Bo Rhap script (he has not put it up to view but rather written a brief synopsis). Now, he states that this is Mccarten's version from 2015 and that much could have changed by now, but it should still reveal where the film is going, what they were aiming for, etc.

Nothing major is given away (it is only a few paragraphs); but the flavour of the film is discussed and reviewed by two individuals (one of them a film producer). Anyway, here's the link for anyone who is interested:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/04/page/3/

And, remember, this version is a couple of years old, so it is highly likely that many things have evolved along the way - but it is something. :)

Family friendly that Brian and Roger wanted according to that. Will it be one of those type of films? I hope not.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby nicksmithworld » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 pm

phpBB [video]
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:14 am

I was wondering when that would be posted. Nice find, fellow Wulfrunian.

Whilst I'm here, my thoughts are leaning towards both Mike Myers and the trailer. maybe his role (hopefully as RTB) will be revealed then, even if it's just a brief silly homage to WW with him headbanging to BoRhap or something like that.

We aren't far off May now, and given as most trailers hit 6 months before release, we could get the trailer fairly soon. Perhaps with Solo.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:34 am

I hope that script has been rewritten, if those reports are accurate. It can still be family friendly but if they've stuck to the "Mary was Freddie's only true love" angle, that's very much missing out on the reality of Freddie's private life, especially his relationship with Jim. A huge part of Freddie's story is that he never publicly came out but otherwise lived absolutely as a gay man, with Mary playing his long term 'girlfriend' in public for the press/cameras, and to a large extent, for his parents. That's a huge part of his life that really shouldn't be whitewashed. It will be a massive missed opportunity for the film not to explore that contradiction within his emotional life.

I know Freddie's sexuality/relationships are not the only thing the film is dealing with but on a dramatic, emotional level, they are key to him as a person and as an artist.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am

Agreed. It does seem the script might have been re-written somewhat considering Jim will be part of the film towards the climax.

There is also a picture of Malek as Freddie from behind entering a club swathed in pink lights so I think his nightlife will be explored very lightly (in tone, not time), just no in the warts and all way one would expect.

The 2nd US tour seems to be a big part too judging by the cast list detailing MSG fans and officials and an image that looks like it could be Houston. So Freddie's nocturnal habits might be explored there aswell.

I've confidence that the film will be a 12 over here, a strong 12. Family friendly but not too bashful.

Obviously his relationship with Mary will play a big part early on, and being how close they were even after their split I don't mind that, but the reasons for the split and Freddie exploring his orientation should not be cast aside in favour of a 'guy meets gal' cliché-fest.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Montavilla » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Since they say the script portrays Mary as having the "patience of a saint," that indicates to me that they're at least going to deal with Freddie's sexual orientation.

Although, it would take a lot of patience to put up with a boyfriend who keeps a piano keyboard attached to his bed so he can play dreamed up melodies in the middle of the night!
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Montavilla wrote:Since they say the script portrays Mary as having the "patience of a saint," that indicates to me that they're at least going to deal with Freddie's sexual orientation.

Although, it would take a lot of patience to put up with a boyfriend who keeps a piano keyboard attached to his bed so he can play dreamed up melodies in the middle of the night!

Yeah, the various cocks she could handle; but hearing the beginnings of Bo Rhap for the millionth time whilst trying to sleep must have pushed her to the limit. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Pingu wrote:I hope that script has been rewritten, if those reports are accurate. It can still be family friendly but if they've stuck to the "Mary was Freddie's only true love" angle, that's very much missing out on the reality of Freddie's private life, especially his relationship with Jim. A huge part of Freddie's story is that he never publicly came out but otherwise lived absolutely as a gay man, with Mary playing his long term 'girlfriend' in public for the press/cameras, and to a large extent, for his parents. That's a huge part of his life that really shouldn't be whitewashed. It will be a massive missed opportunity for the film not to explore that contradiction within his emotional life.

I know Freddie's sexuality/relationships are not the only thing the film is dealing with but on a dramatic, emotional level, they are key to him as a person and as an artist.

I agree. I think as long as they do not sanitise his story too much and are honest then this film will be fine. I totally understand them focusing on Freddie and Mary though - their love and their bond was so unique and strong it deserves to be told.

I honestly think we will see him going off the rails a little in Germany, but his behaviour and actions will be hinted at rather than shown - and that is fine by me. As long as they do not try and make him out to be something he wasn't - a saint; I mean, I adore this man with all my heart, but I do so knowing he was not perfect (like us all) - I like my Freddie warts and all.

I do think they will get the balance right here. I just cannot wait for this trailer.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Just been reading about the new Elton John biopic in the pipeline: I would say it is a positive sign (for our film) that Dexter Fletcher is going to be directing it. And Anthony Mccarten is to be penning the John and Yoko biopic - hopefully another good sign.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Another John and Yoko biopic? If it's an excuse to get Owen Wilson playing Harry Nilsson if it explores 'The Lost Weekend' then count me in.

Looking forward to the Elton biopic too. Taron's an interesting choice.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Another John and Yoko biopic? If it's an excuse to get Owen Wilson playing Harry Nilsson if it explores 'The Lost Weekend' then count me in.

The only concern I have about the John/Yoko biopic is just how much control she actually has over it; we may then only hear a very one-sided story.

I am looking forward to the Elton biopic too - that could be a real winner.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Another John and Yoko biopic? If it's an excuse to get Owen Wilson playing Harry Nilsson if it explores 'The Lost Weekend' then count me in.

The only concern I have about the John/Yoko biopic is just how much control she actually has over it; we may then only hear a very one-sided story.

I am looking forward to the Elton biopic too - that could be a real winner.

Hey, can you give me a link or point me in the direction to what you have read about the EJ biopic?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:17 pm

icy wrote:Hey, can you give me a link or point me in the direction to what you have read about the EJ biopic?

It's all over Google, Icy. I have only read a few bits and pieces about the fella who is playing Elton and the fact that Dexter Fletcher is going to be directing. Just Google Elton biopic and you'll find plenty of news about it (I really want to see it). :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On