The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Broooklyn » Tue May 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Ok, I have viewed it numerous times now, and after digesting it, I am really liking the possibilities here. The guy who portrays Brian, from the one scene shown, really nailed him.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby Good Apothecary Man » Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm

For what it’s worth, I think that some of the statements in the various press releases, particularly the Greg Brooks quotes, are ill advised. I refer to things like: “…worked…to re-create every tiny detail of each scene and to make it as authentic as possible” and “It is real in every way that it could reasonably be.”

We’re touching on concepts like ‘realism’, ‘verisimilitude’ and ‘authenticity’, which are massively important in film studies and in theories of representation generally – people write whole theses about them in relation to just one film! At its simplest, although accuracy obviously matters in historical reconstructions, it isn’t the be-all and end-all – and some people would say it’s not even the most important element. A film can include plenty of inaccuracies and yet still be a ‘good’ film.

People have expressed sentiments about this film along the lines of: ‘I hope it brings out their sense of humour’, ‘I just want it to do them justice’ and ‘I want it to be faithful to the story of the band’. To do all that in two hours or whatever – and be entertaining, well balanced and a million other things – any film is going to play fast and loose with the known facts. I can accept that argument.

The trouble is that Greg Brooks’ comments have made it all about accuracy and nothing else – down to the last cigarette packet and tour sticker, he says. I can understand why he has made those comments – his role as adviser to the movie production team, after all, makes him the custodian of accuracy and attention to detail. But for me, his comments are the equivalent of throwing down the proverbial gauntlet. I might well have been content to overlook the occasional inaccuracy or three (provided there were no real howlers) but now it just feels like Greg is challenging us: go on then, he is saying, spot the inaccuracies.

Okay then, here’s one. Concert lighting has always been a massive thing for me with Queen so the on-stage stills immediately caught my eye. At a push, you could say that the bank of lights behind ‘Freddie’ in the image below (sorry, not sure how to post a specific image) vaguely brings to mind the ‘pizza oven’ from ’78-’79. Meanwhile, the colour arrangement and shape of each ‘block’ best resemble the lights from the ’82 Hot Space tour. The problem is, I’m guessing from the outfits it’s meant to be the 1980 US tour.

That’s just one example. There are others cited elsewhere but my point is this: I get that this seems (literally) a trivial matter – far more important for the film to portray the power and impact of Queen’s live show in general – but it just sits uncomfortably with statements from Greg like: “…the Fox team were obsessed with detail; getting every aspect of every scene perfectly right”.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/mediaviewer/rm47406336
"Steel yourself: this is valid"

Good Apothecary Man
Spread Your Wings

Postby KNIGHT » Tue May 15, 2018 7:03 pm

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Must say...I'm actually very impressed by the trailer. :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby sharon20 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Brian posted this on Instagram - Trailer number 2. Since there seems to be a question out there ... This is a film about Freddie. Yes, Queen was a massive part of his life, but the film is a portrait of Freddie as a human being. Bri

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby EDWOOD » Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm

The trailer is now number 1 on trending for the whole of Youtube - the 20th Century Fox trailer is currently on 1,173,288 views after a few hours. :shock:

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby AlexKx » Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Why would he just now be addressing that?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby 777nevada777 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:04 pm

If QPL does not prepare a major release in conjunction with all of this publicity and the likely influx of new fans, they are out to lunch IMHO.

What could that be? Deep fans would like Houston '77, Kampuchea, etc.

However, what might sell to the masses and new fans is a fully restored set of Queen music videos, including Innuendo and MIH.

Lots of people are going to want to see the real thing. They already can see Live Aid, Wembley '86, Rainbow, Hammersmith etc. Specific live shows probably is deeper than new people probably want to go on a first look.

My young grandchildren love the videos (I have GVHI and II), despite their raggedy appearance. They would really work if cleaned up using modern technology. They are essentially GH1 and II with video.

777nevada777
Spread Your Wings

Postby DANAIR737 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:05 pm

There's definitely something missing in the trailer. "This is where the operatic section comes in, DEAR. "I pity your wife if she thinks six minutes is forever, DARLING!" Wouldn't Rami be a more convincing Freddie if the dialogue was a bit more Freddie, especially as Freddie's talking voice was as unique as his singing? It will be interesting to see what else Rami has to say. I do hope that they don't dilute Freddie's campness.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm

AlexKx wrote:Why would he just now be addressing that?

If you mean Brian I suspect it's in response to lots of negative comments, saying the movie will be rubbish, that Freddie dies halfway through and the rest is about Queen carrying on afterwards and that it will be a sanitized version and more about the band than Freddie. I've never seen so many negative, nasty comments as there's been on facebook since yesterday's trailer teaser.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby lelemaple » Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Okay, looking at the trailer again (and again :lol:)....I really do think Mr. Six Bloody Minutes IS Mike Myers. Just sounds too much like him to not be, and I don't think it's supposed to be RTB there.

You are correct! It is him.

lelemaple
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

sharon20 wrote:
AlexKx wrote:Why would he just now be addressing that?

If you mean Brian I suspect it's in response to lots of negative comments, saying the movie will be rubbish, that Freddie dies halfway through and the rest is about Queen carrying on afterwards and that it will be a sanitized version and more about the band than Freddie. I've never seen so many negative, nasty comments as there's been on facebook since yesterday's trailer teaser.

Who would have thought Queen fans had strong opinions? Queen fans are never shy about saying how they feel.
I don't blame some of those opinions. Until very recently, I had mixed feelings about the film, but I hope this film does Freddie ( and yes, the other 3 as well ) justice. It will be strange seeing it on the big screen.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby TheHero » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 pm

The trailer was great! :)

Brian is really good here. I liked the part where he says

"The operatic section.. yeah.."

Haha.. that could be typical Brian, and I hope for more of that kind of humour.

We know Freddie and Roger liked to fool around and make fun, while Brian was more serious and sceptical in general. He has his own kind of humour. So it was spot on here! I am positively surprised. The attention to details and the retro look of it is wonderful! Bravo! I also think Rami does a fantastic job on stage like Freddie. The moves and posing. He is 110 % into this role, heart and soul, sweat and tears.

I also think the trailer did great on not revealing too much of the contents.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Other great details:

- The cute cat running across the piano! Brilliant idea! :-)
- Tape recording machine, clicks and sound, turntable..

I love it!

The retro gadgets reminds me of the brilliant Super 8 movie, which is still one of my all time favourite movies because of the attention to, and focus on the right details.

Sound, lighting and resolution is perfect!

I am now starting to believe this will be a success. The clip is seen by 1,2 million people after a few hours online.

If the rest of the movie is as great as this trailer, it WILL undoubtly be a very good thing for the legacy of Queen.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm

One more thing .. from a sound perspective:

The audio mix of Queen songs blending into and drifting away from eachother, is a good idea and very well done!

I am glad they also used original Freddie vocals.

By the way: The Instagram clip has a different intro compared with the YouTube one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BizIaoTlZxg/

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On