The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby devogue » Tue May 15, 2018 11:48 pm

I'm absolutely blown away by it.

I think Rami has got Freddie's voice pretty close, but more importantly he has nailed that wicked humour and naughtiness, that glint in his eye (that look from the stage to Mary) and his supernatural energy. It's also hugely satisfying to see the other band members so well portrayed, even in these small glimpses - Brian is scarily accurate, and Roger's smirk and John's stifled giggle at Freddie's remark to the EMI executive just seem to be so spot on. After years of shit-wigged Maylor and Deaky portrayals it's just such a joy to see.

The musical mash up for the trailer is absolutely stunning - sometimes in the depths of fanhood we can become a little bogged down by detail and we forget just how astonishingly powerful and memorable Queen's output was...the sound, the colour, the bombast, the youthful glory, the cockiness, the fun, the sheer energy...it's just breathtaking. Even more, while paying homage to their greatness live (the flamboyance meme), it looks like we are going to get a sense of their musical expertise, the nuts and bolts of how they worked so hard to achieve what they did.

Like many of you, I remember being a teenager when Freddie lived and died, I remember the grief I got at school for liking Queen - it wasn't just that they were unfashionable, they were absolutely hated by the music press, the mainstream press, my friends, my parents, everybody - I never met another Queen fan until I went to The AIDS awareness concert in 1992. But I was lucky enough to study music from a young age, and I was able to recognise how good the four members were - their musicianship is just boundlessly brilliant and innovative; again, like many of you I could see past the bombast and power to the deep core of emotion in their work.

To paraphrase Freddie, we always knew Queen were incredible, now it seems the rest of the world agrees with us. Talent certainly will out, my dears. Freddie Mercury is exalted, a legend elevated beyond measure, their music which was once reviled by long forgotten piss-ant hacks now shines and illuminates an often cruel world. As many of the once revered, cool, "relevant" musical "legends" of the late 20th century recede with their average music in to the depths of forgotten musical history, Queen's star continues to grow and shine. It's fucking wonderful to see and this movie is the next step in the story - it's going to throw the floodgates open to millions of new fans, swarms of youngsters who will delve like we did in to the greatness of Queen's complete oeuvre. Hearing it all for the first time - the lucky bastards.

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby smitto78 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:49 pm

The trailer now has over 2 million views and is still trending at #1 :shock:

Walked into my office this morning and everyone waited for me to put the trailer up on our big screen. Needless to say, they were beyond impressed. I work with a good mix of guys and gals in their early 20's - late 40's, so we pretty much spent the rest of the day discussing the band...but, mostly Freddie.

I get a very strong feeling this is going to be a gigantic hit here in the States, and Rami Malek is about to be launched into superstardom. BTW, I have to agree that Gwilym Lee sounds almost exactly like Brian May. It's a bit scary.

Today was a good day.
"Dom. DAH-DAH! Huh?" – Fred

smitto78
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 pm

So for the trailer: Top quality! Amazing!

Way better than the horrible purple-ish poster which is now heading the official Facebook site.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WiseMan » Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am

I hope everybody noticed that in the trailer were shown footage from Rainbow, Houston( If I am not mistaken), and Montreal ( again if I am not mistaken). In my opinion Brian and Roger was necessary to invite John Blunt to the film, not Malek

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am

looks and sounds very good to me! I'm quite excited by this now actually.

The live aid vocals are probably marc martel? I hope the rest of the film is Freddie.

Malek has the moves down, no doubt. Too little talking in this clip to really judge the tone of his voice (although he seems to have a deeper voice than freddie), but the humour comes across very well imo.
He pretty much looks the part also,I think. I wouldn't want a Freddie lookalike for this film, but in many of the shots malek looks alot like Freddie

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 am

WiseMan wrote:I hope everybody noticed that in the trailer were shown footage from Rainbow, Houston( If I am not mistaken), and Montreal ( again if I am not mistaken). In my opinion Brian and Roger was necessary to invite John Blunt to the film, not Malek

I agree. When I was watching the very begining of the chanel 5 drama I thought it was a documentary then I noticed the horid wigs! :) John Blunt was incredible, uncanny likeness: looks, voice, everything. Rami was chosen because of his popularity, I guess. John's not famous enough to star in a movie. What a shame!

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby WiseMan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am

AngelR wrote:
WiseMan wrote:I hope everybody noticed that in the trailer were shown footage from Rainbow, Houston( If I am not mistaken), and Montreal ( again if I am not mistaken). In my opinion Brian and Roger was necessary to invite John Blunt to the film, not Malek

I agree. When I was watching the very begining of the chanel 5 drama I thought it was a documentary! John Blunt was incredible, uncanny likeness: looks, voice, everything. Rami was chosen because of his popularity, I guess. John's not famous enough to star in a movie. What a shame!

Agree. Much of those who watching for Johm blunt activity on twitter says about it. I do not know and I think I do not want to know anything about popularity Rami, because personal for me, Rami not 100% Freddie. Rami's eyes speaks against him

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

TheHero wrote:One more thing .. from a sound perspective:

I am glad they also used original Freddie vocals.

By the way: The Instagram clip has a different intro compared with the YouTube one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BizIaoTlZxg/

The ‘day-oh’ piece at the start sounds like Marc Martel to me - really great, but just enough to give it away. I’m so glad they found him as any audio they recreate will sound great, and ‘joe public’ won’t even notice.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 am

I like how they used Roger's face on the bass drum head, slightly adjusted for the actor playing Roger.
And the drum podium looks great. At 0:09 in the video clip.

The drumkits are the authentic 70s Ludwig kits that Roger used. Well done!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 am

Notice at 0:18 there is the Smile logo in background with Roger, Brian and Freddie in front.
Don't forget to Smile!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am

Just look at all the cool details we have found in a trailer lasting only 1:30, then imagine the complete movie! :o The airport is 70s style, and all the other stuff in the background. This is obviously a quality production, must have cost a lot.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am

The Capital radio studio at 0:39. :cool:

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby devogue » Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 am

Kenny Everett.

(Is it too much to hope that Rami will read the weather forecast? ;-) )

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am

The trailer is great. Everything is subjective of course, but for me this was really impressive. As for Rami Malek I am glad we didnt get a lookalike. The most important thing is that the actors are able pull off the spirit of each bandmember. For me it's quite amusing to see certain Queen fans searching with flash lights to point out factual errors so they can show how "knowledgable they are". Most people who post in here will notice some errors if they look for them, but I wont focus too much on them myself.

About John singing in the studio with the rest. So what? He probably never did that. But live he was often seen singing into a mic that was probably off. The neutral reviews I have seen have been excellent. As John Campea said: "This is a perfect expample of how a first trailer should be done. It doesnt give away anything, but its wetting your apetite wanting more."

He also points out that it is impossible to judge if the film is good or bad from this. We will know more when we get the main trailer later on.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 am

devogue wrote:I'm absolutely blown away by it.

I think Rami has got Freddie's voice pretty close, but more importantly he has nailed that wicked humour and naughtiness, that glint in his eye (that look from the stage to Mary) and his supernatural energy. It's also hugely satisfying to see the other band members so well portrayed, even in these small glimpses - Brian is scarily accurate, and Roger's smirk and John's stifled giggle at Freddie's remark to the EMI executive just seem to be so spot on. After years of shit-wigged Maylor and Deaky portrayals it's just such a joy to see.

The musical mash up for the trailer is absolutely stunning - sometimes in the depths of fanhood we can become a little bogged down by detail and we forget just how astonishingly powerful and memorable Queen's output was...the sound, the colour, the bombast, the youthful glory, the cockiness, the fun, the sheer energy...it's just breathtaking. Even more, while paying homage to their greatness live (the flamboyance meme), it looks like we are going to get a sense of their musical expertise, the nuts and bolts of how they worked so hard to achieve what they did.

Like many of you, I remember being a teenager when Freddie lived and died, I remember the grief I got at school for liking Queen - it wasn't just that they were unfashionable, they were absolutely hated by the music press, the mainstream press, my friends, my parents, everybody - I never met another Queen fan until I went to The AIDS awareness concert in 1992. But I was lucky enough to study music from a young age, and I was able to recognise how good the four members were - their musicianship is just boundlessly brilliant and innovative; again, like many of you I could see past the bombast and power to the deep core of emotion in their work.

To paraphrase Freddie, we always knew Queen were incredible, now it seems the rest of the world agrees with us. Talent certainly will out, my dears. Freddie Mercury is exalted, a legend elevated beyond measure, their music which was once reviled by long forgotten piss-ant hacks now shines and illuminates an often cruel world. As many of the once revered, cool, "relevant" musical "legends" of the late 20th century recede with their average music in to the depths of forgotten musical history, Queen's star continues to grow and shine. It's fucking wonderful to see and this movie is the next step in the story - it's going to throw the floodgates open to millions of new fans, swarms of youngsters who will delve like we did in to the greatness of Queen's complete oeuvre. Hearing it all for the first time - the lucky bastards.

What an absolutely beautifully written review. Spot on. You have put into words just how much this band is loved by so many - and just how bloody important they are...

...and the best thing is that Queen, as you quite rightly say, seem to be growing in popularity with each passing year; I recall when he died and how awful it was being a Queen fan (after years, like yourself, of defending him and taking all sorts of shit because of my love and admiration for this beautiful man) - I remember thinking, after the pain had receded, that we would never see anything of our dear Freddie again. 27 years later and I could not have been more wrong. 27 years later and Freddie still looms wonderfully large over the whole music world and lives on in the hearts and souls of people across the globe. Gawd bless him.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On