The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

cmsdrums wrote:

The ‘day-oh’ piece at the start sounds like Marc Martel to me - really great, but just enough to give it away. I’m so glad they found him as any audio they recreate will sound great, and ‘joe public’ won’t even notice.

Yeah, it is definitely Martel. One hundred per cent. I was confused when I first started reading about how they were going to re-record the live music in places with another vocalist; but then I realised that if the available live audio they have is not the best quality then they had to go down this route. And who better than Marc?

Oh, and I guarantee that the majority of casual fans will think that intro audio is Freddie. Good old Marc Martel.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Another_Roger » Wed May 16, 2018 11:11 am

Almost 7 millions have watched the trailer so far (Fox + Official Queen). My question is though: Was it wise to upload the video on two different official channels? Maybe it would have been best to only have it on the 20th century Fox channel? Now the two uploads eats from each other.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby devogue » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
devogue wrote:I'm absolutely blown away by it.

I think Rami has got Freddie's voice pretty close, but more importantly he has nailed that wicked humour and naughtiness, that glint in his eye (that look from the stage to Mary) and his supernatural energy. It's also hugely satisfying to see the other band members so well portrayed, even in these small glimpses - Brian is scarily accurate, and Roger's smirk and John's stifled giggle at Freddie's remark to the EMI executive just seem to be so spot on. After years of shit-wigged Maylor and Deaky portrayals it's just such a joy to see.

The musical mash up for the trailer is absolutely stunning - sometimes in the depths of fanhood we can become a little bogged down by detail and we forget just how astonishingly powerful and memorable Queen's output was...the sound, the colour, the bombast, the youthful glory, the cockiness, the fun, the sheer energy...it's just breathtaking. Even more, while paying homage to their greatness live (the flamboyance meme), it looks like we are going to get a sense of their musical expertise, the nuts and bolts of how they worked so hard to achieve what they did.

Like many of you, I remember being a teenager when Freddie lived and died, I remember the grief I got at school for liking Queen - it wasn't just that they were unfashionable, they were absolutely hated by the music press, the mainstream press, my friends, my parents, everybody - I never met another Queen fan until I went to The AIDS awareness concert in 1992. But I was lucky enough to study music from a young age, and I was able to recognise how good the four members were - their musicianship is just boundlessly brilliant and innovative; again, like many of you I could see past the bombast and power to the deep core of emotion in their work.

To paraphrase Freddie, we always knew Queen were incredible, now it seems the rest of the world agrees with us. Talent certainly will out, my dears. Freddie Mercury is exalted, a legend elevated beyond measure, their music which was once reviled by long forgotten piss-ant hacks now shines and illuminates an often cruel world. As many of the once revered, cool, "relevant" musical "legends" of the late 20th century recede with their average music in to the depths of forgotten musical history, Queen's star continues to grow and shine. It's fucking wonderful to see and this movie is the next step in the story - it's going to throw the floodgates open to millions of new fans, swarms of youngsters who will delve like we did in to the greatness of Queen's complete oeuvre. Hearing it all for the first time - the lucky bastards.

What an absolutely beautifully written review. Spot on. You have put into words just how much this band is loved by so many - and just how bloody important they are...

...and the best thing is that Queen, as you quite rightly say, seem to be growing in popularity with each passing year; I recall when he died and how awful it was being a Queen fan (after years, like yourself, of defending him and taking all sorts of shit because of my love and admiration for this beautiful man) - I remember thinking, after the pain had receded, that we would never see anything of our dear Freddie again. 27 years later and I could not have been more wrong. 27 years later and Freddie still looms wonderfully large over the whole music world and lives on in the hearts and souls of people across the globe. Gawd bless him.

Thank you - ah yes, the years of defending, explaining, justifying our love for this group; the casual homophobia, the dismissiveness....joke band...cartoon music...novelty act...etc etc etc (you’ve heard them all)...so I hope people will forgive our sense of vindication as Queen continues to astound new generations. We were first: in small, individual ways we held the torch which is now being passed on. We deserve to feel proud, to reflect a little and feel good. I love my band, I always have.

This film is going to be enormous and I think it will crack open the entire Queen catalogue to the world in ways we can’t imagine.

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 am

devogue wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
What an absolutely beautifully written review. Spot on. You have put into words just how much this band is loved by so many - and just how bloody important they are...

...and the best thing is that Queen, as you quite rightly say, seem to be growing in popularity with each passing year; I recall when he died and how awful it was being a Queen fan (after years, like yourself, of defending him and taking all sorts of shit because of my love and admiration for this beautiful man) - I remember thinking, after the pain had receded, that we would never see anything of our dear Freddie again. 27 years later and I could not have been more wrong. 27 years later and Freddie still looms wonderfully large over the whole music world and lives on in the hearts and souls of people across the globe. Gawd bless him.

Thank you - ah yes, the years of defending, explaining, justifying our love for this group; the casual homophobia, the dismissiveness....joke band...cartoon music...novelty act...etc etc etc (you’ve heard them all)...so I hope people will forgive our sense of vindication as Queen continues to astound new generations. We were first: in small, individual ways we held the torch which is now being passed on. We deserve to feel proud, to reflect a little and feel good. I love my band, I always have.

This film is going to be enormous and I think it will crack open the entire Queen catalogue to the world in ways we can’t imagine.

Your experiences of being a Queen fan virtually mirror my own: throughout my adolescent years I took so much shit for standing up for this band - and especially Freddie ('queer', 'horse teeth' 'AIDS-ridden'...blah de fuckedy blah). Now, looking back, I realise that this is what many shallow, dumb types do: knock, criticise, hate what they are not intelligent enough or deep enough to comprehend. I am just glad I stuck to my guns and stuck with our band. Talent will most certainly out!

And, yes, we do deserve to feel proud and happy and full of childish excitement about this film and about the band. And I truly believe - as you do - that this film is going to do absolute wonders for both the back catalogue and the legacy of this band (I mean, they are legendary enough, but this is going to cement that fact completely).

Also, after taking a gander at the YouTube trailer reactions (I have watched dozens so far), one thing sticks out more than anything else: no matter how old the reviewers, no matter what sexuality, what race, etc. virtually every one of them was smiling and singing along (Freddie has the power to get to people). And the overall vibe is one of excitement, positivity and - in many cases - awe.

Freddie, you've done it again. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WiseMan » Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm curious we will see in the film the process of studio recording of songs from the period 1973-1984 or only bohemian rhapsody

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

MP and Devogue, your posts were utterly heart-warming. For years, I've been lurking the boards and amongst all the snobbery, cattiness and all else that comes with any fandom, your passion for the band has always shined through.

I was born in '93, so obviously by that point Freddie had passed on, but his spirit and the spirit of Queen as a whole has always been there thanks to my parents being such big fans. I'm damned lucky to have lived in a place where almost every album (Dad hated Hot Space and I didn't listen to it until I bought the cassette tape for 20p at a Charity Shop I volunteered for as a teen) was at my disposal and damn, what a difference the band have made to my life.

Even though when I was VERY young (say 3 or 4), I would always run out of the room whenever the VHS of Greatest Flix II was played as Freddie in drag during 'I Want To Break Free' TERRIFIED me! I was a wimpy child.

I listen to lots of genres of music, we're a musical family at heart and we were always encouraged to listen to anything and everything to forge our own paths, but Queen were the seeds to almost every bit of music I've listened to since, no matter how tenuous the link.

Yes I was bullied for liking Queen, called a queer, a snob, a hipster all sorts but you just can't let that get to you.

Why be ashamed of music that has had a very strong bond on you over the years and continues to do so?

I'm not the most extroverted chap and I like my own good company a lot of the time but Queen's music has a certainpower to it that never fails to lift my spirits. As I'm sure it'll do to another generation.

This particular generation of kids now thrive on what's trending, so I'm expecting a lot of new fans to surface in the wake of the film. Some genuine, some poseurs but even so, it WILL have an impact, one that's glorious to see.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:MP and Devogue, your posts were utterly heart-warming. For years, I've been lurking the boards and amongst all the snobbery, cattiness and all else that comes with any fandom, your passion for the band has always shined through.

I was born in '93, so obviously by that point Freddie had passed on, but his spirit and the spirit of Queen as a whole has always been there thanks to my parents being such big fans. I'm damned lucky to have lived in a place where almost every album (Dad hated Hot Space and I didn't listen to it until I bought the cassette tape for 20p at a Charity Shop I volunteered for as a teen) was at my disposal and damn, what a difference the band have made to my life.

Even though when I was VERY young (say 3 or 4), I would always run out of the room whenever the VHS of Greatest Flix II was played as Freddie in drag during 'I Want To Break Free' TERRIFIED me! I was a wimpy child.

I listen to lots of genres of music, we're a musical family at heart and we were always encouraged to listen to anything and everything to forge our own paths, but Queen were the seeds to almost every bit of music I've listened to since, no matter how tenuous the link.

Yes I was bullied for liking Queen, called a queer, a snob, a hipster all sorts but you just can't let that get to you.

Why be ashamed of music that has had a very strong bond on you over the years and continues to do so?

I'm not the most extroverted chap and I like my own good company a lot of the time but Queen's music has a certainpower to it that never fails to lift my spirits. As I'm sure it'll do to another generation.

This particular generation of kids now thrive on what's trending, so I'm expecting a lot of new fans to surface in the wake of the film. Some genuine, some poseurs but even so, it WILL have an impact, one that's glorious to see.

Another wonderful post. Well stated.

I love reading other true fans' experiences. It has not always been easy for us diehards: much has been thrown in our faces over the years (mainly ignorant homophobia and immature, inane nonsense), but the fact that we are all still here and still so bloody passionate about our band speaks volumes. And we can all pat ourselves on the backs for sticking by them - hell, let's raise a glass or two over the weekend too!

It is lovely to come here and simply discuss our love for this band, without all the unnecessary bitching and vitriol (which, I confess, I have been caught up in too over the years). At the end of the day, we all share a love and respect for Queen and should be able to share such love and respect with each other - and feel damn good about it too!

I noted that you stated you are not the most extrovert of chaps but that Queen's music always lifts your spirits. There is a power and beauty to these songs...an other-worldly aspect to it which just connects with something deep inside. One can easily sit alone in a room with just the Queen catalogue and lose themselves in another world completely (when I was bullied at school, I would often shut myself away in my bedroom and find solace and hope in this music...and not feel shit for feeling like an outsider, because Freddie was an outsider too).

Here's to Queen. God bless 'em.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DANAIR737 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Is that Freddie passing Kenny Everett a copy of Bohemian Rhapsody at 0.38 in the trailer?

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby Stanislav » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

:onfire:
Last edited by Stanislav on Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stanislav
Spread Your Wings

We Will Rock You

Postby WeeMann » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:Is that Freddie passing Kenny Everett a copy of Bohemian Rhapsody at 0.38 in the trailer?

I reckon.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Pingu » Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Now then. I know some people have decided that Bowie is definitely in this movie but I'm not convinced. I think the actor Max Bennett ('David') is much more likely to be playing David Minns, Freddie's first male partner. He seems to be in the trailer's 70s shots, usually alongside Aiden Gillen (John Reid) and I think it's him getting smoochy with Fred in the studio in a very brief shot.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby DANAIR737 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

WeeMann wrote:
DANAIR737 wrote:Is that Freddie passing Kenny Everett a copy of Bohemian Rhapsody at 0.38 in the trailer?

I reckon.

Man, I keep watching and watching that trailer. I think I might have a problem, lol!

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby Belle Queenie » Wed May 16, 2018 2:37 pm

Stanislav wrote:
popyfm wrote:They've changed Roger's shirt to all red in the airport scene. Can anyone explain what was wrong with that shirt in the previous teaser?

There were japanese flag with two hieroglyphs on there - with meaning THE FAME or FAMOUS

Image Image

I found this t-shirt, was made in 80s

This is the Japanese military flag - the Rising Sun Flag, which is viewed as a symbol of imperialism and similar to fascism and the Swastika by Chinese people and even Korean and Japanese people. When the Fox official Weibo (Chinese answer to Twitter) account released the 20 seconds trailer teaser, many Chinese people complained as it's a serious offense to us and hurt our feelings badly. THAT WAS the error Brian mentioned in his Instagram post. We never saw Roger wearing such T-shirt but even if he did the movie should not portray it as people here will think Roger and the band support fascism and war which is of course not true. Great to see they deleted that version and changed his shirt in the full trailer.

QAL came to Chinese mainland for the first time with unexpected huge success and Queen' s popularity here is rising quickly. So it has received amazingly positive reviews here in China and thousands of people have viewed and forwarded it. People are crying and demanding its release in China. Fox also did a version with Chinese subtitles and it seems that they included several new scenes in this version. Fox also published the alternative poster (mock Wembley one) as well as at least 2 promotional articles on the movie and the band. The excitement is everywhere.

Full trailer with Chinese subtitles: https://m.weibo.cn/1890650350/4240098314683375
Promotional articles: https://media.weibo.cn/article?id=23094 ... 1286118422
https://media.weibo.cn/article?id=23094 ... 7542196655

Belle Queenie
Spread Your Wings

Postby YAFF » Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm

The trailer really doesn't give me certainty that Rami will make/makes a good Freddie. His looks are very distracting to begin with and the tiny bits of dialogue sounds iffy- not camp enough. It strikes me as an impersonation more than acting. Truth is Freddie and Queen mean so much to me I think I'll always find something I don't like. I'll go see the movie of course and it will be box office gold...it just feels a little sacrilegious to me. Then again if it really is a celebration of Freddie warts and all I will find it appropriate and deserving.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby EDWOOD » Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Belle Queenie wrote:
Stanislav wrote:
popyfm wrote:They've changed Roger's shirt to all red in the airport scene. Can anyone explain what was wrong with that shirt in the previous teaser?

There were japanese flag with two hieroglyphs on there - with meaning THE FAME or FAMOUS

Image Image

I found this t-shirt, was made in 80s

This is the Japanese military flag - the Rising Sun Flag, which is viewed as a symbol of imperialism and similar to fascism and the Swastika by Chinese people and even Korean and Japanese people. When the Fox official Weibo (Chinese answer to Twitter) account released the 20 seconds trailer teaser, many Chinese people complained as it's a serious offense to us and hurt our feelings badly. THAT WAS the error Brian mentioned in his Instagram post. We never saw Roger wearing such T-shirt but even if he did the movie should not portray it as people here will think Roger and the band support fascism and war which is of course not true. Great to see they deleted that version and changed his shirt in the full trailer.

QAL came to Chinese mainland for the first time with unexpected huge success and Queen' s popularity here is rising quickly. So it has received amazingly positive reviews here in China and thousands of people have viewed and forwarded it. People are crying and demanding its release in China. Fox also did a version with Chinese subtitles and it seems that they included several new scenes in this version. Fox also published the alternative poster (mock Wembley one) as well as at least 2 promotional articles on the movie and the band. The excitement is everywhere.

Full trailer with Chinese subtitles: https://m.weibo.cn/1890650350/4240098314683375
Promotional articles: https://media.weibo.cn/article?id=23094 ... 1286118422
https://media.weibo.cn/article?id=23094 ... 7542196655

Hi Belle Queenie

An interesting post thanks. I'm sure the flag was just a complete oversight on QP's/Fox's part and they certainly wouldn't have wanted to cause offence to the Chinese people who suffered horrendously during and before the 2nd World War really started with the invasion of Manchuria in the mid 1930s?)

Yes the Chinese market is one that is growing hugely but I'm not sure how far Western music acts have grown there compared to your own local music. I've read that only a certain number of Western films are only to open in China every year so the film studios have to carefully choose which ones they think will appeal to the Chinese audience. Its certainly a lucrative avenue if Fox DO get this released there and could become a sizeable hit IF marketed correctly.

Whilst I'm not sure how well this will do in the US, it seems that the international market is getting bigger every year and the % of revenue compared to America is going up and up for most releases. Looking from the comments on Youtube, etc there is a lot of international interest out there - e.g. Europe, South America, Japan, etc.

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On