The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 pm

But he also wrote 'Beautiful Day' there (IIRC) and recorded some of his best work there. Yes, NYC was his payground but clearly Munich meant something to him too. Otherwise Mack wouldn't said what he did.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby SelfMadeMan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
SelfMadeMan wrote:So are we pretty much assuming they're only showing until live aid then? Incredibly disappointed if so.

They have always stated that this film will end at Live Aid so I do not understand your disappointment. And remember that this does not mean Freddie's illness - and even passing - will not be touched upon in the film.

But Queen made the right call to end the film on a high. We all know how tragic his death was. We all know how much he suffered. We do not need to see him like that on the big screen - especially to end the film (what a downer). Nope, I think most film goers will walk away from this film on a high.

A film about his life missing a pretty big portion, making of innuendo etc is kinda disappointing. Would have been great fro them to show how strong Freddie was and how he continued regardless. Although I can see why they wouldn't want to include that time period (Brian and Roger) and as you said it would be quite hard to show that and have it not be a downer.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby SmoledMan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 pm

The biggest question I always ask myself is were Freddie's destructive tendencies vital in his creative process? I always think about that and wonder if the film will touch on it.

SmoledMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Regor » Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 pm

I rarely post here, but I wanted to comment on the trailer. Did so on QZ as well. Sorry for my english.

I think the trailer is absolutely great. This is visually stunning, looks very promising and like a fun, entertaining and moving film to watch.

Gwylim Lee? Unbelievable! I rewatched his two lines in the trailer like a dozen times, and I thought for a few seconds maybe Brian has dubbed him. Absolutely fantastic!

And Rami? I’ve read a lot of sceptic remarks about his voice, but I honestly think his performance is great (judging from these few seconds). Yeah, he has a naturally lower voice, but I think he has got the speech patterns right, and a slightly nasally tone which I also sometimes recognized in Freddie’s speaking voice, and his movements and behavior patterns are spot on.

The voice really does not distract me from the experience, quite the contrary: Actually the “operatic section”-bit immediately reminded me of a few occasions when Freddie sounded almost exactly the same – remember “I can make a bigger bang than that, dear” in the David Wigg interview?
Or “oh shit, all that crap again” in Queen talks?
Or “and then what” during Son and Daughter in Live at the Rainbow.
Or most of his banter with the audience on Live Killers, especially “the things you have to do for money” after Dreamers Ball.

That’s IMHO and everyone’s entitled to their own, but I really like how Rami says that line.

His acting seems to be great! I really like how he leans back after his comments to Gwylim's/Brian’s question, and his face expresses “of course there's an operatic section” and “you didn’t expect that, did you?” at the same time, grinning all over his face. Also when he reacts to the label executive (or whoever that is) about the 6 minutes of BoRhap – a young and hungry musician oozing confidence. Great stuff, terrific acting.

I am looking forward to his performance in the movie. I think he brings out the funny and witty side of Freddie in a great way, and I also expect him to be just as good in the more dramatic parts as well.

The others? Ben Hardy looks really promising, I like his proud smile after Freddie defends BoRhap's length. And Joe Mazzello: I already liked him from his social media posts and he looks the part. I hope we will see a lot more from him in the movie.

Just my two cents. It's a hollywood movie, so artistic license will play a big part. But I will definitely give it a chance and am really looking forward to it! See y’all around here.
Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)

Regor
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Regor wrote:

The voice really does not distract me from the experience, quite the contrary: Actually the “operatic section”-bit immediately reminded me of a few occasions when Freddie sounded almost exactly the same – remember “I can make a bigger bang than that, dear” in the David Wigg interview?

That interview is brilliant! Freddie had a great sense of humour!

I think he was asked about heaven or hell? :

"Hell of course, just think of all the interesting people you gonna meet down there.. You gonna be there too you know.. "

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby devogue » Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 pm

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby SelfMadeMan » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, there's quite a big thing online about them ignoring his gay side.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 pm

The whole point with this Queen movie, was to make it before someone else made a dirty, scandalous movie about his private life, and how "terrible" person he was. Beacuse bad/fake news sells, and that is what the press are longing for... The UK press has always been nasty with the band and especially Freddie, until his last days.

They would only wish if someone made a movie with focus on scandals, illness etc. THAT is tabloid hot stuff.

So no surprise that they will dislike a movie showing the great Freddie Mercury, because they NEVER ever apppriciated him when he was alive.

Don't let the media fool you. For some reason they love to write shit about Queen.. from the first album, to the last... during his last days, to WWRY musical..

Who remember the headline? :
Is this man dying ? (Including a pic of FM)

- I know Roger Taylor got furious when he saw that article in the newspaper.

If this is Queen's revenge against the press, so be it.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Personally, I think parts of the UK press can go fox themselves.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby SelfMadeMan » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm

I would say most mainstream US and UK press is utter crap. Crap sell so those things are always popular.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby popyfm » Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
SelfMadeMan wrote:So are we pretty much assuming they're only showing until live aid then? Incredibly disappointed if so.

They have always stated that this film will end at Live Aid so I do not understand your disappointment. And remember that this does not mean Freddie's illness - and even passing - will not be touched upon in the film.

But Queen made the right call to end the film on a high. We all know how tragic his death was. We all know how much he suffered. We do not need to see him like that on the big screen - especially to end the film (what a downer). Nope, I think most film goers will walk away from this film on a high.

I'm sure of this too. It seems fitting to end the film at not so much their 'peak' but one of their many greatest triumphs and next to Bo Rhap itself easily one of the most Pop Culturally significant, so it was the right choice.

After watching the trailer (and again, and again "OI! MOTHER! LOOK AT THIS!"....and again) I'm convinced Mike Myers is Roy Thomas Baker, the voice is a dead giveaway. Myers has a certain timbre that's all his own.
the
And yup, that's certainly Kenny Everett being handed Bo Rhap in the trailer.

I'm wondering whether the 2nd (of 7) Trailers will focus that little bit more on the 80's. The image change, the Hot Space squib, Bowie, Mr. Bad Guy and the controversies.

On the other hand, that may 'spoil' too much.

Mike Meyers is not Roy Thomas Baker. Mike is a (unnamed for now) record company executive.

popyfm
Spread Your Wings

Postby EDWOOD » Wed May 16, 2018 11:13 pm

I did see that tweet from Bryan Fuller complaining about 'straight-washing' the trailer or something - he was going on about too many clips were showing Freddie with Mary and not enough showing his 'gay' side. How the hell can you fit all this into a 'teaser' trailer of 90 seconds anyway!

People nowadays just want to tweet and complain about everything. Someone was going through all the clips frame by frame arguing with him that it DID show Freddie with some bloke/s (?) and wasn't Mary a very important part of his life anyway?!

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Seen this site ? :

https://www.putmeinbohemian.com/#/main/home

Link was at the end of 20th Century Fox trailer at YouTube.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Broooklyn » Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 pm

SelfMadeMan wrote:Yeah, there's quite a big thing online about them ignoring his gay side.

The trailer is 1:30, what did the writer of The Guardian article, along with Bryan Fuller from the MME article want exactly? Perhaps 30 seconds devoted to having every "thump thump clap" of 'We Will Rock You' show a circle jerk of hard throbbing cocks exploding with cum on Freddie's face, so there was no "#HETWASHING (hetero-washing)" for marketing sakes? These people are ridiculous.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby CNB » Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 pm

IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext