The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:Maybe. But there are several posts this page alone in which different people apparently view Freddie surfing a crowd as some kind of affront, as opposed to the sort of cinematically appealing artistic licence that you can find in practically every biopic or historical drama ever made.

Well there's a simple and brief answer as to why some people - myself included - feel this way: we are passionate about this film.

And we know for an absolute fact that the scene in which he crowd surfs is not artistic licence (in the sense of playing around with the truth a bit to make something more dramatic, etc.) but simply because it happened during filming and they left it in. So the excuse of artistic licence cannot be applied here. This has nothing to do with artistic licence.

We shall continue to be passionate about this project regardless.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Biopics, much like biographies and memoirs, are meant to give insight into someone's character. To show them doing something which is so out of character from what we all know sticks out like a sore thumb.

Will it have me bawling and punching the person next to me? No, it won't.

It won't ruin the film for me as Rami has shown in the trailer alone that he has other mannerisms and character traits down pat already and the level of detail has mostly been fantastic so far, I have faith that I'll enjoy and be entertained by the film and I'm confident that it won't leave a bad taste in my mouth ( I'm looking at you Sex & Drugs & Rock n' Roll)But still, it just seems very...'off'.

Very true. That is the issue here: this ain't a little bit of artistic licence to help move the drama along, but something that changes Freddie's character - and that is a pretty big thing in a biopic.

And, like your good self, it won't even come close to ruining the end result for me; as you quite rightly state: Rami has it all going on, and the teaser trailer gave us a good indication that this is not going to be some crappy little pic (I mean, just take a gander at some of those reactions on YouTube - people are absolutely loving it).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby blueviolin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm

I have a memory from some music videos where Freddie is doing some kind of crowd-surfing...
moving in the hands of people. About Fat bottomed girls, I think it will not disturb... I think that a movie could be too boring if it's totally historically correct!
I find it also very prematurate to judge the movie before seeing it!

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 pm

blueviolin wrote:I have a memory from some music videos where Freddie is doing some kind of crowd-surfing...
moving in the hands of people. About Fat bottomed girls, I think it will not disturb... I think that a movie could be too boring if it's totally historically correct!
I find it also very prematurate to judge the movie before seeing it!

No, Freddie never crowd surfed on any video ever released. It never happened. And it should, therefore, not be in a film about his life, in my opinion.

I don't think any of us are judging the movie at all; we are merely stating that artistic licence is understandable and fine, but there is no need to change a person's character...otherwise, where does it end?

In fact, on the whole, most of us here are very positive and very excited about this project - hence why this thread is filled with all our posts stating as much. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:05 pm

I'm assuming that the video BlueViolin is talking about in which Freddie crowdsurfs is I Want To Break Free, during the ballet sequence.

Even so, that was for a choreographed ballet routine, which I'm sure Fred loved doing. Freddie doing such a thing spontaneously at a concert however just wasn't in his make-up.

While I'm all for Rami himself getting in the moment and doing it by his own accord, leaving it in the film as something Freddie did just isn't right. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a defamation of character but it's damn close.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby blueviolin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:I'm assuming that the video BlueViolin is talking about in which Freddie crowdsurfs is I Want To Break Free, during the ballet sequence.

Even so, that was for a choreographed ballet routine, which I'm sure Fred loved doing. Freddie doing such a thing spontaneously at a concert however just wasn't in his make-up.

While I'm all for Rami himself getting in the moment and doing it by his own accord, leaving it in the film as something Freddie did just isn't right. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a defamation of character but it's damn close.

A yes, it's in that video , I didn"t remember which one!

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:16 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Well there's a simple and brief answer as to why some people - myself included - feel this way: we are passionate about this film.

I'm passionate about Queen too.

I just don't have unrealistic expectations that this film won't contain any inaccuracies for the sake of entertainment. Because like I said - at the end of the day, it's a film, not a documentary, and films about historical figures are basically never 100% accurate, and are often wildly inaccurate.

musicalprostitute wrote:And we know for an absolute fact that the scene in which he crowd surfs is not artistic licence (in the sense of playing around with the truth a bit to make something more dramatic, etc.) but simply because it happened during filming and they left it in. So the excuse of artistic licence cannot be applied here. This has nothing to do with artistic licence.

:?:

Of course it's artistic licence. The fact it was spontaneous has no bearing on that fact at all lol. It happened, they liked it (clearly more than what they originally planned), so they left it in. It's something in the film that didn't happen in reality - that's literally the definition of artistic licence...

But anyway, this another one of those silly arguments like when some people were far more concerned with how much the lead actor looked like Freddie than whether he was any good at acting the role. I'm far more concerned with whether this is going to a good film than whether they fabricated some things to make it more entertaining, be it visually or audibly.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 pm

He kind of surfed here. If it's a crowd is debatable ;) Time: 2:45

phpBB [video]

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm

It's official...Singer gets sole credit.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indiewir ... 73848/amp/

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Lover Boy wrote:It's official...Singer gets sole credit.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indiewir ... 73848/amp/

As I have claimed he will all the time. Its the only sensible outcome.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 pm

There are some liberties that need to be taken - but others are unnecessary and add nothing.

Was it really essential to mess up a 1974 setlist? Will it really add that much to the story? Probably not. Was it essential to make Freddie crowd-surf (in his more restrained performing era of 1974, no less)? Likely not.

Some changes are expected and understandable. Others just fly in the face of necessity and reason.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

I agree FBG and Freddie crowdsurfing aren't necessary. With any luck, they'll be chopped to pieces by the final edit. I'm more bothered by Freddie finding out his illness before Live Aid. I can't think of any sources to back that up. I mean, I get it. They want drama and they want to keep Live Aid the centerpiece. That to me is more offensive than crowdsurfing though.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pingu » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:25 am

I hope the crowdsurfing ends up as an amusing DVD extra :)

Re FBG - The thing is they couldn't have picked a better song to illustrate the leather clad, 70s supergroup, cocaine and 'excess' era of Jazz/1978 (apart from maybe DSMN which is rather less on the nose). So naturally it goes on the Queen II tour, Freddie in sequins, nail polish and eyeliner, PRE Bohemian Rhapsody, what the actual f***. As a song of excess and a paean to long months on tour and the 'ladies of the road', sure, it fits perfectly with the Queen who at that point had done literally a couple of gigs outside the UK in Europe plus a shambolic one off in Australia.

I mean I'm sure there are "blue eyed floozies" in Basingstoke, but really.

STOP GETTING QUEEN WRONG/Alan Partridge
Last edited by Pingu on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:I'm assuming that the video BlueViolin is talking about in which Freddie crowdsurfs is I Want To Break Free, during the ballet sequence.

Cheers. That clears things up. Although, strictly speaking, he was hardly crowd surfing in the proper sense; but, I can see why our friend saw it as so.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am

Leigh Burne wrote:

Of course it's artistic licence. The fact it was spontaneous has no bearing on that fact at all lol. It happened, they liked it (clearly more than what they originally planned), so they left it in. It's something in the film that didn't happen in reality - that's literally the definition of artistic licence...

But anyway, this another one of those silly arguments like when some people were far more concerned with how much the lead actor looked like Freddie than whether he was any good at acting the role. I'm far more concerned with whether this is going to a good film than whether they fabricated some things to make it more entertaining, be it visually or audibly.

OK. I meant that it was not artistic licence in order to help move the drama along, etc. Because then I can accept such a thing. This was done spontaneously and - therefore - has absolutely nothing to do with the story...in other words, it wasn't a vital part of the story and artistic licence could have been avoided. Like I stated before, I get why artistic licence is sometimes employed, but in this case there was just no need.

I guess we all look at things differently. I do care how the actor looks; but I also care about the quality of the acting. And of course I want this to be a good film and do Freddie justice and I accept some things will be slightly fabricated (like Freddie's diagnosis in '85 instead of '87) because they have to be able to give a full story. I just do not want to see fabrications which are not needed and definitely fabrications which distort the character of Freddie in any way.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On