The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 am

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:There are some liberties that need to be taken - but others are unnecessary and add nothing.

Was it really essential to mess up a 1974 setlist? Will it really add that much to the story? Probably not. Was it essential to make Freddie crowd-surf (in his more restrained performing era of 1974, no less)? Likely not.

Some changes are expected and understandable. Others just fly in the face of necessity and reason.

My point exactly. We all understand that artistic licence will be applied here and there to help move the drama along, to help entertain and to help give the audience the full story of Freddie in the timeframe they are working with; but when artistic licence is not needed then they should leave well alone and stay as close to the truth as they possibly can (and the audience members who already know much of the Queen/Freddie story will respect them more for it).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am

Lover Boy wrote:I agree FBG and Freddie crowdsurfing aren't necessary. With any luck, they'll be chopped to pieces by the final edit. I'm more bothered by Freddie finding out his illness before Live Aid. I can't think of any sources to back that up. I mean, I get it. They want drama and they want to keep Live Aid the centerpiece. That to me is more offensive than crowdsurfing though.

I see where you are coming from, but I can accept the diagnosis being two years out more than the crowd surfing. To me, the diagnosis fabrication is more understandable (if they had left it out, people would have only slated them for sanitising the story) and I can not think how they could have addressed it any differently; whereas the crowd surfing actually changes the audience members' view of Freddie's character - OK, not in a big way by any means...but still.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigV » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm

This movie is going to be our Armageddon. The following comes from the IMDB trivia section for that movie:

NASA shows this film during their management training program. New managers are given the task of trying to spot as many errors as possible. At least one hundred sixty-eight have been found.

No matter how much they try to defend the FBG thing, hiding behind "creative licence", the fact is that they just screwed up, and don't want to admit it. I can understand the time-shift of the diagnosis for dramatic purposes, but FBG in the early 70s and Freddie crowdsurfing (which I don't think he's ever done) is just sloppy.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

People don't go to the cinema for hard fact, they go to be entertained.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Queen's chronological body of work, built up over their career and in hindsight, tells a story of time, space and meaning. Considering they are four song writers and all are remarkably eclectic and adaptive, their albums are extraordinarily coherent. We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions are literally two sides of the same disc, and so are Fat Bottomed Girls and Bicycle Race. It is impossible to understand any creative, cinematic justification for taking a "decadent" 1978-tax exile-cocaine-on-dwarf's-head Jazz track and moving it to an entirely anachronistic place where it doesn't belong. If any Queen fan watching the film became a fan of the band in 1978 because of Jazz they are going to be seething if FBG is in the wrong place. It's totally unnecessary cognitive dissonance that serves no dramatic function any of us can presently fathom.

The stage dive IS dramatic license. For better or worse. (I think worse for reasons stated by others but there's nothing wrong with it as a piece of cinema), but it's bullshit to say it was improvised. That shot would have to be blocked, lit, rehearsed and shot multiple times. The trailer is GREAT, but some of these unnecessary changes we know about from a scant 90 seconds (plus stills), is concerning for what other "clangers" we're gonna have to swallow for no apparent benefit to the cinematic representation of one of the most OTT bands of all time.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:48 pm

There is great "improvisation" in The Usual Suspects, (Bryan Singer), such as the cast laughing in the line up and the cigarette flicked in to the guy's face, (both unscripted and unintended) but they occur within preplanned shots requiring no especial change of camera movement or lighting. Singer (presumably Singer) knew full well Freddie never stage dived and has chosen to add it for dramatic license.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:People don't go to the cinema for hard fact, they go to be entertained.

But I would suggest that when going to see a biopic on a very famous person they go for both reasons.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Peace Loving Guy wrote:
The stage dive IS dramatic license. For better or worse. (I think worse for reasons stated by others but there's nothing wrong with it as a piece of cinema), but it's bullshit to say it was improvised. That shot would have to be blocked, lit, rehearsed and shot multiple times.

Well, we can only go by what Mr Freestone has stated - and I do not see any reason for him to lie; I mean, he even went into detail about how much trouble Rami got into with health and safety because he was not supposed to do it. Now, I can imagine someone from Fox studios lying to cover up a silly mistake, but I just cannot believe Phoebe would have any reason whatsoever (and I have always found him a very honest and respectful type).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 pm

It bums me out that 1978-1980 seems to be largely ignored. As Phoebe states, they didn't do anything for the Jazz era as "not much was happening at the time" but I strongly disagree.

That was when Freddie's separatism from the band really began to rear its head, big time. This was around when Paul Prenter entered into Freddie's life, too. How could the just not show the Jazz-The Game era?

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Zak Royen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Ever since that movie project was announced, many years ago, I have felt the end product was bound to disappoint us fans. We're not meant to find the experience enjoyable because we know Queen and Freddie too well. When we see the movie, we won't be able to stop thinking "that's not the way it happened", "Freddie wouldn't have said that", etc. It just cannot be faithful enough, anyway... and now we know it won't even try to be faithful.

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am

musicalprostitute wrote:But I would suggest that when going to see a biopic on a very famous person they go for both reasons.

The example I already gave of Braveheart, which is 80% total bullshit and was massively successful, says otherwise.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:But I would suggest that when going to see a biopic on a very famous person they go for both reasons.

The example I already gave of Braveheart, which is 80% total bullshit and was massively successful, says otherwise.

I don't think so.

Just because a biopic is successful does not mean that audience members only want to be entertained. Also, Gibson was its main star - and he was about as big as it gets back then (I am sure many film fans watch anything Tom Cruise is in too). So that argument does not stand.

One only has to look at the YouTube trailer reviews to get a general feel of what the masses want: and many of them have stated the same thing over and over - it's about the music and its about wanting to know more about the story of Freddie and Queen.

As I said, I think most film goers view a biopic to learn more about the main character and to be entertained - I cannot imagine anyone wanting to watch, say, Walk The Line, just because they wish to be entertained...no, they want to know more about the person being depicted on the big screen. But that's just beyond obvious.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:12 pm

The other day I actually got the trailer as one of those YouTube ads that plays before the video you're trying to watch. Probably the first time (in a long time, at least) that I didn't click "Skip Ad"!

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:07 am

Although Freddie might have turned into a bit of a coke head, I don't think Brian ever did. As Fat Bottomed Girls was written by Brian and not Freddie, I'm not sure how the train of thought crept in.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:

I don't think so.

Just because a biopic is successful does not mean that audience members only want to be entertained. Also, Gibson was its main star - and he was about as big as it gets back then (I am sure many film fans watch anything Tom Cruise is in too). So that argument does not stand.

One only has to look at the YouTube trailer reviews to get a general feel of what the masses want: and many of them have stated the same thing over and over - it's about the music and its about wanting to know more about the story of Freddie and Queen.

As I said, I think most film goers view a biopic to learn more about the main character and to be entertained - I cannot imagine anyone wanting to watch, say, Walk The Line, just because they wish to be entertained...no, they want to know more about the person being depicted on the big screen. But that's just beyond obvious.

Walk the Line and Ray were excellent biopic as they dealt with the demons that plagued Cash and Charles, making them an integral part of the story.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On