The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby icy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 am

I can't say I was a big Ray Charles fan. Walk The Line is my favorite biopic ever. A good example of how it should be done, IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV0kaLsiRzE

Just a short clip from the CineEurope event the other day. As stated on this website, Brian and Roger turned up alongside Rami and producer Graham King (as well as Mr Beach). This clip does not show any of them (sad face), rather just a short dance presentation for the film...

...but the interesting - albeit brief - bit is the screen in the background: one can see footage not yet released.

Like I say, not much to get excited over, but still nice to see another bit of footage (no matter how grainy and brief!).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm

You beat me to it! Lol

That movie footage was pretty cool. Thought the actors looked great...all the mannerisms were spot on.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Lover Boy wrote:You beat me to it! Lol

That movie footage was pretty cool. Thought the actors looked great...all the mannerisms were spot on.

:P

Yes, I agree; from the little you can make out, they all looked great.

Surely we must nearly be due the first proper trailer. It cannot be too far away.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Another thing that strikes me about this project is just how passionate all the big players are about it: Graham King has been sitting on this for about ten years, never giving up his vision; Rami does nothing but praise and respect Freddie and Queen (Gwilym and Joe have made some nice posts too); Bryan Singer spoke of how much he wanted to honour their legacy (and from the footage we have already seen he seems to have done his best); obviously Brian and Roger are about as passionate and as on board as they possibly can be; and I remember reading various tweets around the time the film wrapped up from other film crew members (make up, etc.) saying what a truly wonderful experience the whole thing was...

...all this fills me with much hope.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Careful though. The only way after up is down. ;)

I find myself feeling super excited every day for this film. I haven't felt this way about a Queen release probably since The Cosmos Rocks. And when that happened I was sadly disappointed with the end result. So I need to remind myself to tread carefully. I'm optimistic, yes, but I don't want to build it so much in my head that nothing I see will satisfy me. And there are times I feel as though I already crossed that line.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Careful though. The only way after up is down. ;)

I find myself feeling super excited every day for this film. I haven't felt this way about a Queen release probably since The Cosmos Rocks. And when that happened I was sadly disappointed with the end result. So I need to remind myself to tread carefully. I'm optimistic, yes, but I don't want to build it so much in my head that nothing I see will satisfy me. And there are times I feel as though I already crossed that line.

Fuck it! :P How many times as a Queen fan do we ever really get excited these days? If we cannot allow ourselves to now then what's the point? I say embrace your excitement...

...let me qualify the above by stating that if this film lets me down I only have myself to blame!

And, Christ, I bet you were more than disappointed when you heard The Cosmos Rocks (what a depressing time that was to be a Queen fan).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

It was great to see some new footage. And to hear Graham King praising Malek and the movie is an extremely good sign. Hopefully we will see a trailer that reveals more of the story soon. Would be great to hear more conversation and stuff.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peavy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Fuck it! :P How many times as a Queen fan do we ever really get excited these days? If we cannot allow ourselves to now then what's the point? I say embrace your excitement...

...let me qualify the above by stating that if this film lets me down I only have myself to blame!

And, Christ, I bet you were more than disappointed when you heard The Cosmos Rocks (what a depressing time that was to be a Queen fan).

I agree. I'm also looking forward to it - besides the concert next week there is very less I can still look forward to as a Queen fan. I'm also hoping for a good making of documentary on the Blu-ray release next year...could be quite interesting and Brian and Roger would be for sure involved.

As for "The Cosmos Rocks"...this one is still on my to-do-list...never managed to get past track3 somehow... :D

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Peavy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Fuck it! :P How many times as a Queen fan do we ever really get excited these days? If we cannot allow ourselves to now then what's the point? I say embrace your excitement...

As for "The Cosmos Rocks"...this one is still on my to-do-list...never managed to get past track3 somehow... :D

I really don't blame you. I made it past track 3 and regretted it ever afterwards. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Frank » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:40 pm

To be fair, I think Small and Say It's Not True are pretty good songs. The rest aren't memorable.

We're so off topic now. We need another trailer to get us back on track.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm

The first time they showed new clips from the movie was at Cinemacon. Then we got the trailer two weeks later. Now they showed some new footage at CineEurope. Can we expect a new trailer within this month? Hopefully! :)

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peavy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 am

It's still 5 months until the movie...we can be glad to have gotten a teaser that early. It's still a long time and we'll have to be patient.
I thought it was interesting that Brian said in that interview recently there are still little things to fix. I expected the usual "everything is as we ever imagined, it's a great, great movie". A making of on the Blu-ray later should be really interesting.

I hope they plan on releasing something quite soon, since the movie will rise the interest in Queen products. And of course I don't mean the soundtrack or another compilation, something interesting would be really nice again. If only releasing the "Rock The World" documentary seperately...and hopefully with more material.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am

Peavy wrote:As for "The Cosmos Rocks"...this one is still on my to-do-list...never managed to get past track3 somehow... :D

Put it on shuffle. It makes for a better listening experience.

I actually gave the album another spin lately, and while I still think the only really worthwhile Queen(+) song on it is "Say It's Not True", a couple of the Paul-penned tracks sit quite nicely alongside his back catalogue, which I've also been through recently.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Nothing too exciting, alas...but better than nothing:

https://twitter.com/lilybop2010/status/1006302109590081537/photo/1

Just a photo from the Bohemian Rhapsody exhibition in Barcelona few days back. You can clearly see the costumes from the film and a couple of pictures in the background.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On