The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:37 pm

You might be onto something. After all, it's been almost a month and a half since the first trailer dropped. I'd be surprised if we don't see it by 2 months.

By the way, I've gone to Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (twice) and Deadpool 2, and with each viewing they showed the trailer. Each time I hear murmurings among the audience with excitement. When it happens I tend not to watch the trailer itself, and just observe my surroundings. It's great seeing excitement from the general public. I've also seen huge posters hanging up in theaters with that cheesy "Fearless Lives Forever" tagline. It's so unreal to see a Queen movie at theaters. Lol

Also, I'm on vacation in Clearwater, Florida...and some homeless guy saw my Queen shirt and asked if the movie was out yet. Word has spread far and wide, I guess.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Lover Boy wrote:
...By the way, I've gone to Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (twice) and Deadpool 2, and with each viewing they showed the trailer. Each time I hear murmurings among the audience with excitement. When it happens I tend not to watch the trailer itself, and just observe my surroundings. It's great seeing excitement from the general public. I've also seen huge posters hanging up in theaters with that cheesy "Fearless Lives Forever" tagline. It's so unreal to see a Queen movie at theaters. Lol...

It's the same here in the UK regarding the trailer. I know of at least a couple of people who have seen the trailer at the cinema and both stated it went down a storm.

I honestly think that they are on to a good thing by not giving us any more footage at the moment. I know that sounds quite absurd, as I am always banging on about when the next clip is going to be shown...but, away from my own selfish wants, the fact that it has gone rather quiet after the teaser trailer means that people will hunger for more; and I would much rather that than overkill - in which they could have released many clips but lost the general excitement of it all...

...just don't leave it too long, Fox folk. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:10 pm

The trailer blew me away all over again when I saw it before Solo, it looks and sounds like a perfect fit for the big screen and I must admit I was looking at my phone as this other trailer was playing (something about super powered teens, I dunno) then:

"AAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY-O!"
:shock: :lol:

I'm not usually one to react much to trailers (in public) , but a piercing excited "Ooooh!" may have emitted from the Birmingham Odeon that day. :oops:

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:19 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:
I'm not usually one to react much to trailers (in public) , but a piercing excited "Ooooh!" may have emitted from the Birmingham Odeon that day. :oops:

I do hope you pronounced that 'ooooh!' in the most campest way possible.

Related news: just watched the short Jim Beach interview in which he talks about the film. He states that Cohen was full of shit (well, words to that effect!) and that they have only recently been shooting around London. He also said that Roger and Brian were very much involved and that they were the ones who green-lighted Rami (I think that's what he stated, but I may have to check again later). Interesting.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Pingu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
VaudevilleDeMille wrote:

I do hope you pronounced that 'ooooh!' in the most campest way possible.

Related news: just watched the short Jim Beach interview in which he talks about the film. He states that Cohen was full of shit (well, words to that effect!) and that they have only recently been shooting around London. He also said that Roger and Brian were very much involved and that they were the ones who green-lighted Rami (I think that's what he stated, but I may have to check again later). Interesting.

Here 'tis

phpBB [video]

I swear Jim Beach looks more like Kevin Rowland (Dexy's) every day :)

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Pingu wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Here 'tis

phpBB [video]

I swear Jim Beach looks more like Kevin Rowland (Dexy's) every day :)

Cheers Pingu. I was just getting around to putting the link up.

And, boy, are you right about Jim turning into Kevin Rowland. Well spotted. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 pm

phpBB [video]

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Anyone going to submit their voice for the movie? I'm considering it, though I'm a bit shy about it.

Btw, it's been confirmed on IMBd that Mike Myers plays "Ray Foster." Obviously he's a guy with EMI who makes important decisions, but I don't recognize the name. Anyone care to enlighten?

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby AlexKx » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm really excited about this shit! I've seen the "preview" (why in the hell has the world been calling the "trailers" the past twenty years?!) in the theater and unfortunately I let a good laugh out of pure excitement and adrenaline and am afraid it was taken wrong but no worries I don't think anyone cared! I also have seen a big old display across from some "Whitney" film one as well at the theater...

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 pm

So it seems that Gwilym, Joe and Ben reunited last week for some pickup shots for the movie. No news of Rami though.

On a relevant note, I hope Joe Mazzello is bearing up after the tragic loss of his father. I am sure I speak on behalf of Queen fans across the globe by saying that we all send our love.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Interesting that Rami isn't there, is it a scheduling conflict d'ya think?Given how positive he's been about the film I can't think it'd be any other reason.

Yeah, sad to hear about JM's dad. Especially at this time where I think JM's performace (by looks alone) will wag a few tongues.

Back to the film itself, after finally getting Solo(the 3 disc version), I've come to really love Mr. Bad Guy and I'm kicking myself for not tracking it down sooner.

I'm curious to see that period in Freddie's life recreated. You can tell he absolutely adored the album at the time and had a lot of fun with it so it'll be interesting to see the contrast between Fred's enthusiasm and the cold critical response for a record that IMO, was unfairly (but I CAN see why to some extent) overlooked.

We know that Freddie will walk past a record shop and see the album discounted in the window with 'Greatest Hits' overshadowing it but what else?

Only time will tell.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:10 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Interesting that Rami isn't there, is it a scheduling conflict d'ya think?Given how positive he's been about the film I can't think it'd be any other reason.

Yeah, sad to hear about JM's dad. Especially at this time where I think JM's performace (by looks alone) will wag a few tongues.

Back to the film itself, after finally getting Solo(the 3 disc version), I've come to really love Mr. Bad Guy and I'm kicking myself for not tracking it down sooner.

I'm curious to see that period in Freddie's life recreated. You can tell he absolutely adored the album at the time and had a lot of fun with it so it'll be interesting to see the contrast between Fred's enthusiasm and the cold critical response for a record that IMO, was unfairly (but I CAN see why to some extent) overlooked.

We know that Freddie will walk past a record shop and see the album discounted in the window with 'Greatest Hits' overshadowing it but what else?

Only time will tell.

I don't know why Rami wasn't there. Maybe the boys were just filming a few small shots in which he was not needed.

I think there are some wonderful tracks on MBG. It is just all let down by shoddy production and cheap-sounding synths. From what I have read, Freddie was balls-deep in that project until he got hooked on Mrs Caballe and then I think he got bored with it all and wanted to dive head first into a project with her. And it really goes to show that although Freddie was an absolute genius, he really was not one for staying on at the studio after all was done - unlike Brian, who would invariably be the one perfecting things after the tracks were laid down. I would adore a remastered version of this album, with genuine orchestra backing where needed too.

So you bought Solo? Nice collection. My favourite Freddie solo product is the box set from 2000; there are some beautiful moments on there (especially the outtakes from MBG and Barcelona).

I might have to go and blast out a bit of Man-Made Paradise (Jesus, I love the dramatic end to that song!).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Pingu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Mr Bad Guy is a funny one, although you can tell Freddie worked hard on it. I'm sure Mack said something along the lines of Freddie would turn up in the morning (or afternoon?!), and try to more or less write a song a day. And if it wasn't coming within a couple of hours he'd disappear or do something else. With some tracks on the album you can feel that, I think, although a few are more involved.

So I do wonder if this carried over into the production side of things. I suppose having spent so much time with Queen in the studio, especially with something as laborious (and ultimately disappointing) as Hot Space, Freddie was keen for MBG to be a bit fresher and mpore spontaneous.It certainly feels a lot lighter than the previous Queen albums and a lot is down to the lack of 'Rock Band' feel which let's face it, Freddie had done plenty of already.

Bit long winded, sorry. Suppose I'm saying it was a combination of 'get it while it's hot' and a need to get away from the usual Queen sound and arrangements (despite a bit of cheeky pastiche).

The Montse thing is interesting but I think it's too glib to say he's instantly had enough of MBG just because he played someone a tape. He'd been into opera and ballet for years, it took nearly another two years for Freddie to work with Montse and even when MBG was released Fred was hinting in interviews that he wanted it to do better than The Works.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Pingu wrote:...

The Montse thing is interesting but I think it's too glib to say he's instantly had enough of MBG just because he played someone a tape. He'd been into opera and ballet for years, it took nearly another two years for Freddie to work with Montse and even when MBG was released Fred was hinting in interviews that he wanted it to do better than The Works.

I only stated that because I saw it mentioned in an interview with one of the Queen guys (for the life of me, I cannot now remember who); I just recall whoever this was (and I shall dig a little deeper when I have the time to find the relevant source) stating that Freddie got bored with the MBG recordings after discovering M. Caballe - hence why he didn't seem to care for the production values, etc.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DANAIR737 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Pingu wrote:...

I only stated that because I saw it mentioned in an interview with one of the Queen guys (for the life of me, I cannot now remember who); I just recall whoever this was (and I shall dig a little deeper when I have the time to find the relevant source) stating that Freddie got bored with the MBG recordings after discovering M. Caballe - hence why he didn't seem to care for the production values, etc.

I think Jim Beach stated that in the FM Great Pretender doc. Freddie made him listen to "the most beautiful voice in the world" and stated that he wanted to sing with her. But I could be wrong, I'm good at that, lol!

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On