The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:57 am

DANAIR737 wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Pingu wrote:...

The Montse thing is interesting but I think it's too glib to say he's instantly had enough of MBG just because he played someone a tape. He'd been into opera and ballet for years, it took nearly another two years for Freddie to work with Montse and even when MBG was released Fred was hinting in interviews that he wanted it to do better than The Works.

I only stated that because I saw it mentioned in an interview with one of the Queen guys (for the life of me, I cannot now remember who); I just recall whoever this was (and I shall dig a little deeper when I have the time to find the relevant source) stating that Freddie got bored with the MBG recordings after discovering M. Caballe - hence why he didn't seem to care for the production values, etc.

I think Jim Beach stated that in the FM Great Pretender doc. Freddie made him listen to "the most beautiful voice in the world" and stated that he wanted to sing with her. But I could be wrong, I'm good at that, lol!

Yes, it was Jim Beach. I remember him saying that in The Great Pretender as well.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Welshqueenfan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:25 am

I dont think freddie got bored of mr bad guy, i think he was too busy partying and didnt put as much effort into the album cos he didnt have guys like brian and roger forcing him to be perfect. I think he didnt realise how much hard work it was recording and writing on his own without the queen guys, hence a poor sounding album, dont get me wrong, some of the songs are really good, which roger and brian queened up for made in heaven, but some of the songs are poor with awful synths.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 am

Welshqueenfan wrote:i think he was too busy partying and didnt put as much effort into the album.

This is my main issue with 1980-1986 Freddie Mercury, in general. Freddie in this era doesn't sit too well with me.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:54 am

Yeah I'm sure the Montse tape thing happened, I remember seeing the clip myself. Just that it's become one of those accepted wisdoms that MBG was disappointing because Freddie lost interest and wanted to do opera instead.

Two things that people often focus on with MBG are the keyboard and drum machine sounds.

If you're in the UK and have caught the BBC4 Top of the Pops re-runs from 1985, you can hear exactly what pop records sounded like in 85, and most of them sound a LOT like Mr Bad Guy. Bass-light synths and drum machines, not to say dance floor-friendly pop, were absolutely par for the course. We always compare MBG to The Works and Magic but as I've said before, Freddie was deliberately getting AWAY from the Queen/band sound. IMO it was a deliberate choice in terms of sound and arrangements, not neccessarily a reflection of Freddie getting bored and Mack deciding to put out any old rubbish.

And don't forget Freddie got a higher advance from CBS than Queen did from their company in the US. There were big, big hopes for this album and again, Freddie was hinting that he wanted it to beat The Works sales wise.

Sorry to go so off topic. I just don't trust certain of the oft-trotted out Queen Narratives like this one that seem to have rather a convenient get out clause attached. "Mr Bad Guy was a flop because Freddie got into opera and couldn't be bothered, now let's talk about the big hit (cough cough two and a half years later), Barcelona". No, Mr Bad Guy was a flop because the songs were underdeveloped, the arrangements were unadventurous, the Queen audience missed the heavy stuff, and the attention to detail and artistic wrangling that caused so much friction for Queen (and that Freddie was clearly keen to avoid with his 'a song a day' approach) were also a big part of their success.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:23 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:
I think Jim Beach stated that in the FM Great Pretender doc. Freddie made him listen to "the most beautiful voice in the world" and stated that he wanted to sing with her. But I could be wrong, I'm good at that, lol!

Cheers for that! I kind of recall that interview. But the one I am thinking about was far more recent...I'll have to do some digging!

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby DANAIR737 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
DANAIR737 wrote:

Cheers for that! I kind of recall that interview. But the one I am thinking about was far more recent...I'll have to do some digging!

Yeah, if you come across it again let us know!

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Apparently Brian animated the audience at today’s gig in the O2 London to an additional“ stomp-stomp-clap“, that will be put into the film (Brian said so). Someone posted about it on twitter. In the link is a short video. Maybe someone, who was there, can explain more later.
http://twitter.com/adamlambertswe/statu ... 80673?s=21

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Nicki79 wrote:Apparently Brian animated the audience at today’s gig in the O2 London to an additional“ stomp-stomp-clap“, that will be put into the film (Brian said so). Someone posted about it on twitter. In the link is a short video. Maybe someone, who was there, can explain more later.
http://twitter.com/adamlambertswe/statu ... 80673?s=21

Cheers for that, Nicki! :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Pingu » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

I'm actually delighted that Brian has finally got the audience to do it the way he originally envisaged it!

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:08 pm

https://www.carltonbooks.co.uk/bohemian-rhapsody-pb.html

Yep, I shall be adding this to my Christmas stocking for sure; it looks like a right interesting read.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lover Boy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, MP. I'll definitely be ordering it...though probably not until after I see the movie...though it will be hard to resist. I just don't want to spoil the movie too much.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby cmsdrums » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:47 am

Interesting that the sample pages on the Carlton link give Dexter Fletcher as the director....bur wasn’t there recently a clear statement that it willl be credited to Bryan Singer?

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, MP. I'll definitely be ordering it...though probably not until after I see the movie...though it will be hard to resist. I just don't want to spoil the movie too much.

Oh, there is no way I would want to read any of this until after seeing the movie. Fuck that. I'll wait until Christmas - easy little present for the other half to please me with.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:22 pm

cmsdrums wrote:Interesting that the sample pages on the Carlton link give Dexter Fletcher as the director....bur wasn’t there recently a clear statement that it willl be credited to Bryan Singer?

Hmmm...I noticed that too. Maybe there is still some legal arguing going on in the background with Singer. Fuck knows.

Looks like a good read though...well, for those of us interested in the film.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm

I am getting bored now. I want a longer trailer with more dialogue NOW. ;)

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On