The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby hardwired » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:07 pm

"Brian" is the best of them all. Also the voice

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Khashoggi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:33 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:I thought this was quite interesting...

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... ic-696188/

“We felt there was no need to go up to his death,” says King. “We didn’t want to go that dark. What we did want to do was really do get into the underbelly of Queen and how they worked together and how they put these amazing library of songs together.”

Okay, so this seems to be a straight message. They don't go up to his death in this movie. Does that mean they simply don't portray his last few days, or does this also mean they don't show any stuff from the Innuendo-era (recording TSMGO for example), or even the last sessions of what would become the last Freddie-tracks that would end up on "Made In Heaven"?
Personally I think it would be a true waste if they wouldn't even touch on that era. He was so brave and strong, his music was his life (so many people claim that), but with Freddie it was really true. He worked until he died, he gave everything for his work and therefore for his fans. I just think they can't release a movie without telling that so very important part of his story. What do you guys think??
Yes, King says he wants to show how they worked together. But: Even all four members of the group have stated about that time (88-91) - They've never worked so well together before, they felt like a family. They needed to stand even closer together, because of Freddie's illness and the fact they simply didn't have much time left. So yeah, if they really only tell their story from the early seventies until Live Aid - that would be a joke.

And please don't say anything about a sequel. That shouldn't and won't happen. THIS movie is the only chance to tell the real story, I just hope they haven't messed it up.
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Khashoggi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:37 pm

2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Freddies Mic Stand » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:38 pm

That is Brian fuckin May. I don’t care what anyone says. Brian developed a time machine to convince young Brian to be in this movie.

Freddies Mic Stand
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Khashoggi wrote:

“We felt there was no need to go up to his death,” says King. “We didn’t want to go that dark. What we did want to do was really do get into the underbelly of Queen and how they worked together and how they put these amazing library of songs together.”

Okay, so this seems to be a straight message. They don't go up to his death in this movie. Does that mean they simply don't portray his last few days, or does this also mean they don't show any stuff from the Innuendo-era (recording TSMGO for example), or even the last sessions of what would become the last Freddie-tracks that would end up on "Made In Heaven"?
Personally I think it would be a true waste if they wouldn't even touch on that era. He was so brave and strong, his music was his life (so many people claim that), but with Freddie it was really true. He worked until he died, he gave everything for his work and therefore for his fans. I just think they can't release a movie without telling that so very important part of his story. What do you guys think??
Yes, King says he wants to show how they worked together. But: Even all four members of the group have stated about that time (88-91) - They've never worked so well together before, they felt like a family. They needed to stand even closer together, because of Freddie's illness and the fact they simply didn't have much time left. So yeah, if they really only tell their story from the early seventies until Live Aid - that would be a joke.

And please don't say anything about a sequel. That shouldn't and won't happen. THIS movie is the only chance to tell the real story, I just hope they haven't messed it up.

Well said. :bigups:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 am

I think they will touch on it but only in a montage type format. It will END at Live Aid and then they will do a montage of him working as he starts getting ill

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby devogue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:02 am

Freddies Mic Stand wrote:

That is Brian fuckin May. I don’t care what anyone says. Brian developed a time machine to convince young Brian to be in this movie.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlOVKZNhy3s/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=nisz2txlat7z

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:51 am

Khashoggi wrote:

Yeah, a sequel wouldn't work. Clearly, this is their only chance to get it right. And believe me, I share your concern for the story. I want to see Freddie's final years in the film as well. He had so much courage it's hard to fathom. As you said, he lived and breathed music. And he did it for his fans. It's a story worth telling!

But as Phoebe said in that Q&A session a little while back, you've only got 2 hours to tell 45 years of rock history. And frankly, there is a part of me that wouldn't want to see my hero dying on the big screen. I can't even get through The Untold Story without crying my bloody eyes out. It's too heartbreaking.

So I guess I can live with it if they don't get into the 87-91 era. I'm sure there are ways they can touch on it without actually going there. Hopefully it's not a cheesy screen-goes-to-black with the statement "Freddie Mercury passed away on November 24, 1991."

I've always thought it might be good to have Freddie recording something like The Show Must Go...maybe him going out to look at the lake, talking to a friend, maybe Mary or Jim, and reflecting on his amazing journey and coming to terms with his death. But that's just me. I'm sure there's a dozen other ways you could approach it without getting into too much detail.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby icy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 am

:mouth: Even has Brian's smile! And it's not looking fake.
I can't say the characters of Roger and John look very much like they are supposed to, but it's incredible about how they did it for Freddie and Brian.

Freddie's courage and determination should be a part of this biopic. I don't know how and why it was decided to leave such an important part of Freddie's life out.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Another_Roger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 am

As much as I look up to Freddie for what he did in his final years I am not sure if they should spend too much time on it in this movie. Freddie didn't want sympathy, and he did not want to be looked upon as a tragic figure. Don't misunderstand me. His courage when he was at his sickest was just incredible. My impression though is that they want to make a movie that is a celebration of their music, and they want it to be uplifting and entertaining. If they did make a big point of this it would be much pain, suffering, bed, hospital, medication etc. I like the movie to end on a high. I would hate to go out of the theater sad. Queen is everything but sad to me except the tragic disease Freddie had to go through. I can totally see that it could be a lost opportunity to not touch on it, because it did really show the strength of the man.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 am

Another_Roger wrote:As much as I look up to Freddie for what he did in his final years I am not sure if they should spend too much time on it in this movie. Freddie didn't want sympathy, and he did not want to be looked upon as a tragic figure. Don't misunderstand me. His courage when he was at his sickest was just incredible. My impression though is that they want to make a movie that is a celebration of their music, and they want it to be uplifting and entertaining. If they did make a big point of this it would be much pain, suffering, bed, hospital, medication etc. I like the movie to end on a high. I would hate to go out of the theater sad. Queen is everything but sad to me except the tragic disease Freddie had to go through. I can totally see that it could be a lost opportunity to not touch on it, because it did really show the strength of the man.

Agreed!

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 am

I too agree that ending the film at Live Aid is the best choice because although the story of the band was far from over, it shows them at one of their highest points and heck, it's always good to end on a high.

In other news, I shall be prowling Instragram and Twitter during work breaks today to keep my beady eyes out for that 2nd trailer on the horizon.

And as a footnote, I think JM is the pretty much the absolute spit of Deacon,how some people are failing to see that is beyond me. Even the body language is spot on.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 am

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:I too agree that ending the film at Live Aid is the best choice because although the story of the band was far from over, it shows them at one of their highest points and heck, it's always good to end on a high.

In other news, I shall be prowling Instragram and Twitter during work breaks today to keep my beady eyes out for that 2nd trailer on the horizon.

And as a footnote, I think JM is the pretty much the absolute spit of Deacon,how some people are failing to see that is beyond me. Even the body language is spot on.

Nobody unfortunately can be like John,Roger, Freddie, Brian on 100 percent It's just impossible.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 am

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:I too agree that ending the film at Live Aid is the best choice because although the story of the band was far from over, it shows them at one of their highest points and heck, it's always good to end on a high.

Thing is, as we all know so much happened after Live Aid. Things that I feel are just as important for the band as Live Aid was. I'd love to see the brotherhood between the guys from AKOM on.
If you do see anything while looking, please post it.
I don't think John's hair was ever that thick in the photo that was linked to a few posts ago. I couldn't help but notice it. The character of Roger has an even worse wig.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 am

WiseMan wrote:
Nobody unfortunately can be like John,Roger, Freddie, Brian on 100 percent It's just impossible.

True, but IMO the likeness is better than people are saying it is. But you're right, n-one can be expected to emulate the band 100 %

icy wrote:Thing is, as we all know so much happened after Live Aid. Things that I feel are just as important for the band as Live Aid was. I'd love to see the brotherhood between the guys from AKOM on.
If you do see anything while looking, please post it.
I don't think John's hair was ever that thick in the photo that was linked to a few posts ago. I couldn't help but notice it. The character of Roger has an even worse wig.

And I agree with you Icy , I would've loved to have seen AKOM, Wembley '86, Montserrat, Miracle et al covered in the film, mainly because on a personal level AKOM was the first proper Queen Album I heard in full as a kid on a Cassette tape so to see that period recreated on film would've been magical.

But on the other hand, I still feel that although there was so much more to be covered, Live Aid was the 'safer' option. Maybe 'too safe'.

I'm in two minds about this now, can you tell? :p

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On