The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:51 am

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:
WiseMan wrote:
Nobody unfortunately can be like John,Roger, Freddie, Brian on 100 percent It's just impossible.

True, but IMO the likeness is better than people are saying it is. But you're right, n-one can be expected to emulate the band 100 %

And I agree with you Icy , I would've loved to have seen AKOM, Wembley '86, Montserrat, Miracle et al covered in the film, mainly because on a personal level AKOM was the first proper Queen Album I heard in full as a kid on a Cassette tape so to see that period recreated on film would've been magical.

But on the other hand, I still feel that although there was so much more to be covered, Live Aid was the 'safer' option. Maybe 'too safe'.

I'm in two minds about this now, can you tell? :p

How do you think why we will not see 1986-1991 ?
Duration time limit more than 4 hours?
They do not want to show how Freddie got AIDS because they do not know?
Or they consider this period of their career not the most productive.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 am

We know that we won't see '86-'91 because it was confirmed in the Rolling Stone article a few pages back.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:We know that we won't see '86-'91 because it was confirmed in the Rolling Stone article a few pages back.

Can you show this article?

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

If this is mainly Freddie's story more than Queen's (Which they have publicly claimed is so), I do think it might have been nice to extend to Barcelona, and see him hit a new creative high in a totally new and unfamiliar and unexpected artistic area.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Welshqueenfan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 am

I would have thought the film would end after live aid in the wembley shows in the yellow jacket and kind of magic blasting, but if its more convenient for hollywood to end on live aid then so be it. just a shame we miss out the magic tour and all albums after it.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am

Welshqueenfan wrote:I would have thought the film would end after live aid in the wembley shows in the yellow jacket and kind of magic blasting, but if its more convenient for hollywood to end on live aid then so be it. just a shame we miss out the magic tour and all albums after it.

Do you think in the film will be show how did the band record songs?

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am

It seems to me, only it seems that this is the right way and the decision not to show the group until the death of the soloist, especially his suffering from the disease.I think that this will not work and Malek is unlikely to be able to show the moral and physical suffering of Freddie, who was tormented by this disease.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 pm

“Sacha was never officially attached to this project,” King says. “I never thought Freddie could be played by a white actor. And there was never a script where Freddie Mercury dies halfway through the movie. Never. I kept my mouth shut through that whole thing, but I’ll go official on that now."

^As per that, sorry - but I still honestly believe Sacha Baron Cohen at least a bit when he says that plans (at the time he was involved) had something to do with showing how the band carried on halfway or near the end of the film.

Baron (according to Brian May himself) was officially attached for quite a time via contract. Wasn't King even quoted as saying so at one point?

Either way, King says there was never a script that followed that direction for the film. That does not mean that for a long time during the film's pre-production that this couldn't have been the initial concept floating around with Queen/Fox and Co. regarding the ground covered in this film.

What Baron said sounds too much like modern day May/Taylor to me to have been made up. Brian May also frequently uses the "strength to strength" phrase when describing Queen post-Freddie, which Baron used when he talked about what he was told.

It would just seem so Brian and Roger of them to consider making that kind of film. Especially how it could help promote what they've been currently up to.

Sorry, King. But I'm not buying it. I don't see why Sacha would lie about it if he knew his being proven wrong would be inevitable in the form of a full, freaking motion picture. The fact that he left the project ensured he has enough dirt to dish without manufacturing it all.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 pm

As per Bohemian Rhapshody's official Twitter post over 10 minutes ago - a NEW FULL TRAILER IS ON THE WAY FOR TOMORROW.

JULY 17th - NEW TRAILER! :onfire:

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:As per Bohemian Rhapshody's official Twitter post over 10 minutes ago - a NEW FULL TRAILER IS ON THE WAY FOR TOMORROW.

JULY 17th - NEW TRAILER! :onfire:

It is great isn't it?

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Nah, I'll make a bet we see it on Tuesday. The first trailer was released on a Tuesday as well.

You psychic fuck! :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Lover Boy wrote:Nah, I'll make a bet we see it on Tuesday. The first trailer was released on a Tuesday as well.

Definitely my guess, too. Everything comes out on Tuesdays, it seems. Not too busy of a day like Monday but still early in the week to be relevant for the rest of the week's discussions.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:40 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Definitely my guess, too. Everything comes out on Tuesdays, it seems. Not too busy of a day like Monday but still early in the week to be relevant for the rest of the week's discussions.

Oh, I like discussions!

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Khashoggi wrote:
“We felt there was no need to go up to his death,” says King. “We didn’t want to go that dark. What we did want to do was really do get into the underbelly of Queen and how they worked together and how they put these amazing library of songs together.”

Okay, so this seems to be a straight message. They don't go up to his death in this movie. Does that mean they simply don't portray his last few days, or does this also mean they don't show any stuff from the Innuendo-era (recording TSMGO for example), or even the last sessions of what would become the last Freddie-tracks that would end up on "Made In Heaven"?
Personally I think it would be a true waste if they wouldn't even touch on that era. He was so brave and strong, his music was his life (so many people claim that), but with Freddie it was really true. He worked until he died, he gave everything for his work and therefore for his fans. I just think they can't release a movie without telling that so very important part of his story. What do you guys think??
Yes, King says he wants to show how they worked together. But: Even all four members of the group have stated about that time (88-91) - They've never worked so well together before, they felt like a family. They needed to stand even closer together, because of Freddie's illness and the fact they simply didn't have much time left. So yeah, if they really only tell their story from the early seventies until Live Aid - that would be a joke.

And please don't say anything about a sequel. That shouldn't and won't happen. THIS movie is the only chance to tell the real story, I just hope they haven't messed it up.

I am with you on this...to a degree. I think - from what I have seen and read already - that they have made the right decisions concerning this film. It should be a celebration and a tribute to the talent of Freddie and the boys and it most definitely should tell their story fully - with all the ups and downs. Regards his death? I think this should be touched upon in a respectful, moving, honest way...but it should not dominate the movie.

I think from a story point of view they have got it spot on. And I have no issue with the film ending in '85 ( as long as the truth is touched upon and there is a little write up before the end credits stating what happened in those last six years). But, although I agree that there would be plenty of drama in those last six years, story-wise there really would not be that much to say apart from the fact that Freddie was dying from AIDS and the band members became closer again. But what else really happened in Queen history in those six years which could add much to their story? After the Magic Tour and album, Freddie sang with Montsy and then Queen made a couple more albums: I just do not know how much of a storyline could be made out of this low key period in their history

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:47 pm

soxtalon wrote:I think they will touch on it but only in a montage type format. It will END at Live Aid and then they will do a montage of him working as he starts getting ill

I think we may see a montage thing over the credits, but I do not think it will show him getting ill; and the reason is because they want this film to be celebratory and end on a high. I still think they will show clips from his last years (like the TATDOOL vid), but I do not think they will be shown in a chronological manner showing him getting him frailer and frailer, as this goes against them wanting to end on a high note.

Personally, I always wanted to see his illness and death dealt with at the beginning of the film and then we would go to the very beginning and eventually end at Live Aid...but it is what it is.
Last edited by musicalprostitute on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On