The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:48 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Khashoggi wrote:
“We felt there was no need to go up to his death,” says King. “We didn’t want to go that dark. What we did want to do was really do get into the underbelly of Queen and how they worked together and how they put these amazing library of songs together.”

Okay, so this seems to be a straight message. They don't go up to his death in this movie. Does that mean they simply don't portray his last few days, or does this also mean they don't show any stuff from the Innuendo-era (recording TSMGO for example), or even the last sessions of what would become the last Freddie-tracks that would end up on "Made In Heaven"?
Personally I think it would be a true waste if they wouldn't even touch on that era. He was so brave and strong, his music was his life (so many people claim that), but with Freddie it was really true. He worked until he died, he gave everything for his work and therefore for his fans. I just think they can't release a movie without telling that so very important part of his story. What do you guys think??
Yes, King says he wants to show how they worked together. But: Even all four members of the group have stated about that time (88-91) - They've never worked so well together before, they felt like a family. They needed to stand even closer together, because of Freddie's illness and the fact they simply didn't have much time left. So yeah, if they really only tell their story from the early seventies until Live Aid - that would be a joke.

And please don't say anything about a sequel. That shouldn't and won't happen. THIS movie is the only chance to tell the real story, I just hope they haven't messed it up.

I am with you on this...to a degree. I think - from what I have seen and read already - that they have made the right decisions concerning this film. It should be a celebration and a tribute to the talent of Freddie and the boys and it most definitely should tell their story fully - with all the ups and downs. Regards his death? I think this should be touched upon in a respectful, moving, honest way...but it should not dominate the movie.

I think from a story point of view they have got it spot on. And I have no issue with the film ending in '85 ( as long as the truth is touched upon and there is a little write up before the end credits stating what happened in those last six years). But, although I agree that there would be plenty of drama in those last six years, story-wise there really would not be that much to say apart from the fact that Freddie was dying from AIDS and the band members became closer again. But what else really happened in Queen history in those six years which could add much to their story? After the Magic Tour and album, Freddie sang with Montsy and then Queen made a couple more albums: I just do not know how much of a storyline could be made out of this low key period in their history

I very much doubt that if they tell the story of the time of Miracle and Innuendo albums recording, we'll see how Brian and Freddie wrote Face on alone and other demos
Last edited by WiseMan on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby DANAIR737 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Yay, it's confirmed, new trailer tomorrow! The latest short snippet on YouTube detailing that fact already has 1.6k likes and only 5 dislikes. Wow, this film is gonna be popular!

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:Yay, it's confirmed, new trailer tomorrow! The latest short snippet on YouTube detailing that fact already has 1.6k likes and only 5 dislikes. Wow, this film is gonna be popular!

Gonna be because Mr.Robot there not John Blunt

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 pm

The only thing that peeves me that I know is omitted is 1978-1979.

This (to me) should've been in. It's when Freddie started going off into his separatist, distant from the band time in the gay club scene. Certainly when Paul Prenter started stirring the shit-pot.

From a storyline perspective I don't know how you could not touch upon that era a little.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 pm

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:The only thing that peeves me that I know is omitted is 1978-1979.

This (to me) should've been in. It's when Freddie started going off into his separatist, distant from the band time in the gay club scene. Certainly when Paul Prenter started stirring the shit-pot.

From a storyline perspective I don't know how you could not touch upon that era a little.

May be Paul Prenter for them is a hole in the storyline

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby DANAIR737 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:As per Bohemian Rhapshody's official Twitter post over 10 minutes ago - a NEW FULL TRAILER IS ON THE WAY FOR TOMORROW.

JULY 17th - NEW TRAILER! :onfire:

Oh, I was late to the party..

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:

I absolutely adore this photo. :)

Agreed
:onfire: this moment when you see young and old Brian although young Brian is only an actor

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:
MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:As per Bohemian Rhapshody's official Twitter post over 10 minutes ago - a NEW FULL TRAILER IS ON THE WAY FOR TOMORROW.

JULY 17th - NEW TRAILER! :onfire:

Oh, I was late to the party..

Not too late

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:I too agree that ending the film at Live Aid is the best choice because although the story of the band was far from over, it shows them at one of their highest points and heck, it's always good to end on a high.

In other news, I shall be prowling Instragram and Twitter during work breaks today to keep my beady eyes out for that 2nd trailer on the horizon.

And as a footnote, I think JM is the pretty much the absolute spit of Deacon,how some people are failing to see that is beyond me. Even the body language is spot on.

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree; this film should end on a high (and I have a feeling that Freddie would want it too). Sure, tackle the less nice things, but focus on the talent of the band and Freddie's rise to fame.

As for Joe Mazzello? I do not know what people expect. I cannot think of many other actors (actually none instantly spring to mind) who could look as close in resemblance. He looks just like Deaky. Same for Gwilym Lee: that man seems to have got Brian down to a tee...not just the look of the man, but his voice (fuck me!) and his gentle manner (well, from the little I have seen). Rami looks as good as anyone can trying to portray someone as physically unique as Freddie. And Ben Hardy just about passes as Roger. All in all I think the casting guys have done a wonderful job.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DANAIR737 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:07 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
VaudevilleDeMille wrote:I too agree that ending the film at Live Aid is the best choice because although the story of the band was far from over, it shows them at one of their highest points and heck, it's always good to end on a high.

In other news, I shall be prowling Instragram and Twitter during work breaks today to keep my beady eyes out for that 2nd trailer on the horizon.

And as a footnote, I think JM is the pretty much the absolute spit of Deacon,how some people are failing to see that is beyond me. Even the body language is spot on.

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree; this film should end on a high (and I have a feeling that Freddie would want it too). Sure, tackle the less nice things, but focus on the talent of the band and Freddie's rise to fame.

As for Joe Mazzello? I do not know what people expect. I cannot think of many other actors (actually none instantly spring to mind) who could look as close in resemblance. He looks just like Deaky. Same for Gwilym Lee: that man seems to have got Brian down to a tee...not just the look of the man, but his voice (fuck me!) and his gentle manner (well, from the little I have seen). Rami looks as good as anyone can trying to portray someone as physically unique as Freddie. And Ben Hardy just about passes as Roger. All in all I think the casting guys have done a wonderful job.

I also agree, they've done a super job with the casting. I'm very optimistic for this film. The first time I saw the first trailer, I was unsure, but I soon came around to it after a couple of views. It's only natural when you've been a big fan for so long. It will be interesting to see what reception the second trailer gets.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:“Sacha was never officially attached to this project,” King says. “I never thought Freddie could be played by a white actor. And there was never a script where Freddie Mercury dies halfway through the movie. Never. I kept my mouth shut through that whole thing, but I’ll go official on that now."

^As per that, sorry - but I still honestly believe Sacha Baron Cohen at least a bit when he says that plans (at the time he was involved) had something to do with showing how the band carried on halfway or near the end of the film.

Baron (according to Brian May himself) was officially attached for quite a time via contract. Wasn't King even quoted as saying so at one point?

Either way, King says there was never a script that followed that direction for the film. That does not mean that for a long time during the film's pre-production that this couldn't have been the initial concept floating around with Queen/Fox and Co. regarding the ground covered in this film.

What Baron said sounds too much like modern day May/Taylor to me to have been made up. Brian May also frequently uses the "strength to strength" phrase when describing Queen post-Freddie, which Baron used when he talked about what he was told.

It would just seem so Brian and Roger of them to consider making that kind of film. Especially how it could help promote what they've been currently up to.

Sorry, King. But I'm not buying it. I don't see why Sacha would lie about it if he knew his being proven wrong would be inevitable in the form of a full, freaking motion picture. The fact that he left the project ensured he has enough dirt to dish without manufacturing it all.

No. I think Brian and Roger have far more sense than this. There is no way either of them are so dumb as to believe that the general public would be in the slightest bit interested in a Queen biopic in which halfway through the film Freddie dies and then we see the others working with PR and then AL.

Cohen is full of shit. And it is no coincidence that he has not added anything at all since he made that nonsense up.

Also, King would not risk being caught out as a liar. What would be the point? He would just not speak about it. But he has chosen to come out and state what he has stated; and if Cohen was really so deeply involved then I doubt it would be too difficult for him or his people to prove otherwise.

Nah, I called bullshit as soon as I saw him spouting his big mouth on the Stern show. And I trust Brian too; Brian has stated that Cohen was not being honest and I believe him (and, again, as with King, Brian could have just kept his mouth shut).

Thank fuck we have Rami now.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:13 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:No. I think Brian and Roger have far more sense than this. There is no way either of them are so dumb as to believe that the general public would be in the slightest bit interested in a Queen biopic in which halfway through the film Freddie dies and then we see the others working with PR and then AL.

Also, King would not risk being caught out as a liar. What would be the point? He would just not speak about it. But he has chosen to come out and state what he has stated; and if Cohen was really so deeply involved then I doubt it would be too difficult for him or his people to prove otherwise.

Brian and Roger have a lot of issues with judgement, though.

I didn't say King lied - it's probably true that there was no script. He didn't say there was no concept - he just said there was no script. He's still telling the truth.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:No. I think Brian and Roger have far more sense than this. There is no way either of them are so dumb as to believe that the general public would be in the slightest bit interested in a Queen biopic in which halfway through the film Freddie dies and then we see the others working with PR and then AL.

Brian and Roger have a lot of issues with judgement, though.

I didn't say King lied - it's probably true that there was no script. He didn't say there was no concept - he just said there was no script. He's still telling the truth.

Yes, there have been times when they have both made some rather worrying decisions, but I simply do not think they are so thick as to think that anyone would be interested in Cohen's version of the movie.

Also, and this a very moot point, I think: one has to realise just how much money and work is invested in films. OK, so this did not have a massive blockbuster budget, but 20 million is still a substantial amount. Add to the costs the work involved over the last ten years trying to bring this thing to the screen. Do you honestly think any film studio would seriously consider putting out a film the way Cohen suggested? Because I truly do not.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hardwired » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Hard to believe that COhen is making this shit up when it is completely false. The truth might lie in the middle. They must have a huge fallout. I wonder what COhen is saying now that the storyline is known.

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On