The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:36 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/bohemian-rhapsody-trailer-film-review-freddie-mercury/

Whilst reading reviews for the latest trailer, I came across this one from May (speaking about the teaser trailer). Any of you old enough to remember the dark ages of Queen when the NME and Rolling Stone made it their mission to vitriolically attack Queen no matter what they did will see certain similarities with this review. This twat obviously has real disdain for the band and lets that disdain show throughout his entire 'review'. Belittling, patronising, acerbic, petty and on his own mission, this fucker needs a slap.

The one good thing is that he is in the absolute minority; every other review I have read has been amazing. And any criticisms I have read elsewhere have all been done without bias and for good reasons. So, Stuart Hermit Crab - or whatever your name is - you're out on your own. And Queen reign even stronger. Too bad, fucktard.

The very fact that he decides to moan about a funny throwaway gag rather than offer a profession critique/analysis says it all.

Deep inside he knows he has nothing of substance to say so he bangs on about poultry.

I could understand if such an article was meant as a parody but given the site it's on you'd think he'd have taken his work seriously.

Bugger isn't even aware of which vowels are neing sung by lovely MM for a start.

It's "AAAAAAAAAAAY-OOOOO" , 2 vowels! (please Carol)

HARUMPH!

Damn right.

Thank fuck there are those of us out there to challenge little turds like this one. Thing is, he tries to come across as so clever and witty...but ends up sounding like a bitching old queen whose better days are far behind them. Waspish little bitch.

Still, I am pretty sure not one person will remember any of his 'work' in forty-odd years time; our boys will still be blasting from speakers across the globe. Talent - a wise and beautiful man once stated - will out.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Indeed, the worst thing is, he actually gets paid for such a thing!

I don't know what's annoyed me more today, that article or a group of the Easily Offended defacing the great Rudyard Kipling, he of just so stories and exceedingly good cakes.

Fuck it, I'm a fair man. They're all bastards.

Before I derail the thread too much, watching the trailer again and even though we've not heard him speak so far, sometimes smeone's face says it all and JM's turn as Deacy doing that trademark shy smile warms my heart every time I see it, it's spot on.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:55 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Indeed, the worst thing is, he actually gets paid for such a thing!
Before I derail the thread too much, watching the trailer again and even though we've not heard him speak so far, sometimes smeone's face says it all and JM's turn as Deacy doing that trademark shy smile warms my heart every time I see it, it's spot on.

I agree. He's got that "adorkable" quality going on that John possessed. He might not have said anything, but sometimes body language (ha) speaks louder than words. ;)

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Indeed, the worst thing is, he actually gets paid for such a thing!

I don't know what's annoyed me more today, that article or a group of the Easily Offended defacing the great Rudyard Kipling, he of just so stories and exceedingly good cakes.

Fuck it, I'm a fair man. They're all bastards.

Oh, gawd, don't get me started on the easily offended - this thread will never recover! I shall look up the Rudyard Kipling article on Google in a bit.]

Yep, I'm with you about 'Deaky'. He just nails that bashful, modest Deaky smile. When 'Freddie' states that there is only room for one hysterical Queen in the band, you can just about briefly see 'Deaky' with that smile. Fuck, I am so stoked for this film!

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:29 pm

One thing I am hoping will happen after the release of this film is that they use the finest, top notch visual and audio technology there is and clean up the Live Aid performance to their best ability (better than the LATB dvd version). It has always irked me greatly that this stellar, career-defining performance was filmed so poorly back in the day (with all the issues they had filming the event live). I know they probably cannot make it look perfect, HD-like - but there must be something they can do to improve it using today's technology.

Maybe a potential big extra on the DVD release? Yes please.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:One thing I am hoping will happen after the release of this film is that they use the finest, top notch visual and audio technology there is and clean up the Live Aid performance to their best ability (better than the LATB dvd version). It has always irked me greatly that this stellar, career-defining performance was filmed so poorly back in the day (with all the issues they had filming the event live). I know they probably cannot make it look perfect, HD-like - but there must be something they can do to improve it using today's technology.

Maybe a potential big extra on the DVD release? Yes please.

It'd make sense if it were an extra in some capacity given that it's a major point of the film and if the Wembley footage and sound can be remastered to a Blu-Ray standard, I see little reason why the Live Aid footage can't.

And in regards to LoverBoy's post about 'Deaky's' adorkable nature being on point, I don't think it's a crime to say that all 4 members' characteristics and mannerisms have been well presented so far even though we've seen under 5 mins of footage, that's something that really shines through.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Deacon Fro » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 pm

While I'm VERY excited to see this movie, the biggest challenge for me will be suspending reality and just enjoy the thing for what it is. I too am very bothered by the Freddie 1977 Hot Space look, but I have to also realize that only we diehards will know that's inaccurate. Is it worth spoiling the entire movie over? For me, no. However, if there are several timeline errors throughout the movie it will affect my enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, I can still like the movie, but be very bothered by the accuracy.

For the record, I'm only talking about the looks, costumes, music, stage, etc when I say "timeline errors". As to how they'll tell the story of Freddie and Queen, well that's another topic all together and will definitely determine if I like this film. All of that aside, I can't wait to see it and hope it's one of those films I will see multiple times. We've been waiting a long time for this project to see the light of day and I really hope it doesn't disappoint from a diehard fan's perspective.

Deacon Fro
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 am

When I watch Rami during the Live Aid segments of the trailer - he just seems to lack that...powerful masculinity that Freddie had. It's hard to put my finger on it but he's such a small frame and on top of it, doesn't seem to have Freddie's aggression in how he seems to perform.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby J Starbuck88 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am

The one thing I noticed from the opening shot of Rami as Freddie at the piano was how ill he was beginning to look in the reflection so maybe that's why the powerful masculinity wasn't there? Just my 2 cents but did anyone else catch that?
My make up maybe flaking but my smile still stays on

J Starbuck88
Spread Your Wings

Is this A Kind of Magic? or does The Show Go On

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 am

J Starbuck88 wrote:The one thing I noticed from the opening shot of Rami as Freddie at the piano was how ill he was beginning to look in the reflection so maybe that's why the powerful masculinity wasn't there? Just my 2 cents but did anyone else catch that?

That's not the only shot(s) I'm referring to. And the set footage didn't help my opinion much.

I think Rami looks great as Freddie 90% of the time - but the Live Aid segments is where he looks his worst as Freddie, in my opinion. Something's just "off" about how he looks and moves, there.

The moustache is not as good/real looking as the one in every other scene we've watched thus far.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:54 am

J Starbuck88 wrote:The one thing I noticed from the opening shot of Rami as Freddie at the piano was how ill he was beginning to look in the reflection so maybe that's why the powerful masculinity wasn't there? Just my 2 cents but did anyone else catch that?

I think that reflection looks off because Rami should have closed his mouth. Honestly. I don't think he's supposed to look ill. It's just a weird, almost emotionless shot. Maybe he was going for more of a 'focused' look. But overall, I think his Live Aid impression is good. I don't sense him being less masculine. And it'd be down right weird if they intended on making him look ill during Live Aid -- that just wouldn't work. They're trying to recreate a crucial moment accurately. That much has been clear. The movie is centered around it.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:37 am

[quote="VaudevilleDeMille
It'd make sense if it were an extra in some capacity given that it's a major point of the film and if the Wembley footage and sound can be remastered to a Blu-Ray standard, I see little reason why the Live Aid footage can't.

[/quote]

The reasons for Live Aid not being able to be improved on is that the camera signals for the TV feed on the day is all they have for the visuals - they don't have all the footage from each camera individually to produce different edits or to work on the actual tape/film. The audio is the same I believe in that there is no multitrack but just the stereo audio mix from the day. What we've got already is about the best you'll get, and nowhere near high enough quality to use extensively as main video or audio for the movie.

Both the audio and the video for Wembley are held separately in original footage and multitrack audio formats, hence why they were able to upscale this to a certain degree (although the Wembley mixes available so far still leave a bit to be desired).

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:21 am

Will John go to the premier? Perhaps his children will drag him along. If he doesn't go to the premier I can't see him popping out to see it on a Tuesday afternoon because what if he's recognised? I guess they could arrange a private screening for him if they haven't already. Shame not to take his last bow at the premier though.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Khashoggi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am

Peace Loving Guy wrote:Will John go to the premier? Perhaps his children will drag him along. If he doesn't go to the premier I can't see him popping out to see it on a Tuesday afternoon because what if he's recognised? I guess they could arrange a private screening for him if they haven't already. Shame not to take his last bow at the premier though.

I guess they'll probably send him a tape, and that's it!
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On