The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby julymorning » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Another_Roger wrote:Marc Martel finally is allowed to speak about his involvement in the movie:

"Ladies and gentlemen, big news. In fact, some of the biggest news of my professional career, which, until just very recently, has been kept secret. Vague posts on my socials about clandestine trips to London, and selfies from Abbey Road Studios over the last year and a half, have perhaps been subtle hints to what some of you have already figured out.

I’m so happy to finally officially announce my involvement in the upcoming 20th Century Fox film, Bohemian Rhapsody. Back in December 2016, we received a call from GK Films, asking if I’d consider lending my voice to the movie. It was a little surreal getting that first call, as it was something I’d often daydreamed about. Like, “What if…?” - and then it actually happens! It has seriously been one of the best experiences of my life so far, and I’m so relieved to finally share it with you all.

Now in the post-production phase, the film’s singing aspects will feature a mix of Freddie Mercury’s voice, my voice, and that of Rami Malek, who is playing the role of Freddie. All of this is being synergistically arranged into a seamless, immersive experience of the life of one of the world’s most beloved entertainers, brought to the big screen. It’s no secret that many of you have patiently waited for this for decades now, and I couldn’t be more excited for you to finally see what Queen, alongside the very best in the movie-making world… and me (!!!!), have been up to.

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see that Bohemian Rhapsody goes from just fantasy to real life [cue groans] November 2nd, all over North America. Hooray!"

I mentioned that 'Queenies' had figured this out back the end of May, except the idea productions would be mixing the 3 voices was still conjecture. There are some well trained ears in this forum.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Dear Friends » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 am

That shot of Brian and John hugging at a dinner table had me hoping that all them can look back on the years with affection and perspective. I hope that John sees the film and feels a sense of pride and belonging in the story.

Funnily enough, I think a lot of the possible humour in the film could come from highlighting the personality differences. Considering we are getting a deep dive on night of the opera (this may knock down SHA’s status unfortunately), we might see some jokes about Roger being in love with his car and Brian being ridiculously noodley about everything. We can see Roger being glam rock star fish out of water at the farmhouse.

I would expect John to do small random things like “here’s an amp I made”, “I have this baseline” and also lose it at some point (around 84) to high effect.

Dear Friends
Spread Your Wings

Postby Broooklyn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Dear Friends wrote: and Brian being ridiculously noodley about everything.

You spelled neurotic wrong.

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 am

The IMdb cast list appears to have been updated.

Interestingly, I've found this:

Aidan White playing Mel Smith! Now, Whilst anyone playing Griff Rhys-Jones is yet to be confirmed, I think it's a fairly safe bet that with Mel having been cast, their introduction of the band at Live Aid will be recreated.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:01 pm

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby BitterTears » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:54 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:The IMdb cast list appears to have been updated.

Aidan White playing Mel Smith! Now, Whilst anyone playing Griff Rhys-Jones is yet to be confirmed, I think it's a fairly safe bet that with Mel having been cast, their introduction of the band at Live Aid will be recreated.

Or recording The Stonk

Edit: no wait, that wasn't them, was it? :oops:

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 pm

BitterTears wrote:
VaudevilleDeMille wrote:The IMdb cast list appears to have been updated.

Or recording The Stonk

Edit: no wait, that wasn't them, was it? :oops:

No. It was Hale and Pace, if I'm not mistaken. And, fuck me, was it a pile of shite. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm

It was indeed Hale and Pace and it was indeed....not their best work. Not that I've really seen that much of them over the years other than the kitten in the microwave sketch and other assorted things I can't remember.

It's a shame that a lot of their stuff doesn't seem readily available. Ditto Kenny Everett, though I'd imagine that complete DVDs of his stuff are nigh impossible due to music rights issues. A shame really.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 pm

I've just seen this, and it's a year old so forgive me if this has been posted here already...I read through pretty much of this thread and don't remember seeing it.

Anyway, I'm changing my mind about seeing the Biopic from not wanting to because I can't get past Rami's features, to yes I think I will, he's adorable when you get used to him.

This is what I watched, and I grinned all of the way through it. (except for the exasperating fact that no one can seem to spell Freddie's name right.)

phpBB [video]
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 am

No doubt the casting of Mel Smith will be the Live Aid intro....would be funny though if it were actually Brian’s appearance in a sketch on Smith & Jones’ show around the mid to late 80s though!!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:04 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:It was indeed Hale and Pace and it was indeed....not their best work. Not that I've really seen that much of them over the years other than the kitten in the microwave sketch and other assorted things I can't remember.

It's a shame that a lot of their stuff doesn't seem readily available. Ditto Kenny Everett, though I'd imagine that complete DVDs of his stuff are nigh impossible due to music rights issues. A shame really.

Hmmm...let's just politely say that Hale and Pace were of their time. As I recall, they were quite a big thing back in the day (I know I used to like them as a young teenager and they seemed to be always on the TV). And can you believe that the Kitten in the microwave sketch caused a great uproar at the time? Seems so tame to what we are exposed to now.

I don't think there are too many comedies/sketch shows, etc. from that time period that stand up too well, although I could still watch Blackadder and enjoy it (and some Only Fools and Horses...which, alas, has been repeated to death over the years).

As for Kenny? A big part of my childhood that man; and I remember being really saddened when he came out and said he was dying from AIDS. A real innovative radio presenter that one.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 pm

cmsdrums wrote:....would be funny though if it were actually Brian’s appearance in a sketch on Smith & Jones’ show around the mid to late 80s though!!

He did actually appear on the show...but it was in the late 90s from what I recall (a sketch to help promote his solo album at the time).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 pm

He did indeed. in a hideous burgundy shirt and Stonewashed jeans I think .

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Since we're on the subject of a Biopic and have mildly meandered into comedy, just putting it out there that Steve Pemberton would make a good Gareth Hale.

Oh and H&P DVDs ARE around it seems, region free!....for £94.00, nah. There'll be another rlease one day I'm sure and it's not as if DVDs are being as killed off anytime soon, not for another 5 years at least.

Oh and The Goodies BBC stuff is getting a complete rerelease in September too! :D I might hold on to my copy of 'At Last' though, just in case they (understandably, mind) omit the It's a Knockout' sequence from Beanstalk.

Is there a point to this post?

Of course!

On the subject of Comedy, I bring y'all back to eternally lovely Kenny Everett.

I'm wondering how much we'll see of him, just the one scene with him being given Bo Rhap and or maybe a few of his friendship with Fred being established beforehand?

Since '79 has been omitted from the film, Freddie's cameo during a Sid Snot sketch wouldn't be recreated, I'm sure.

Although it WAS during the Kenny Biopic a few years ago, and funnily enough, Freddie had his 'tache prematurely then aswell! Though I guess that was more of a recognition thing for the audience.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:....would be funny though if it were actually Brian’s appearance in a sketch on Smith & Jones’ show around the mid to late 80s though!!

He did actually appear on the show...but it was in the late 90s from what I recall (a sketch to help promote his solo album at the time).

That’s the one I was thinking of....I mistakenly thought it was 80s as opposed to 90s

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On