The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Faellie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:19 pm

There's a documentary out at the moment about Michael Jackson - Leaving Neverland - which alleges child rape, so there's not going to be a traditional biopic about him ever. And is there anything new for anyone to learn about Elvis?

A great film could be made about Bowie but not without the music - a singularly pointless endeavour in that circumstance, I would have thought.

What about a Fleetwood Mac movie?

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peavy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Faellie wrote:There's a documentary out at the moment about Michael Jackson - Leaving Neverland - which alleges child rape, so there's not going to be a traditional biopic about him ever.

That "documentary" is a disgrace and full with claims, but not one single proof. Same as back then, when the FBI investigated for 10 years and they searched whole Neverland, but didn't find one thing that proves those claims and therefor MJ was acquitted of all charges in trial. It's a shame what's been happening over the years, but not from Michael's side. The press just writes every shit they hear or make some up themselves, never do research and check the facts, but the people just believe it...because...it's a headline. Similar to what the tabloids did to Freddie back then, just even worse overall.

Still I doubt there will be a true and good biopic ever about him, at least in quite some time. There is though "The Jacksons - An American Dream", a TV movie from 1992 that covers the time from the beginning of the Jackson 5 until Motown 25, it's good.

About a sequel to BR...I don't need it and I definitely don't want to see Freddie suffer and slowly dying on the big screen! If they'd focus on some specific time (not so many years like in BR) and put the focus there, at best something about them being creative or Freddie recording "Barcelona" with Caballé, that on the other hand could be quite interesting and entertaining to see...

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Here's an article from today about rock biopics in general and the impact Bo Rhap is having. My own (ahem) prediction that the long mooted Keith Moon movie might now be kickstarted seems to have been accurate (though we'll see).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... m-industry

zso wrote:.....

Regarding BR, I do not say that a sequel is a must, but I would like to see a film concentrating on a short period (not Freddie's illness).

I agree, the shame is that the BR film now is almost too big to warrant one. Nothing will match its success as there's no story left to tell. If some enterprising young filmaker was to suggest a low key film about Freddie in 87-88 doing Barcelona (as Peavy suggests) and also dealing with the press, his diagnosis, his relationship with Jim, etc, it wouldn't happen now because BR was so huge (and used up all the big story 'beats'). But see the independent film "The Hours and Times" about Lennon and Epstein (pre the film "Backbeat".) Something similarly small and character based about Freddie/Queen could be very interesting. But won't happen now.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Having seen David Bowie music and acting career, the man was talented but nowadays people seems to overestimate him.
I do believe that Elton John is greater and less appreciated.

A sequel of BRcould be a movie focusing on Queen Tours from the smallest gigs up to Knewborth Park, with all the adventures.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peavy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Wild/Wind wrote:A sequel of BRcould be a movie focusing on Queen Tours from the smallest gigs up to Knewborth Park, with all the adventures.

And then releasing all the still missing real concerts on DVD finally afterwards! :mrgreen:

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby parchedpeas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:55 pm

So they turned down opening at the Oscars for this year??

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/acade ... 202040335/

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Michael Allred » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Can't believe they would turn down one of the biggest opportunities of their career. No official comment from them yet. Would be a shame.
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

If it's true (which we know when it comes to the media reporting on Queen, it not a given) I wonder what the offer was? Perhaps they wanted Brian and Roger to perform with Rami singing and they didn't fancy that. Perhaps the invite was for Brian, Roger and John, the organisers perhaps not realising that John would have had zero interest. Could be lots of things, but you'd imagine they'd have a good reason for turning it down when you think of all the things they haven't turned down over the years... :P

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 pm

BitterTears wrote:If it's true (which we know when it comes to the media reporting on Queen, it not a given) I wonder what the offer was? Perhaps they wanted Brian and Roger to perform with Rami singing and they didn't fancy that. Perhaps the invite was for Brian, Roger and John, the organisers perhaps not realising that John would have had zero interest. Could be lots of things, but you'd imagine they'd have a good reason for turning it down when you think of all the things they haven't turned down over the years... :P

"The decision to have the rock band open the show could have been met with backlash, as their presence at the show would be tied to “Bohemian Rhapsody,” one of the year’s most controversial nominees given its credited director is Bryan Singer".

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Peavy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 pm

With all the controversies right now in general and including the Bryan Singer accusations, I guess it was a good decision from them to not get involved in more Hollywood-esque stuff. Who knows how a performance of them would have been criticized by the press, especially if BR won one or more of the 5 awards it's nominated for. I think that's much rather the reason than that they don't want to. If Brian has to apologize for some imo not really bad comment on Twitter like that, it's really better to turn down something like this than give the press possibly more ways to pull them/the movie in the mud...very weird times right now!

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 am

Yes. The media controls the political correctness, and we are all puppets hanging from strings. The consequences of doing or saying something that isn't political correct today, may end up ruining your career if you are famous.

It is like the press tend to stick to something, and never let it go. The case with Singer is a job for the court, and I think they should not repeat this controversy over and over again. There are more things in this World that is more important news.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:17 am

So back to Rami Malek - I think he did a good job...but not as good of a job as people are saying.

One of the things he didn't do very well was Freddie's energy. Rami's speech as Freddie is so slowed, so slurred. The way he speaks to people and the awkwardness reminds me of Freddie Mercury with a dash of Tommy Wiseau.

Freddie was lively, wide eyed, spoke quite quickly and with a rhythm and was energetic in his diction. Rami was the exact opposite.

Not only that, but Freddie was much more masculine in his energy than Rami's portrayal. Rami played Freddie almost too fluttery and effeminate onstage, especially in Live Aid's segments. Freddie could be a strutting queen - but he also had a masculine aura of aggressiveness that Rami just didn't capture or emulate...at all.

Also, Freddie did more onstage than pump his fist in front of him.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:27 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:So back to Rami Malek - I think he did a good job...but not as good of a job as people are saying.

One of the things he didn't do very well was Freddie's energy. Rami's speech as Freddie is so slowed, so slurred. The way he speaks to people and the awkwardness reminds me of Freddie Mercury with a dash of Tommy Wiseau.

Freddie was lively, wide eyed, spoke quite quickly and with a rhythm and was energetic in his diction. Rami was the exact opposite.

Not only that, but Freddie was much more masculine in his energy than Rami's portrayal. Rami played Freddie almost too fluttery and effeminate onstage, especially in Live Aid's segments. Freddie could be a strutting queen - but he also had a masculine aura of aggressiveness that Rami just didn't capture or emulate...at all.

Of course the masses think he did a phenomenal job, which is onlyl aided by Brian and Roger saying sometimes they "forget" it's not them on the big screen. What a load of baloney. While I think everyone, including Rami, did a great job, it's not flawless. As you said, Rami wasn't masculine enough on the stage, but I also think that's due to his slender form. Freddie was slim as well, but something about his body screamed masculinity. Maybe it was all the hair missing on Rami's body? haha But yeah, something was off. But it didn't stop me from enjoying his performance. There was certainly an essence of the man we love in his performance. But even he said it himself, he can't "be Freddie." All he can do is give his best version. And I have no doubt that he tried his hardest, and it really did show. I'm grateful for all that he accomplished, truly.

But all that aside, the only thing that still bothers me is the band breaking up. I was on youtube searching clips of the movie because I was curious about what people were saying. And there's the scene of the break up, and people are talking like it really happened. And even defending that fiction from people trying to correct the creative liberty. Their response is "Well you weren't there, so how do you know the band didn't break up." Ugh. Now, the band did seperate, but it was mutual. And yeah, there have been times they've walked out on each saying "I quit" but they always came back. I swear. I'd be able to fully enjoy the film, flaws and all, if it weren't for that stupid creative liberty. It probably hurts because I was always proud that the band stuck it out throughout all the obstacles and hurdles. It was always the four of them. Even when they had their differences, they always came back together because they knew the band was too important. And this movie shows Freddie coming back, but the others being dicks about it. I can't believe this is what we were given. And yes, I realize it's not a documentary. But come on...

Honestly, am I alone in saying sometimes I wish they'd never bothered with the film? I've never felt so conflicted about any Queen product ... including Hot Space!!!! Lol
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby Faellie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Frank wrote:
MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:So back to Rami Malek - I think he did a good job...but not as good of a job as people are saying.

Of course the masses think he did a phenomenal job, which is onlyl aided by Brian and Roger saying sometimes they "forget" it's not them on the big screen. What a load of baloney. While I think everyone, including Rami, did a great job, it's not flawless. As you said, Rami wasn't masculine enough on the stage, but I also think that's due to his slender form. Freddie was slim as well, but something about his body screamed masculinity. Maybe it was all the hair missing on Rami's body? haha But yeah, something was off. But it didn't stop me from enjoying his performance. There was certainly an essence of the man we love in his performance. But even he said it himself, he can't "be Freddie." All he can do is give his best version. And I have no doubt that he tried his hardest, and it really did show. I'm grateful for all that he accomplished, truly.

But all that aside, the only thing that still bothers me is the band breaking up. I was on youtube searching clips of the movie because I was curious about what people were saying. And there's the scene of the break up, and people are talking like it really happened. And even defending that fiction from people trying to correct the creative liberty. Their response is "Well you weren't there, so how do you know the band didn't break up." Ugh. Now, the band did seperate, but it was mutual. And yeah, there have been times they've walked out on each saying "I quit" but they always came back. I swear. I'd be able to fully enjoy the film, flaws and all, if it weren't for that stupid creative liberty. It probably hurts because I was always proud that the band stuck it out throughout all the obstacles and hurdles. It was always the four of them. Even when they had their differences, they always came back together because they knew the band was too important. And this movie shows Freddie coming back, but the others being dicks about it. I can't believe this is what we were given. And yes, I realize it's not a documentary. But come on...

Honestly, am I alone in saying sometimes I wish they'd never bothered with the film? I've never felt so conflicted about any Queen product ... including Hot Space!!!! Lol

The thing that annoys me about the film is that some very small changes in dialogue could have avoided all these problems about departures from reality.

When Freddie said he'd got a contract for 2 solo albums and $4m, the band could have said "will he ever play with us again"?

Freddie didn't have to say "I've got Aids" he could have said "you can guess what I'm dealing with".

Roger didn't have to say "we haven't played together in ages" he could have said "we always play 2 hours not 20 minutes".

Just a few lttle changes along these lines, and the whole narrative is much closer to what happened.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:19 pm

Yes, absolutely, Faelli. I'd say Anthony McCarten dropped the ball on this one, but it was more than likely intentional. He added drama because he didn't want to bore the audience. And he just had to use "AIDS" because the audience would be too dumb to get the hint, or there would be criticism for not mentioning the disease by name. It's nauseating.

Again, I kind of wish they'd never bothered with the film. It's not what I was hoping for. I wanted a film where my friends would finally get it. You know, understand why I and so many others admire the band. Instead, they "think" they get it, but they don't really. And it probably angers me more than it should.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On