The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby mikespit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:38 am

Frank wrote:It's one of my favorites as well. It sort of encapsulates the way he lived out the rest of his life. Him not wanting to be an AIDS poster boy, wanting to give the people what they want, and not wanting to talk about his condition any further rang true to who the real man was. Some people have complained about this scene because it's two years too soon...but in my mind that whole scene, and the Live Aid scene of course, symbolizes the rest of their career. And I had no problem with that.

Absolutely agree with you 100%

It is such a inspirational part of the movie - reflects his generosity and optimism in light of the grim news.

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby parchedpeas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 am

parchedpeas wrote:So they turned down opening at the Oscars for this year??

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/acade ... 202040335/

Brian now confirming that this is not true, which is odd in itself.

Is the confirmation of the non-refusal a confirmation of the fact that they are doing it? He certainly doesn't rule it out in his carefully selected words!

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Writergirl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Oops, I had the line wrong. Freddie's line is "We'll punch a hole in the sky!" not 'touch the sky'. Oh well! It's still a great line. :-)

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby adatr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:15 pm

No you are correct its the "touch the heavens" in a child like high pitched voice.

I'm just struggling to get the context on this

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Not sure what you're confused about. He was just being dramatic. I agree it's a bit over the top, but then again, it's Freddie we're talking about.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 am

I was hoping one of you could clear something up for me. I can't remember if Paul Prenter (in real life) sold Freddie's private life info before or after he was fired. To my understanding, Freddie had a falling out with Paul when he decided to quit partying so hard, then Paul released the information, and then he was swiftly fired. Do I remember that correctly? Thanks. I'm just trying to compare what happened in the film to what really happened.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby mikespit » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am

Frank wrote:I was hoping one of you could clear something up for me. I can't remember if Paul Prenter (in real life) sold Freddie's private life info before or after he was fired. To my understanding, Freddie had a falling out with Paul when he decided to quit partying so hard, then Paul released the information, and then he was swiftly fired. Do I remember that correctly? Thanks. I'm just trying to compare what happened in the film to what really happened.

This might be useful:
https://sillyconfusion.com/how-paul-prenter-betrayed-freddie-mercury/

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:39 pm

mikespit wrote:
Frank wrote:I was hoping one of you could clear something up for me. I can't remember if Paul Prenter (in real life) sold Freddie's private life info before or after he was fired. To my understanding, Freddie had a falling out with Paul when he decided to quit partying so hard, then Paul released the information, and then he was swiftly fired. Do I remember that correctly? Thanks. I'm just trying to compare what happened in the film to what really happened.

This might be useful:
https://sillyconfusion.com/how-paul-prenter-betrayed-freddie-mercury/

So according to that page Paul was let go before he released info about Freddie's personal life, which is consistent with the film. Interesting.

I read the entire interview with The Forum, and my God, Paul describes the band as "unreasonable and ungrateful individuals." It's all a bit too much. I'm sure they were a difficult bunch to work for, but he sounds so negative about the whole experience. As if he had nothing to do with the crazy parties. According to Mack, he'd be the one looking at the clock because it was "club time" during the Hot Space sessions. He's a lying scumbag.

However, this isn't from the article "All The Queen's Men," is it? If I'm not mistaken, that was the The Sun article that Paul initially betrayed Freddie with. I'm going to keep looking for it, but if any one knows where I can read the full article, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

By the way, this article claims that Paul released pics and info for "All The Queen's Men" article, and then Freddie fired him. And then Paul continued to sell info to the press in spite of Freddie. What a dreadful prick.

http://www.48min.com/entertainment/how- ... ueen-movie

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Queen16 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:42 am

phpBB [video]

Queen16
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Staffell has no problem with the changes made in Bohemian Rhapsody:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... rue-story/

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:19 am

TheHero wrote:Staffell has no problem with the changes made in Bohemian Rhapsody:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... rue-story/

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to hear Staffell's take on the film. I trust him.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby parchedpeas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:29 pm

parchedpeas wrote:
parchedpeas wrote:Is the confirmation of the non-refusal a confirmation of the fact that they are doing it? He certainly doesn't rule it out in his carefully selected words!

So I called this one right!

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:50 pm

This article is kind of touching. I couldn't fathom watching the movie this many times in such a short period of time, but it apparently resonated with them.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/m ... story.html

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby agkelly » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:03 pm

I ended up seeing the film 9 times in the cinemas (even knowingly up until about a week before it came out on dvd here in Australia!), so all-in-all, I've seen it 10 times now. I made peace with all the glaringly obvious timeline errors and factual inaccuracies, and I wasn't overly concerned about all the minor detail errors in the first place but put them behind me early on too.

For me, the Hollywood-ised version of Queen's story on the big screen has brought in SO many new people into our world. So many people I know who have never shown an interest in Queen or their music now can see what I've been on about all these years ... and can understand my passion. So for me, the movie has been a great success (not quoting Borat for obvious reasons!).

The one thing for me in the whole film that just irks me every single time? During Freddie's 'dayo' section of the Live Aid set, there's a security fella in a yellow shirt that looks up at Freddie at that time and laughs. And the laugh is audible in the film. I don't know why, but that little thing just irritates the crap outta me each and every time!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm

agkelly wrote:I ended up seeing the film 9 times in the cinemas (even knowingly up until about a week before it came out on dvd here in Australia!), so all-in-all, I've seen it 10 times now. I made peace with all the glaringly obvious timeline errors and factual inaccuracies, and I wasn't overly concerned about all the minor detail errors in the first place but put them behind me early on too.

For me, the Hollywood-ised version of Queen's story on the big screen has brought in SO many new people into our world. So many people I know who have never shown an interest in Queen or their music now can see what I've been on about all these years ... and can understand my passion. So for me, the movie has been a great success (not quoting Borat for obvious reasons!).

The one thing for me in the whole film that just irks me every single time? During Freddie's 'dayo' section of the Live Aid set, there's a security fella in a yellow shirt that looks up at Freddie at that time and laughs. And the laugh is audible in the film. I don't know why, but that little thing just irritates the crap outta me each and every time!

Yes, I agree that the film has brought a lot of good change for the Queen fan community...expanded it, given QP more reason (hopefully) to put more interesting releases out...and now my friends can begin to understand why I've been crazy about the band all these years.

Bit surprised to read that the security guy laughing bothered you. It's not like he's laughing at Freddie. He's just amused by how awesome Freddie is at holding the audience in the palm of his hand. I mean, it was an incredibly charismatic moment when he just goes for some random call and response with the crowd. Love it.

Like you I'm able to look past all the timeline issues, and over-simplification of things like their formation years. What I still can't get over is the break up of the group. What a load of bollocks. It makes the second half of the film so difficult to sit through.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On