2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: 2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Postby vinylman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:47 am

Whereas some LPs made from digital masters can sound acceptable, I'll take my UK first pressings over any of them. The first UK pressings of 'Sheer Heart Attack', 'Jazz', & ''The Game' sound better than any other version I've heard, vinyl or CD.

vinylman
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:04 pm

First pressings are what they are: First pressings!
The music was fresh and transferred onto vinyl from brand new Mastertapes. No wonder they sounded good, and still will, if the LP is not badly treated.

BUT as most first pressings are used, maybe scratched, and paired with a cover that has lots of marks and bruises too, I prefer a brand new, untouched LP from 2015 / 2016.

But when I find a mint or near mint first pressing, I am willing to buy it. I bought a NM LP Live Magic from 1986. It sounds absolutely fantastic, like new.

I have heard that LPs will last longer than CDs too, if treated properly.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby vinylman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:49 pm

When I was collecting (stopped in 1995), it used to annoy the hell out of me when I went to record fairs and went through all the records; I'd find something I wanted and the sleeve would be in decent condition. I'd then pull the record out and it usually looked like it had been used as a frisbee. I've never understood people who pay good money for something and then don't keep it in 'as new' condition. It's not rocket science. I eventually just used to buy from record dealers I got to know and trusted.

vinylman
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On