2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Postby DREAMASTER » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 pm

About the 2011 remasters, I haven't bought until now a single one and I'm thinking doing it soon but I don't know where to start and so I would like to know you folks opinion. What are the albums the you noticed the biggest improvement over the 1991 HR /1994 EMI/ 2004 Toshiba remasters?

Thank you in adavance :)
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Re: 2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Postby Kes » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:25 am

I think they were 1992 EMI (or more concisely, Parlophone) Remasters.

It's a difficult one to answer, as in my view, the Toshiba remasters in 1998 (same as the US Crown Jewels set), and 2001, were dramatic improvements on their predecessors. Therefore, the step forward from them to the 2011 Island Remasters (we'll call them that, even though Hollywood also took up the option eventually), isn't quite as much of a giant leap.

Anyway, to answer your question. I can't notice any real difference between the most recent EMI/Parlophone remaster of ANATO (30th Anniversary), and it's Island counterpart, but maybe that's because Bob Ludwig was behind both of them, and it was only a fairly short gap of about six years between them being issued.

The Island ones that stick out for me, would be the first album, Queen II, ADATR, NOTW, Jazz, Innuendo and maybe Hot Space. That's not to say the others are crap at all, though I'd probably recommend you carry on playing your existing Made In Heaven, as it appears a glich got through on the Island one, that once you know it's there, distracts from your listening pleasure. I'd probably say that Queen II, ADATR and Innuendo are my three favourite albums, and so are the ones I've listened to most intently. They sound GREAT to me.

Everyone complains about the original incarnations of Jazz being equalised to oblivion, and I think a lot would say it's getting on for the most improved in the latest set.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Sixpence » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 am

DItto Kes's post.

I don't know if they are still available brand new or if you have to get second hand as I think they were only out for 12 months, but the 2 disc versions of the remasters are worth getting hold of. They are are in no way perfect but there's stuff worth having on each disc.
Last edited by The Sixpence on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sixpence

Postby Kes » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 am

You "can" still see the box set of all 15 double albums on eBay for a fairly reasonable price, by that I mean under a hundred quid.

NEW QUEEN REMASTERED 40 YRS ANNIVERSARY 30 CDS BOX SET NEW SEAL

http://bit.ly/N5xDHG

Sorry about a double link, but I'm doing this from a smartphone.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Niall » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Yep, I agree. Innuendo, in particular, sounds very fresh.
Body Language, huh, huh.

Niall
Spread Your Wings

Postby DREAMASTER » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks everyone for the help (specially Kes for the detailed reply).

So I think I will start with Innuendo then. I have always thought that this album lacked some punch and power in the songs.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:58 am

DREAMASTER wrote:Thanks everyone for the help (specially Kes for the detailed reply).

So I think I will start with Innuendo then. I have always thought that this album lacked some punch and power in the songs.

The Miracle sounds good to my ears also...

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Sixpence » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 am

The Deep Cuts 3 version of Khashoggi's Ship sounds immense thanks to the drums at the start being separated from the end of Party. Worth getting it just for that track.
Last edited by The Sixpence on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Sixpence

Postby stagnation » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:28 am

The Sixpence wrote:The Deep Cuts 3 version of Khashoggi's Ship sounds immense thanks to the drums atthe start being separated from the end of Party. Worth getting it just for that track.

I suppose that if you wanted to find out how things are sounding in general, the Deep Cut Collections are good cross section of their career away from the singles - Add that to the platinum collection and its pretty definitive gave or take a few tracks.

Deep Cuts can be picked up quite cheaply at the moment

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Sixpence » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 am

I quite liked the Deep Cuts - I'm sure we could all have picked certain tracks to include/remove on each volume but they are a good alternative/complement to the GH albums.

The Sixpence

Postby DREAMASTER » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:56 am

stagnation wrote:
The Sixpence wrote:The Deep Cuts 3 version of Khashoggi's Ship sounds immense thanks to the drums atthe start being separated from the end of Party. Worth getting it just for that track.

I suppose that if you wanted to find out how things are sounding in general, the Deep Cut Collections are good cross section of their career away from the singles - Add that to the platinum collection and its pretty definitive gave or take a few tracks.

Deep Cuts can be picked up quite cheaply at the moment

Well I already have all Queen albums repeated in many formats and the new 2011 remasters will make company to the other albums copies that own ;)
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:20 pm

You And I should have been a priority on the DC albums, otherwise I'd pretty much run with those they selected.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Sixpence » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:09 pm

I still think I Can't LIve With You should have been on DC3 over The Hitman.

The Sixpence

Postby courouleau » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:25 pm

I do wish they would have released the Deep Cuts albums in America. I didn't mind importing them, because I buy all the Queen stuff I can, but it was a missed opportunity here.

courouleau
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:39 am

I think Hollywood were offered them, and they didn't think there was a big enough potential market.

In case you haven't noticed, Hollywood have kind of turned over their rights to release the video footage to Eagle in America. I think they feel they just haven't got the resources to make a decent profit out of them, whereas music video is what Eagle do, it's what they're ALL about.

For the rest of the world, Universal are pretty good. They have DVD and BD manufacturing, distribution and marketing, down to a fine art.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On