2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: 2011 Remasters Improvement ?

Postby maidenpriest » Wed May 28, 2014 12:10 am

When the 2011 remasters first came out obviously I bought them for the bonus tracks and replaced my CDP's for my 'to go' versions, but I decided to go back and listen to my CDP's and TOCP Mini Vinyl Replicas and in my opinion a combination of either the CDP's or TOCP's are the best digital versions we have available today, its a shame, if the 2011's had been mastered without highs and lows being chopped and with less compression they could have been really good !! :( My advice if you don't need the bonus tracks stick with the original Cd releases !!!

maidenpriest
We Will Rock You

Postby new_mercury » Wed May 28, 2014 6:04 am

maidenpriest wrote:When the 2011 remasters first came out obviously I bought them for the bonus tracks and replaced my CDP's for my 'to go' versions, but I decided to go back and listen to my CDP's and TOCP Mini Vinyl Replicas and in my opinion a combination of either the CDP's or TOCP's are the best digital versions we have available today, its a shame, if the 2011's had been mastered without highs and lows being chopped and with less compression they could have been really good !! :( My advice if you don't need the bonus tracks stick with the original Cd releases !!!

Bought the first 5 albums mainly for the bonus tracks but then waited for them to appear on amazon and juat bought (yes downloaded I'm afraid) the rest of the bonua tracks, cherry picked the ones I really wanted such as the invisible man demo etc
Money can't buy happiness....... but it can buy decent music!!!

new_mercury
Spread Your Wings

Postby blueviolin » Wed May 28, 2014 10:13 pm

vinylman wrote:Quite honestly, the 2011 'efforts' are possibly the worst remasters I've ever heard. Cutting the bottom end and boosting the mid/top end isn't remastering. QII is more listenable, SHA is compeletely UNlistenable; I can't even get past 'Flick Of The Wrist'. GHII is better, GH is awful; what's the point of making every track sound the same?. Q1 is so-so, thanks for not being arsed to clean up the acetate. Maybe they'd sound better on a £15 Tesco microsystem?. Too loud as well. I certainly won't be chancing my money on any of the others. The 2001/2004 MiniVinyls are still the ones to beat.

I'm curious, what is 'mini vinyls'? I'm curious to hear it and the difference with the remasters. And also what is there special in these japanese editions?
Thanks

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu May 29, 2014 4:09 am

Mini-vinyls refer to the 1998, and 2000+ Japanese CD issues in card sleeves, as these were meant to mimic the original vinyl releases artwork and packaging. These issues were all remastered, AFAIK, by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

The first eight studio albums, released in 1998, were jointly commissioned by Hollywood Records, and were issued by them as the Crown Jewels boxset, also in card sleeves. The remaining studio albums, reissues of the first eight, and the live albums up to that point, were issued solely by Toshiba-EMI in Japan, this side of the millenium.

So, although these albums were remastered at EMI, by EMI, everywhere except Japan and the US carried on having the 1992 remasters being repressed and distributed right up until the band signed for Island, and Bob Ludwig remastered the whole studio catalogue.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby blueviolin » Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 am

Kes wrote:Mini-vinyls refer to the 1998, and 2000+ Japanese CD issues in card sleeves, as these were meant to mimic the original vinyl releases artwork and packaging. These issues were all remastered, AFAIK, by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

The first eight studio albums, released in 1998, were jointly commissioned by Hollywood Records, and were issued by them as the Crown Jewels boxset, also in card sleeves. The remaining studio albums, reissues of the first eight, and the live albums up to that point, were issued solely by Toshiba-EMI in Japan, this side of the millenium.

So, although these albums were remastered at EMI, by EMI, everywhere except Japan and the US carried on having the 1992 remasters being repressed and distributed right up until the band signed for Island, and Bob Ludwig remastered the whole studio catalogue.

Thanks very much Kes! I was actually thinking that the Mini - Vinyls and the Japan issues were 2 separate things!
I never bought these when I saw them, so I'll give it a go next time! And you, which version do you prefer, the 1992, the Japan issues, or the Bob Ludwig ones ? (I guess everyone agrees that on LP it sounds the best though)

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Personally, I think the Japanese mini-vinyl ones probably sound the best to me, well, they're the ones that had the most impact on ME, however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's really a case of choosing for yourself what you prefer.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby blueviolin » Thu May 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Kes wrote:Personally, I think the Japanese mini-vinyl ones probably sound the best to me, well, they're the ones that had the most impact on ME, however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's really a case of choosing for yourself what you prefer.

Thanks for advice! As that's the case for you and 'vinylman', I'll definitely try it!

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Saying that, I think the Island 2011 remaster of Jazz, leaves all the previous releases of that album behind it. Innuendo also benefits in places for the recent remaster.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby stagnation » Fri May 30, 2014 10:37 am

News Of The World also has a definite improvement also its now got that big bottom end on Roger's drums that was missing on the 1994 remaster and is more inline with the original vinyl.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri May 30, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm hardly an audiophile and I never had any Queen on vinyl, but to me the recent remasters sound great. I distinctly remember hearing a lot of stuff in several songs that I'd never even noticed before.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby maidenpriest » Sat May 31, 2014 2:33 pm

These are my 'to go' Queen:

Queen: CDP 7462042
Queen 2: CDP 7 46205 2 or... (In the process of doing a Needledrop because my Fame reissue the vinyl is better IMO)
Sheer Heart Attack: TOCP 65109
A Night At The Opera: CDP 7 46207 2
A Day At The Races: JPN CDP C8DI 31
News Of The World: CDP 746209 2
Jazz: CDP 7 46210 2 or CP32 5315 (Its my favourite Queen album and I Can't Decide:help:)
Live Killers: TOCP 67461 6 2
The Game: CDP 7 46218 2
Flash: CDP 7 46214 2
Hot Space: CDP 7 46215 2
The Works: TOCP-67351
A Kind Of Magic: TOCP-67352
The Miracle: TOCP-67353
Innuendo: TOCP-67354
Made In Heaven: 7243 8 36088 2 9
GH 1: CDP 7 46033 2 (Apart from sound essential for 'Save Me')
GH 2: CDP 79 7971 2
GH 3: 7243 5 23894 2 1

maidenpriest
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Oh, for the three Greatest Hits albums, I've got to give a BIG thumbs up to the Japanese 2011 SHMCD versions, they sound absolutely stunning to me.

Based on those, I should think the SHMCD versions of all the albums probably sound OK too.

Basically, the optical surface of the disc is made out of a camera lens grade transparency, and they reckon this gives about a 25% reduction in reading errors from the laser.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Tom63 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:37 am

Does this mean that the GH album(s) have gotten a different mastering level or process for that matter than the original albums had? Am I misstaken here, but does this mean that the GH album(s) do sound better than the remasters from 2011? I am not an expert, far from it, I consider myself as a Queen fan, but I did hear some differance with the 1991 remasters from Hollywood Records, this compared to my EMI ones. Or am I hearing this completely wrong?

Tom
Have to have some fun.........

Tom63
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:47 am

Apparently, the first thing remastered by Bob Ludwig, was Absolute Greatest.

The next tracks were the three Greatest Hits albums, as these were made available for download IMMEDIATELY the contract with Island and UMG went live.

As far as I know, the next stuff Mr Ludwig set to work on, was the original albums. Whether or not specific tracks in exactly the same versions, ie Somebody To Love, were remastered once for Absolute Greatest, once for Greatest Hits, and once for ADATR, I don't know, but I get the impression from a question I asked Justin Smith, that all three are the same remaster of that song.

The SHMCD thing is about the resolution of THAT remaster, which is apparently at a level WAY beyond the capabilities of a CD, and the better the medium you have to reproduce the master, the better it will sound.... allegedly. That's what SHMCD gives you, a reputedly clearer playback.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:34 am

Kes wrote:Whether or not specific tracks in exactly the same versions, ie Somebody To Love, were remastered once for Absolute Greatest, once for Greatest Hits, and once for ADATR, I don't know, but I get the impression from a question I asked Justin Smith, that all three are the same remaster of that song.

I was under the impression that the GH discs and the individual albums used the same master, given how the physical releases came out at the same time.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On