Favourite Deacy track

Deaky Back Chat
Leigh Burne

Re: Favourite Deacy track

Post by Leigh Burne »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:38 amLive albums in general reached allot of people in the '70's, especially in the U.S.. Think of the bands that either had their highest charting album or breakthrough album with a live release. Frampton, Kiss, Bob Seger, Foghat, Cheap Trick, Mott The Hoople, Led Zep, The Who, Allman Brothers...even the Stones had a really good live album.
Thin Lizzy, UFO...

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

A few of those bands touched up their live albums in the studio, has Queen done this?

I remember hearing the syndicated BBC Concert show in '77 with Queen. Queen played a few tracks from News Of The World to wildly adoring fans. I later found out the crowd was dubbed in, these tracks were recorded at Maida Vale 4 studio.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:46 am A few of those bands touched up their live albums in the studio, has Queen done this?

I remember hearing the syndicated BBC Concert show in '77 with Queen. Queen played a few tracks from News Of The World to wildly adoring fans. I later found out the crowd was dubbed in, these tracks were recorded at Maida Vale 4 studio.
Get searching on YouTube - the original broadcast of Wembley is on there and there are differences. In fact at times on the album you can hear echoes of the original vocals which don't tie up with the vocals you hear.

Mind you, they left in the point in Tear It Up where John's bass went out of tune.

Most live albums will have work done in the studio - any band wants to put out the best product they can and I've never come across a musician who is totally happy with what they've done, it can always be improved.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:46 amA few of those bands touched up their live albums in the studio, has Queen done this?
The Fred Tribute was tweaked in the studio after the fact. I've got a bootleg CD of the original live radio broadcast. The two goofs that immediately jump out are "Stone Cold Crazy", which went all wrong in the middle, and Brian flubbing the solo on "Somebody to Love". Both of those were corrected for the video releases.

Freddie also messed up a line during "It's a Hard Life" at Rock in Rio, and that was fixed when the track was included on the bonus EP in the 2011 reissue of The Works.

So yes, Queen definitely did it. As does virtually any band. Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East is considered one of the best live metal albums ever, and yet Rob Halford's vocals on that were done entirely in the studio.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Leigh Burne wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:12 am So yes, Queen definitely did it. As does virtually any band. Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East is considered one of the best live metal albums ever, and yet Rob Halford's vocals on that were done entirely in the studio.
Good info from you and WeeMann.

On a related note. I've seen a few bands 'cheat' during live performances with either tapes or unseen musicians. I think the most obvious I saw was when ZZ Top was performing as a three piece and there were keys and an extra guitar. It didn't help that opening band The Black Crowes brought this to people's attention during their set.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Again, a surprisingly large number of of bands use backing tracks live to fill out tge sound. If you see Aerosmith live you'll notice all the backing vocals are Stephen Tyler, for instance.

In some cases they will have extra musicians off-stage (Iron Maiden's bass tech plays keys for them) to keep up the image of the core band. Queen were always a little different in featuring their additional musicians on stage, especially Spike.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

This Is a rough one. He didn't write a lot, but when he did It was usually good. I'll go with Spread Your Wings and You And I as my favorites. Best Friend rounds off my top 3.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Top three with no number one, all are equal

"Spread Your Wings" from News Of The World
"One Year Of Love" from A Kind Of Magic
"You're My Best Friend from A Night At The Opera

I used to go ga-ga over the Live Killers rendition of "Spread Your Wings" but the band now seems then they weren't really into the song, it ends with nothing to dramatic, as if they phoned it in.

There is a version where the band kicks into high gear and gets the beat faster at the tail end, that would be so great to hear live.

As for "One Year Of Love" c'mon QAL pull that off, sub guitar solo for sax solo live.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

One Year Of Love doesn't get enough love, It's definitely a nice song..

Kes

Post by Kes »

Especially the extended mix of it, which for some reason was shelved, and only ever saw a release in the American Immortal DVD edition of the Highlander movie.

I think I read somewhere that the remix was done at Musicland by Mack and Mr Deacon.