Favourite Deacy track

Deaky Back Chat
Black Wings

Re: Favourite Deacy track

Post by Black Wings »

the milkman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:30 pm It’s one of my favorite Queen songs.
That's ok...it used to be one of my favorites too :D

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I love all the Deacy songs...but I think Misfire is my favorite. I can’t even say why, it just makes me smile and it’s fun to sing with. I like In Only Seven Days too. Of course, I like You’re My Best Friend, ever since it was part of a Petsmart ad I now sing it to my dogs when I listen to it, lots of fun and frivolity ensues! :lol:

Fizz

Post by Fizz »

Hard to choose just one Deacy track, but I must say You and I is easily one of my top songs written by anyone ever.

Jake

Post by Jake »

I Want To Break Free. I’d like to know the whole meaning behind it, I’m sure he was thinking something.

MyFaerieQueene

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

It’s near impossible to pick a favourite Deacy song. Every track I’ve heard I’ve liked immediately on the first note. Had John written more perhaps there might be a few not-quite-so-good songs (or maybe not!) but if he’d released a solo album it would be the best :D

Each member has a distinctive songwriting style and John’s songs always seem to make you feel good or at least thoughtful. They are mostly heart-warming, optimistic, and poignant. John seems to like writing songs with stories and characters, there’s often a lot of humanity in his lyrics.

‘You and I’ is one of my favourite Queen songs overall – each band member has some great parts to play in it. It’s a perfect track. ‘You’re My Best Friend’ – out of all the big Queen songs that everyone knows this is my favourite because whenever it’s played I feel like I’ve been waiting for it. ‘Misfire’ and ‘Need Your Loving Tonight’ – listening once is never enough. The way to spot a Deacy song is when you hear something that makes you feel better about your day. ‘Who Needs You’ – there’s some special guitar here and it's not obviously a Queen track which is what I enjoy about their best songs.

If I had to pick one song overall I'd have to go with 'You and I' but it feels wrong to choose only one.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

What's amazing with John Deacon, is that he has written so few songs.... so few hits... but those hits were sooo big for Queen!!
I'd love to choose something like Who Needs You, Misfire or In only seven days as a John's favourite track...
But I'll go with
1) I want to break free
2) Another one drives the Duster
3) In only seven days
So, from the non hits.... I'll go with In only 6+1 days

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'd go You And I.

Should really have been an A side single.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

It'd be tight between "Spread Your Wings" (the BBC version with the awesome fast coda) and "You and I". "You and I" might just edge it. Special mention to "Back Chat" from Queen on Fire - can't stand the production on the studio version but that live take really smokes.

As others have said, he may not have contributed as much as the others, but what he did contribute was almost always excellent.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Ooo how could I forget, spread your wings....
By the way, did they ever play One vision and then Spread your wings? Then you would have the Wings of the Fried Chicken.
:lol:

Always loved Spread your wings.
Discovered it from Live Killers first. (I first discovered Queen with that album, strangely enough...)
Favourite Deacy track could well be

Spread your wings 🍗🍗🐔

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Mona Lisa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:22 pm Ooo how could I forget, spread your wings....
By the way, did they ever play One vision and then Spread your wings? Then you would have the Wings of the Fried Chicken.
:lol:
That's a fun game...
Mona Lisa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:22 pm Always loved Spread your wings.
Discovered it from Live Killers first. (I first discovered Queen with that album, strangely enough...)
Favourite Deacy track could well be

Spread your wings 🍗🍗🐔
Live albums in general reached allot of people in the '70's, especially in the U.S.. Think of the bands that either had their highest charting album or breakthrough album with a live release. Frampton, Kiss, Bob Seger, Foghat, Cheap Trick, Mott The Hoople, Led Zep, The Who, Allman Brothers...even the Stones had a really good live album.

My only point is that live albums were an event back in the '70's and they received airplay. I remember one of our radio stations having weekends with nothing but live requests. It was cool because this station also had all the syndicated shows (BBC Live) so they could play tracks from Queen's Christmas show.