Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set)

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:17 am

TheHero wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:Genuinely glad I didn't buy these now. At the time I was thinking I was being an idiot for not grabbing them, but now being aware of how they were 'made' (that is, playing them on hi quality speakers in a room, then recording the playback for 'faux-analogue ambience).

Well, that is simply how LP records are made, even the original pressings from the 70s were made that way. The music was recorded on tape, and then the tape was played through speakers so that the vibrations could be picked up onto a disc. So playing the music from speakers is not something new. The difference here is that the originals were played directly from the mastertape through speakers, while the new ones are played from the remastered (digital) version of the original mastertape, through speakers.

Making records directly from the original mastertapes will not be usual for Queen, because the state of the old tapes are getting worse each year, with noise and faults that has been repaired digitally over the years. Finally the tapes will be too fragile to be played at all. Tapes degrade over the years.

https://www.google.no/amp/s/gizmodo.com ... e-made/amp

Apologies, in my haste I missed a bit of my sentence. I meant to say:

"Using the digital remasters, and simply playing them on hi quality speakers in a room, then recording the playback for 'faux-analogue ambience."

I'm not entirely convinced the 2011 masters were the best source, that's all. The new NOTW on vinyl sounds so much better than the latest CD. Hell, the Raw Sessions versions sound better than the 2011 version.

I'm not completely anti-2011. They sound better than the 1994 masters. But I still believe they're not in a situation where the albums have been represented well past the original issues, except ANATO (great surround mix) and now NOTW. The Game 5.1 was disappointing, too...
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby TheHero » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:25 am

Bob Ludwig:

The people from the Queen camp were the most fastidious listeners I’ve ever encountered. No one I’ve ever worked with has shined a light like this on a project.

The Queen camp wanted to: fix all ticks, fix “bad” edits that couldn’t be re-spliced to correct them with a razor blade, have me change eq if necessary note by note.

They hired an engineer JUST to listen to everything at half-speed, and BACKWARDS as well, to see if the slightest tick or anomaly could be perceived and fixed.

Most importantly to my mind- in addition, there were first generation mixes of certain songs which were mixed at a different studio from the majority of the album and thus they had different alignment tones etc.

Sometimes they were recorded using the CCIR curve instead of the NAB curve, or they were using Dolby instead of non-Dolby and, for the remastering project, Queen used those first generation tapes instead of the former album masters of those certain songs which of course had to contain a COPY of those mixes in order to cut from them.

They ended up having literally countless fixes to make for the most perfect sound they wanted.

I mastered everything from the original master tapes, but the final product, in order to sound like they wanted it to sound, HAD to be cut from the high resolution EQ masters. The difference between some of the first generation mixes and the tape copies of them that had to be inserted into the original cutting album masters was sometimes staggeringly better, for SURE it made for a better final product.

Believe me, they spared NO expense on doing it as perfectly as they thought they possibly could.

Best regards,

Bob Ludwig

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/bo ... Lhj1g05.99

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/bo ... on-box-set

A review from Premier Guitar:

First and foremost, let’s just get this out in the open: These remasters sound incredible. Queen chose the legendary producer Bob Ludwig to revamp and clean up the original recordings, and his mastery of the mixing board shines brighter than ever here. From the soaring breakdown solo of “Brighton Rock” to the persevering lull of A Night at the Opera’s classic “’39,” every track verily gleams with a distinctly audible difference in punch, brilliance, and clarity.

Brian May’s standout guitar wizardry stings and soars with more gusto than ever before, but the real improvements lie in the mixing of the band’s ferocious and highly underrated rhythm section. Both John Deacon’s bass and Roger Taylor’s drums have more separation and room to breathe, which makes it easier to hear just how well they fed off of each other. Even Freddie Mercury’s vocals seem to hit new heights, flying in the face of everything logical that says perfection can’t be improved upon. His voice has no sonic constraints, moving within and around each tune with remarkable fluidity. The detail is so sharp you can hear subtle movements of his tongue that just weren’t audible before.

Each of the five albums comes with a bonus CD of five or six songs. Some are from live sessions, but the real gems are five demos from the 1971 De Lane Lea Studios sessions prior to the band’s debut album. May already has his trademark nasal tone, and the fidelity is so good you can hear his six-pence coin scraping against the strings in the opening gallop of “Keep Yourself Alive.”

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... eissue_Set

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby SelfMadeMan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:30 pm

I don't understand why Bob would lie about them being new transfers. And having to spend time fixing all the noises and stuff for this release. Surely if they weren't he would say they used the 2011 transfers? Maybe I'm misunderstanding? I personally think they sound great, better than the 2011 masters, they were very harsh to my ears. Although maybe they do sound the same and it's a placebo thing, either way I enjoy them more so I'm happy.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenVault » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:16 pm

I’m still debating on getting this. How is the book that comes with it?
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated September 13, 2018

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:49 am

SelfMadeMan wrote:I don't understand why Bob would lie about them being new transfers. And having to spend time fixing all the noises and stuff for this release. Surely if they weren't he would say they used the 2011 transfers? Maybe I'm misunderstanding? I personally think they sound great, better than the 2011 masters, they were very harsh to my ears. Although maybe they do sound the same and it's a placebo thing, either way I enjoy them more so I'm happy.

A Compact Disc has a limited resolution which is 16-bit/44.1kHz. That means that the hi-resolution transfers that Bob did were "downsampled" to make them CD compatible. When you do this, a little bit of information from those transfers is lost.

A vinyl record has a greater resolution as it's able to make use of the full resolution of Bob's transfers which will mean this will offer a better aural presentation of the music. Plus link the high resolution transfer with Miles' Half Speed Mastering technique more musical information can be contained in the groove as the cutting head on the lathe has more time to cut the musical information.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Just a personal opinion. But I seem to like stuff that's cut dynamically, ie putting it into the disc as loud as the available space will allow. About the longest single album in The Studio Collection, I think is Jazz, but they still cut it with about an inch of "dead wax" in the run off area. The original master by Roy Thomas Baker and George Marino made considerably better use of the available playing surface. It's a common thread as far as I'm concerned, across all the albums in the box, except the ones expanded into double albums.

As I said, just my opinion.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 pm

QueenVault wrote:I’m still debating on getting this. How is the book that comes with it?

The book is rock solid and heavy. Very thick, high quality paper was used making this book. An impressive piece of work was put into this box set. A lot for the money.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Kes wrote:Just a personal opinion. But I seem to like stuff that's cut dynamically, ie putting it into the disc as loud as the available space will allow. About the longest single album in The Studio Collection, I think is Jazz, but they still cut it with about an inch of "dead wax" in the run off area. The original master by Roy Thomas Baker and George Marino made considerably better use of the available playing surface. It's a common thread as far as I'm concerned, across all the albums in the box, except the ones expanded into double albums.

As I said, just my opinion.

I know where you are coming from with this.... but, the closer you cut the middle you risk of getting Inner Groove Distortion (IGD) which some cartridges can't track properly to compensate.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:37 pm

There's an ongoing assumption in Queen fandom that Jazz sounds like shit.

I think it stems from people who've heard it on either the 1994 or 2011 CD issues, rather than an original vinyl pressing, where it absolutely stomps off the grooves.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby TheHero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Funny enough, I have always thought that Jazz sounds great! Bicyle Race, Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now (great drum and bass sound).

The 2011 Remasters corrected the tape glitch at the beginning of Fat Bottomed Girls which had been present on all previous compact disc editions of the album (as well as 1997 compilation album Queen Rocks), however it also added a previously unused kick-drum part to the track Jealousy, making the track sound drastically different from all previous releases.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:57 pm

TheHero wrote:Funny enough, I have always thought that Jazz sounds great! Bicyle Race, Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now (great drum and bass sound).

The 2011 Remasters corrected the tape glitch at the beginning of Fat Bottomed Girls which had been present on all previous compact disc editions of the album (as well as 1997 compilation album Queen Rocks), however it also added a previously unused kick-drum part to the track Jealousy, making the track sound drastically different from all previous releases.

Whilst the bass drum part was previously unused, that was only because they messed up and muted the track when the final mix was done, so it wasn't a creative decision - they have now merely restored it to it's rightful place (minus one bass drum beat which I pointed out to them and got abused for by Josh MacRae on Brian's Soapbox until it was taken down 48 hrs later!)

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:17 pm

TheHero wrote:Funny enough, I have always thought that Jazz sounds great! Bicyle Race, Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now (great drum and bass sound).

Tape slipping at the beginning of Queen tracks, over the years, isn't an uncommon thing though.

Apart from Fat Bottomed Girls, you have Keep Yourself Alive, and Crazy Little Thing Called Love being two such obvious other instances. I guess sometimes they like the effect, and so, even start to believe themselves that the track sounds better for it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Back to Machines » Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 am

Hello,

Does anybody know if the Queen Studio Collection box includes download of the 24 bit / 96 kHz digital master files that were made by Gateway Mastering for the vinyl cut?

If not, is there a possibility that these files can be purchased separately?

Back to Machines
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave76 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 pm

There just mp3's if i am not mistaken. I haven't even used mine. Not worth it.

dave76
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:54 pm

I used the coupon, downloaded all the tracks and they are all MP3s with 320kBit/s. You get them from „backtoblackvinyl.com“. That’s all I can tell you about it. For me they are fine. :)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On