Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set)

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:11 pm

They aren't exact replicas of the originals. First of all, they are color vinyls, they have Virgin label on them. Queen II come as a 2LP set, so does Innuendo. They are all 180g vinyls. The originals were thinner and more flimsy. Jazz has the poster, but it comes separatly inside the sleeve, not attached to the gatefold as on the original.

The inner sleeve on Jazz is not glossy black, but thicker, better quality paper than the original. Queen II outer cover has better quality photo than the original, while others has slighlty differences in terms of color and resolution, for better or worse, depending on what you prefer. All in all a great, unique collection of all Queen studio albums. The studio book has to be said, has extraordinary good quality and looks very expensive, only available in this box set.

For the prize, you get more LPs for the money than buying the black LPs one by one. That is why I went for this set . I am only buying additonal black LPs of my two favourite albums, to play and display.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:04 pm

That said, there were slightly differences on even the first vinyls, depending on which part of the World it was released, and also differences on later versions thru the years. I got an old Jazz album once, and it came with a glossy black inner sleeve, but some versions that exist were not glossy.

I also think some came without the Jazz poster too ?

Check out this video.. This guy show off his collection :)

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 am

cheers for this.
I also have the 2 different original copies of Jazz.One uber glossy and the other a paper inner with the same detailing. I think its a greek pressing.
Yes the poster was attached to the inner

The set is fantastic. It plays beautifully also.
I guess when you buy them originally you presume that they are all the same but of course that's never going to be the case. I suppose these are the 'definitive' originals
Being pedantic I would have preferred the Virgin label to be a peel off sticker!

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Jimi wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:
MelodyNelson wrote:On that note, did anyone grab the Queen-themed Rega turntable? How's that?

I got a standard edition Rega (the same as the Queen one but without their branding), as I needed a new turntable to replace my worn out old one.

Sent it back after a few hours - it was bloody rubbish. Switched to a TEAC-TN300 and that was the right choice!

Really???

Doesn't sound like a Rega turntable to me. Sent it back to where?

I didn't realise how flimsy it'd be... and how stupidly difficult changing speeds would be.

The Teac is a much stronger build, and plays like a dream.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Jimi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:48 am

interesting
I had a Rega 3 many years ago that was a fine deck but can be a culture shock as they are a bit balsa wood looking. I agree the speed change thing is a bit 19th century.
Maybe they have gone a bit cheap and not very cheerful on the entry level one. Shame
I haven't heard the TEAC but it does review well. Do you use a phono amp with it or does your amp have a dedicated one?
It made a huge difference to my Linn

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am

Jimi wrote:interesting
I had a Rega 3 many years ago that was a fine deck but can be a culture shock as they are a bit balsa wood looking. I agree the speed change thing is a bit 19th century.
Maybe they have gone a bit cheap and not very cheerful on the entry level one. Shame
I haven't heard the TEAC but it does review well. Do you use a phono amp with it or does your amp have a dedicated one?

i'm just looking getting a TEAC TN300; I understand it has a phono preamp built in and so you don't need an additional external one. It has both phono and line outputs so you can utilise either powered speakers or another amp without a phono input. It also has USB output for easy archiving or converting to mp3 if you want to.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:21 am

TheHero wrote:They aren't exact replicas of the originals. First of all, they are color vinyls, they have Virgin label on them. Queen II come as a 2LP set, so does Innuendo. They are all 180g vinyls. The originals were thinner and more flimsy. Jazz has the poster, but it comes separatly inside the sleeve, not attached to the gatefold as on the original.

The inner sleeve on Jazz is not glossy black, but thicker, better quality paper than the original. Queen II outer cover has better quality photo than the original, while others has slighlty differences in terms of color and resolution, for better or worse, depending on what you prefer. All in all a great, unique collection of all Queen studio albums. The studio book has to be said, has extraordinary good quality and looks very expensive, only available in this box set.

For the prize, you get more LPs for the money than buying the black LPs one by one. That is why I went for this set . I am only buying additonal black LPs of my two favourite albums, to play and display.

I'd say the "definitive" first pressings of the Jazz album, would be ones that come from the Sterling master plates. So, in essence that means UK, USA and French pressings, indentifiable by the Sterling logo in the dead wax area, and an inscription that says "RTB" in the same area, as apparently Roy Thomas Baker cut it with George Marino in the USA.

A physical difference between all predecessors and the Virgin EMI pressings, is Jealousy, which I think now has the kick drum in it, like the 2011 remaster CDs.

While we're on the subject of remasters with funny anomalies, the Japanese mini-vinyl CDs from a few years back, tried to mimic the original vinyl releases, in regards sleeves, labels, and all that business. Which in the case of the first three albums must have been difficult in regards the CD labels for the Japanese, as the band weren't even on EMI in that country until The Works. So they aren't recreations of the Japanese labels, but actual replicas of the U.K. ones.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Jimi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:53 pm

interesting I never realised that about the Japanese stuff.
Yes the kick drum is there on Jealousy. In fact Jazz sounds as good as I have ever heard it. There is =definitely a bit more 'weight' to it which is very welcome.

As for the covers I think they have done a great job but there are subtle differences as I mentioned earlier.
Hot Space for example has a raw cardboard outer sleeve whereas my 82 UK release (again bought on day of release here) has a sheer finish

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:57 pm

cmsdrums wrote:
It made a huge difference to my Linn turntable

i'm just looking getting a TEAC TN300; I understand it has a phono preamp built in and so you don't need an additional external one. It has both phono and line outputs so you can utilise either powered speakers or another amp without a phono input. It also has USB output for easy archiving or converting to mp3 if you want to.

Sounds like a decent product at the price level its at. I guess the usb option is a good one in these times.
I would like to know how it stands up to scrutiny against some of the more established turntables around.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Yes. The Japanese mini vinyl CDs are cool. It actually says EMI - Toshiba on the back of ANATO. On NOTW it says EMI on the back, and EMI-Toshiba in red down in the right corner.

For the red cardboard inner sleeve of NOTW I actually think they used a real photo of a genuine LP inner cover with the LP put inside it, and used this for the CD cover.
Because you can see the LP itself in the "cut-out" center hole, in a random position with the Queen crest. An actual hole would not work as the CD of course would not match.

The adding of the long lost bass drum on Jealousy was a good choice I think.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:03 am

Going back to the original vinyl releases.

I've always had a soft spot for the German pressing of News Of The World. The album basically has the same label format as A Day At The Races, with the black bordered crest on Side Two, and the track listing for both sides on Side One. I should point out that although the font they've used is similar to ADATR, it's different enough to easily notice that it's different.

So much classier than the one issued in most of the rest of the world, with a faded crest on each of the sides, and the applicable side's track listing in red.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:48 pm

cmsdrums wrote:

Exactly that. I have a pretty sturdy amp that most of my home kit goes through, so I'm feeding it through that atm... but the choice is yours.

Jimi wrote:Sounds like a decent product at the price level its at. I guess the usb option is a good one in these times.
I would like to know how it stands up to scrutiny against some of the more established turntables around.

TEAC have been making industry equipment for years, much like Tascam, so I'm confident it'll be impressive. All the reviews I read beforehand were extremely positive, and from my own experience, both standard playback and USB recording have been fantastic.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby imthewalrus79 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:44 am

Kes wrote:Going back to the original vinyl releases.

I've always had a soft spot for the German pressing of News Of The World. The album basically has the same label format as A Day At The Races, with the black bordered crest on Side Two, and the track listing for both sides on Side One. I should point out that although the font they've used is similar to ADATR, it's different enough to easily notice that it's different.

So much classier than the one issued in most of the rest of the world, with a faded crest on each of the sides, and the applicable side's track listing in red.

I have the German copy of News of the World too and completely agree that the presentation with the labels is great on that version. And I also really like the sound quality of the German release. I also have the original German release of "A Night at the Opera" and think they got the sound quality right on that too. And the Studio Collection versions of each of those albums sound pretty darn good in comparison.

imthewalrus79
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:28 pm

I am sorry. But I am new about Queen vinyl albums. I bought Innuendo and started to listen and I was surprised that some of the songs shortened. Yes I bought Hollywood edition 2009 not 2015.
I will be glad if somebody enlighten me.

Thanks

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 pm

There's not much to explain. When Innuendo came out, they had to shortern a few songs to fit it onto one record. The 2015 editions featured the full songs on vinyl for the first time, but across 2 LPs.

The 2015 Made in Heaven also features track 13 which was only on the CD in 1995 as well.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On