Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set)

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby WiseMan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:10 pm

BitterTears wrote:There's not much to explain. When Innuendo came out, they had to shortern a few songs to fit it onto one record. The 2015 editions featured the full songs on vinyl for the first time, but across 2 LPs.

The 2015 Made in Heaven also features track 13 which was only on the CD in 1995 as well.

Thanks for the reply. What prevented them from in 1991 release this album on two LP?

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm

That I don't know. I would assume it was just to keep the production cost (and the retail price) to the normal amount as selling an album that was barely longer than 'normal' but cost 50% or whatever more would have cost the record company money. The downside was cutting a couple songs but in 1991 most people probably wouldn't either have realised or cared.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:21 pm

Back in 1991 CD sales were on top, and LPs were not so popular because the CDs were much easier to handle and to listen to. So I guess fewer bands were releasing LPs because the market was not up for it. 2LP sets would be even more expensive, so I guess it wouldn't sell enough, and they decided to release a single LP.

So why has vinyl resurrected lately?
- What has happened, is that we have got streaming services like Spotify and we have iTunes, and the CD lost the big advantage it had, because streaming is even easier to handle, more practical etc.. So what is the point with a CD anymore? - Well, it is a physical format, but when it comes to that, a CD is a far less attractive physical format compared to a LP, cover artwork and lyrics. And as streaming has taken over, when it comes to the physical thing, vinyl is the winner.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dearmrmurdoch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:55 pm

No - what's happened is that record labels for quite a few years pushed downloads instead of CD because there's more money in for them (not the artist) - see itunes exclusive tracks etc. Around the same time, they largely ceased vinyl production for a few years, then brought it back re-branded as a collectable rarity. Per unit, vinyl gives the label more more than CD or even download as the prices are marked up so much. The labels would prefer to manufacture and distribute smaller quantites of vinyl, that however many more CDs and only making so much per unit. People ARE gullible - 7" singles used to be about £2.99 at the very most, they now often cost a tenner! Sales of vinyl are not higher than through the 90's, they've just managed to dupe people into paying more for it - don't believe the hype! :)

dearmrmurdoch
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:27 pm

I'd agree that digital music has lost it's "special-ness".

You can download an album, burn it to CD for the car, or wherever. My car doesn't particularly care where the disc or file came from, if you get what I mean. I have road noise, traffic noise and a variety of other things that detract from the music, all it needs to do is play without obvious errors.

A vinyl album is still extremely hard to copy for the layman, so for people buying it, it retains the qualities that they are looking for.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:03 pm

dearmrmurdoch wrote:No - what's happened is that record labels for quite a few years pushed downloads instead of CD because there's more money in for them (not the artist) - see itunes exclusive tracks etc. Around the same time, they largely ceased vinyl production for a few years, then brought it back re-branded as a collectable rarity. Per unit, vinyl gives the label more more than CD or even download as the prices are marked up so much. The labels would prefer to manufacture and distribute smaller quantites of vinyl, that however many more CDs and only making so much per unit. People ARE gullible - 7" singles used to be about £2.99 at the very most, they now often cost a tenner! Sales of vinyl are not higher than through the 90's, they've just managed to dupe people into paying more for it - don't believe the hype! :)

Wrong. The streaming services became important because illegal downloads of music and artwork from sites like piratebay and Napster had caught fire. And as a result less people bothered to buy expensive CDs. People wanted mp3s...The record companies had to offer services that could compete with the free downloads. And now the music is even available on video sites like youtube, with playlists and everything. You really don´t need to buy the music itself anymore, because it is out there, for FREE on youtube. The Queen catalogue is there, even on the official youtube channel.

So if you want mp3, you already have it for free.
BUT, if you want the physical thing, you will have to buy it. So people ask themselves, why should I buy the CD when I can have the LP, which has the better physical artwork after all ? THAT question is something I never asked myself, not until I started to use Spotify. I am not the only one, because thousands of people ask themselves that question these days. They want the artwork, display it, touch and feel.

Are you blind? :o Vinyl sales are increasing, while CD sales are dropping. Many artists are now releasing their music on vinyl. Best sales since the late 80s.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:41 am

I think the vinyl renaissance is slightly exaggerated but I tell you, vinyl is popping up in places I didn't expect it to again. Was doing Christmas shopping and Marks and Spencers had a selection! Supermarkets sell it again. And while I'd fully expect to see it in music shops, the vinyl sections are getting pretty big. First thing you see is a wall of vinyl when you walk into my local Fopp.

Maybe it's not slightly exaggerated...

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Review:

http://www.audioappraisal.com/queen-stu ... et-review/

Conclusion review:

Are the Studio Collection remasters better than the original pressings? The answer is a resounding yes. Though the original pressings are some of the best-sounding vinyl I own, they do suffer from a certain harshness and exhibit a higher noise floor due to the nature of them being heavily mass-produced and therefore of lower quality. And of course this is the first time Innuendo and Made in Heaven have been pressed to vinyl in their entirety, and to me being 2 of the best Queen albums the set is worth it for them alone.

In summary, this is an exceptional collection that is a must buy for any serious Queen fan, collector or vinyl enthusiast. The quality of the records is outstanding and the set is excellent value for money. Here’s hoping for a similar release containing Queen’s extensive catalogue of live material. Grab one while you can!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On