Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set)

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Back to Machines wrote:Hello,

Does anybody know if the Queen Studio Collection box includes download of the 24 bit / 96 kHz digital master files that were made by Gateway Mastering for the vinyl cut?

If not, is there a possibility that these files can be purchased separately?


Annoyingly, they're not even available on 7Digital, where 24 bit downloads are a possibility. The only album that IS available in the format is Queen On Air, weirdly enough, and it's a preposterous £23.49 for the 2-disc version.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count
 
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2434
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Manchester, mostly.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Back to Machines » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks, everyone! Appreciated.

While the actual vinyls are of great interest, of course (I have yet to get my hands on them), it would be cool to have the high-res digital source in addition and feed it directly to DAC for a slightly different experience. Based on the comment Bob Ludwig gave about the mastering process earlier, Virgin EMI really should consider a full-scale digital version of the box set, IMHO.
 
Back to Machines
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby TheHero » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 am

Buy the CDs then, and rip them to FLAC files.

I have the Studio Collection, in addition to a complete set of the 2011 Remasters CDs.
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Back to Machines » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 pm

TheHero wrote:Buy the CDs then, and rip them to FLAC files.

I have the Studio Collection, in addition to a complete set of the 2011 Remasters CDs.


Hi,

I might have missed something here, so just to clarify: are the Studio Collection vinyls and the 2011 Remaster CDs made from the same master files?

In that case, a CD rip is better than nothing (although I would probably just play the CDs). I have always been listening to the original EMI releases, and have not gotten around to check out the 2011 versions yet.
 
Back to Machines
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby TheHero » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Yes, the 2011 Remasters were made from
the original analogue tapes, instead of using digital sources. The 2015 Studio Collection LPs were cut using the 2011 Remasters, same as the CDs. (Note, The 2011 Remasters are of course digital, but made from the analogue tapes). The tapes are getting old, so cleaning them digitally is the future. This is also to protect the old tapes, that will get worn for every replay.

"The true analogue" LPs are the first pressings cut directly from the original tapes when they were new. Those LPs are very old now. Note: All Queen albums from the mid-80s and to the last album, were recorded directly on digital mastertapes back in the day. That was the era of the CD. So for the last Queen albums, they had to use those digital mastertapes as the source for the 2011 Remasters. In the 70s and early 80s, Queen used analogue mastertapes in the studio.
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Back to Machines » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 pm

TheHero wrote:Yes, the 2011 Remasters were made from
the original analogue tapes, instead of using digital sources. The 2015 Studio Collection LPs were cut using the 2011 Remasters, same as the CDs. (Note, The 2011 Remasters are of course digital, but made from the analogue tapes). The tapes are getting old, so cleaning them digitally is the future. This is also to protect the old tapes, that will get worn for every replay.

"The true analogue" LPs are the first pressings cut directly from the original tapes when they were new. Those LPs are very old now. Note: All Queen albums from the mid-80s and to the last album, were recorded directly on digital mastertapes back in the day. That was the era of the CD. So for the last Queen albums, they had to use those digital mastertapes as the source for the 2011 Remasters. In the 70s and early 80s, Queen used analogue mastertapes in the studio.


Thanks a lot for clearing that up! Then the 2011 Remasters are essentially what I need to get hold of.
Nice additional info about the analogue and digital tapes, too. That kind of trivia means a great deal to me.

CHEERS!
 
Back to Machines
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am

Can’t remenber if there’s been much discussion around the vinyl editions in The Complete Works box set? They tend to get overlooked sonewhat in all the discussion about different editions....do they have any positive or negative points? Presumably they are straight copies of the original analogue vinyls as no remastering or digital CD versions had been done at that point?
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby TheHero » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 pm

cmsdrums wrote:Can’t remenber if there’s been much discussion around the vinyl editions in The Complete Works box set? They tend to get overlooked sonewhat in all the discussion about different editions....do they have any positive or negative points? Presumably they are straight copies of the original analogue vinyls as no remastering or digital CD versions had been done at that point?


The Complete Works 1985:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Com ... ueen_album)

Each album was digitally remastered and re-sleeved in white with an embossed crest and gold Roman numerals.
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby TheHero » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Back to Machines wrote:Thanks a lot for clearing that up! Then the 2011 Remasters are essentially what I need to get hold of.
Nice additional info about the analogue and digital tapes, too. That kind of trivia means a great deal to me.

CHEERS!


I can recommend reading this detailed review/description of The Studio Collection:

https://theaudiophileman.com/queen-collection-part1/

The 2011 Remasters CDs was out of print a few months ago, but now they have made a reprint, now with standard jewel cases instead of the super jewel cases with rounded corners that came with the first batch.

Personally I prefer the standard jewel cases, though the quality of the super jewel cases was as good as the others. The Hollywood Records (USA) jewel cases was a bit worse. They tend to break easily because of thin and brittle quality. The European CDs (Universal/ Island/ Virgin Records) are better. But none of them can compare with the quality of the 90s CD cases (the ones that were grey on the inside) They were thick and solid.
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Back to Machines » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:37 am

TheHero wrote:
I can recommend reading this detailed review/description of The Studio Collection:

https://theaudiophileman.com/queen-collection-part1/


Yes, I have read it. Both parts. It's what made me curious about the Studio Collection in the first place, but I somehow missed the fact that the meticulous transfer and mastering work was actually done in conjunction with the 2011 Remasters.
 
Back to Machines
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 am

As far as I can figure out.... When they made the 2011 remasters, they basically cleaned up the tapes digitally, getting them to sound as bright and pretty as possible, and then played them back over a high quality system in the studio, recording them on an analogue deck. Hence using, as they said, "the best digital and analogue techniques possible".

Might be wrong, but that's the way I read it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14785
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby TheHero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 am

That is basically as analogue as you can get it, in 2018.
Except from The News Of The World LP, that was made especially for the NOTW box set. It was pure analogue, directly from the mastertape. I haven't listened to it yet though. I decided to keep it sealed. Has anyone listened and compared it to the 2011 Remasters?
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm

The last Parlophone vinyl remasters were pure analogue apparently. Justin Smith assured me that his boss promised he would "kill him" if they had gone digital ANYWHERE in the process of cutting the pressing masters.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14785
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Kes wrote:The last Parlophone vinyl remasters were pure analogue apparently. Justin Smith assured me that his boss promised he would "kill him" if they had gone digital ANYWHERE in the process of cutting the pressing masters.



Was it just the mastering and cutting process that was analogue though, but the actual audio version used is a digital edition? Would be good to know.
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Press Release: Studio Collection (Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Postby Kes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 am

It was quite "catagorical" from Justin, that at no point did those Parlophone vinyl masters use ANY digital processing.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14785
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest