Rega limited edition turntable

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Rega limited edition turntable

Postby TheHero » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:31 am

"To celebrate the release, turntable manufacturers Rega are also producing a limited edition turntable featuring a screen-printed Queen logo. 2000 turntables will be available worldwide, with 400 reserved for UK buyers".

https://www.teamrock.com/news/2015-07-1 ... -turntable

With 400 reserved for UK buyers, there will be only 1600 turntables available worldwide.
This is going to be a collectors item for sure!

I wonder how much it will cost ? :?:

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Rega limited edition turntable

Postby TheHero » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:06 pm

The turntable features the hand-built RB101 tone arm, from the Rega RP1, a new high performance motor promising minimal noise and vibration, and a Rega Carbon MM cartridge. An optional upgrade to the Rega Bias 2 cartridge is also available.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/queen-to-l ... msu4sga.99

As far as I can see, it will be a turntable very similar to the Rega RP1:
http://www.whathifi.com/rega/rp1/review

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Can anyone say just how good this will be sound wise?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby TheHero » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:18 pm

It is not the most expensive turntable, and not the cheapest. I guess it will sound above average for a turntable.
The Rega RP1 is an entry level turntable in the professional league. They seem similar. If you want your first proper turntable, I think this one would be the thing to get.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:44 pm

I own the Rega RP1 which this special Queen one is based on. Being a fan of Vinyl records for over 20 years this is by far the best turntable I have owned. The sound and detail and that the supplied cartridge produces is phenomenal for the price. The beauty of this turntable is that you can improve specific parts to push the performance even further.

For those looking to get into vinyl then is one of the best entry TT's to start with and I would stay away from the Crossley and similar brands that supermarkets & electrical stores offer as they are nowhere in the same league - in fact they will do more damage to your records than you think.

Rega is a brand that wouldn't have a problem recommending to anyone.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:31 pm

stagnation wrote:I own the Rega RP1 which this special Queen one is based on. Being a fan of Vinyl records for over 20 years this is by far the best turntable I have owned. The sound and detail and that the supplied cartridge produces is phenomenal for the price. The beauty of this turntable is that you can improve specific parts to push the performance even further.

For those looking to get into vinyl then is one of the best entry TT's to start with and I would stay away from the Crossley and similar brands that supermarkets & electrical stores offer as they are nowhere in the same league - in fact they will do more damage to your records than you think.

Rega is a brand that wouldn't have a problem recommending to anyone.

Cheers for the info. I am also looking for a new turntable and this one looks nice, but I don't need the Queen graphics to be honest.
Do I have to have advanced knowledge of turntables when I buy this one? Or can I unpack it, plug it in and play my records? I read somewhere that you have to adjust speed / weight and several more things before you can use it. According to some online reviews, some people were annoyed and sent it back. I am probably not stupid, but I have nearly zero experience with setting up turntables.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:55 pm

If you have to adjust the weight and force, the user manual will guide you. It is not necessary to be experienced.

I adjusted the weight myself on my 40 year old turntable, and I found all the info I needed on the internet, even the user manual.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 am

TheHero wrote:If you have to adjust the weight and force, the user manual will guide you. It is not necessary to be experienced.

I adjusted the weight myself on my 40 year old turntable, and I found all the info I needed on the internet, even the user manual.

^^^^ What he said :)

To be fair the turntable comes almost set up - all you have to do is push the counterweight on the tonearm to the pre-defined "stopper" and move the tracking force to "3" and you are away :)

You can be up and running within 10-15 minutes - just a quick note to say that you need a phono pre-amp when using the turntable if your amplifier doesn't have one built in.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:57 am

Cheers!
What is a fair price for the device? The link above says somewhere GBP 85,- Everywhere I look the player is at least EUR 300, which is three times as much.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:35 am

Simon wrote:Cheers!
What is a fair price for the device? The link above says somewhere GBP 85,- Everywhere I look the player is at least EUR 300, which is three times as much.

Ah, the GBP 85 is just for an upgrade kit... So 300-350 Euro is a realistic price then.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 am

I bought my RP1 just over a year ago from the Audio Room in Hull and paid around £230 for it. I can imagine the Queen branded one will be a little more,

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 am

Ordered mine yesterday - a little less than 400 pounds

Saw a uk site which had it listed at 325

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Simon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Cheers for all your replies. Ordered mine for 350 Euro, which is about 250 GBP these days. I still think it is a lot of money for a player that needs you to do all the "work". But I have a decent receiver, decent speakers so I give it a try. I have some 180g heavyweight vinyls that sounded fine with my current cheap record player. But that one has already a couple of flaws, so my thinking is the less automatic features a player has, the less can go wrong. And since listening to records is all about listening to music more intensively, I don't have much problems with the player not automatically turning off. The player will be delivered tomorrow, so I might give my first impressions here. And no, I did not order the Queen logo-player. There's already Freddie and John on my wall, I won't do more PR for the band.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:33 am

Simon wrote:Cheers for all your replies. Ordered mine for 350 Euro, which is about 250 GBP these days. I still think it is a lot of money for a player that needs you to do all the "work". But I have a decent receiver, decent speakers so I give it a try. I have some 180g heavyweight vinyls that sounded fine with my current cheap record player. But that one has already a couple of flaws, so my thinking is the less automatic features a player has, the less can go wrong. And since listening to records is all about listening to music more intensively, I don't have much problems with the player not automatically turning off. The player will be delivered tomorrow, so I might give my first impressions here. And no, I did not order the Queen logo-player. There's already Freddie and John on my wall, I won't do more PR for the band.

Glad to be of service
I think you will be amazed at the detail the TT can bring out records. I was using an automatic technics turntable for many years and thought that was good and the Rega completely blows it out of the water.

Will be great to hear how you get on with your new player!

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:44 am

Awaiting the delivery any minute now. God, waiting can be such a tease... Dark Side of the Moon's heavyweight vinyl will start ...

AHHH DOORBELL!!

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On