Rega limited edition turntable

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Rega limited edition turntable

Postby RodandBeth » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:05 pm

So finally....I have one Queen Studio Collection box set and one Rega Queen turntable. The turntable has duly been set up, a pre-amp tucked in appropriately and of course, the first album to be tested has been the controversial 'marbly grey' The Game.

My conclusion: 1) It will be a while before I financially recover! 2) The sound is simply stunning - sharp, fresh, warm, call it what you will, it is truly majestic.

I've now introduced a sub-woofer into the equation and Dragon Attack/AOBTD have never quite sounded this good to me before!!

RodandBeth
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:55 pm

I got a standard Rega-1, and found the bizarre 'manual speed change' method to be utterly irritating. To switch from 33RPM to 45RPM, you had to remove the turntable and move what basically amounted to a hair-bobble to a different rung, every time. And it fell off each time, making it the most pointlessly frustrating thing.

So the Rega went back to Amazon and after a lot of research, I plumped for a TEAC TN300 instead. And the quality is so much better both in terms of build and sound, as well as practicality!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby jimbo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:01 am

RodandBeth wrote:So finally....I have one Queen Studio Collection box set and one Rega Queen turntable. The turntable has duly been set up, a pre-amp tucked in appropriately and of course, the first album to be tested has been the controversial 'marbly grey' The Game.

My conclusion: 1) It will be a while before I financially recover! 2) The sound is simply stunning - sharp, fresh, warm, call it what you will, it is truly majestic.

I've now introduced a sub-woofer into the equation and Dragon Attack/AOBTD have never quite sounded this good to me before!!

Brilliant stuff :)

If you can find an original UK vinyl LP copy of The Game, I would highly recommend getting it, as it will sound even better, especially played very loud!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:05 am

Sir Didymus wrote:I got a standard Rega-1, and found the bizarre 'manual speed change' method to be utterly irritating. To switch from 33RPM to 45RPM, you had to remove the turntable and move what basically amounted to a hair-bobble to a different rung, every time. And it fell off each time, making it the most pointlessly frustrating thing.

So the Rega went back to Amazon and after a lot of research, I plumped for a TEAC TN300 instead. And the quality is so much better both in terms of build and sound, as well as practicality!

I've got a RP3 from a few years ago, a limited purple one in fact, and it sounds absolutely superb!

Although I do agree about the annoying manual speed change.
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:36 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:I got a standard Rega-1, and found the bizarre 'manual speed change' method to be utterly irritating. To switch from 33RPM to 45RPM, you had to remove the turntable and move what basically amounted to a hair-bobble to a different rung, every time. And it fell off each time, making it the most pointlessly frustrating thing.

I've got a RP3 from a few years ago, a limited purple one in fact, and it sounds absolutely superb!

Although I do agree about the annoying manual speed change.

Sound-wise, it was good... but the TEAC blows it out of the water. It's still partially manual, but just having that speed control and a more traditional 'belt' makes all the difference. And the quality of the actual unit build is so much higher - it's a real beauty.

Also, it has the added bonus of a USB port on the back which will convert straight to digital for archiving purposes. Glad I sent the Rega back now!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Soul Brother » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:03 am

Hey Sir Didymus

I've decided to get into vinyl as a new hobby/interest. I have been reading up on the best turntable in my budget and was tempted by the Teac TN300.

I've read that cheap turntables can ruin your vinyl - I take it this won't be a problem with this one?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... ew.631952/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P ... FVIF249XIQ

I'm gonna get the Beatles Mono set first then get the Queen set in a few months.
Each morning I get up and die a little....
Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion
I feel like no one ever told the truth to me.
About growing up and what a struggle it would be....

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Postby Soul Brother » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:06 am

Oh and the cherry finish looks amazing - will go nicely with my red special! :lol:

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Postby Tenement Funster » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Another vote for the TEAC here. When the people selling the Rega and posting on here didn't reply to me, I went for the TEAC too - and haven't regretted it for a second. It is complicated to set up (I got my GF to do it) but once done its superb and sounds brilliant.

Tenement Funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Soul Brother wrote:

Hey Sir Didymus

I've decided to get into vinyl as a new hobby/interest. I have been reading up on the best turntable in my budget and was tempted by the Teac TN300.

I've read that cheap turntables can ruin your vinyl - I take it this won't be a problem with this one?

I'm gonna get the Beatles Mono set first then get the Queen set in a few months.

The Teac TN300 isn't cheap. It's about the same price as the Rega... so not the most expensive on the market, but still a decent machine. It's a better build than the Rega, and sounds like an utter gem too. VERY impressed with it myself.
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:Another vote for the TEAC here. When the people selling the Rega and posting on here didn't reply to me, I went for the TEAC too - and haven't regretted it for a second. It is complicated to set up (I got my GF to do it) but once done its superb and sounds brilliant.

I tried the USB record for the first time the other week too - as good as it could possibly sound!
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Tenement Funster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm looking forward to trying that feature. I have loads of 12"singles I've been picking up from record fairs and Amazon that i want to rip.

However, I have a VHS recorder connected to my iMac at the moment and about 50 hours of family archive tape to digitise, edit, and sort so gonna be a while before I can get the TEAC connected.

Tenement Funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby Soul Brother » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
Soul Brother wrote:

Hey Sir Didymus

The Teac TN300 isn't cheap. It's about the same price as the Rega... so not the most expensive on the market, but still a decent machine. It's a better build than the Rega, and sounds like an utter gem too. VERY impressed with it myself.

What speakers have you got?

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Soul Brother wrote:What speakers have you got?

They're a 15 year old set of Goodmans speakers, which are pretty impressive even when ramped up LOUD. Two floor standing speakers encased in wood, with built in subwoofers... and they have three additional support speakers so they double up as a DTS 5.1 system too. They came as part of a very expensive set of standalone units, originally including a turntable, dvd player, tape deck and amp. The amp is still in service, I still have the tape deck but it's not been used in years, and the dvd player/turntable are long gone. But the speakers and amp are still going strong... the amp has my blu-ray player and PC plugged into it too.
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby imthewalrus79 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:57 am

Sir Didymus wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:Another vote for the TEAC here. When the people selling the Rega and posting on here didn't reply to me, I went for the TEAC too - and haven't regretted it for a second. It is complicated to set up (I got my GF to do it) but once done its superb and sounds brilliant.

I tried the USB record for the first time the other week too - as good as it could possibly sound!

I'm glad to hear that worked for you. I had gotten an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 turntable with USB with the intent of using it to get a bunch of old vinyl into the digital domain. And the thing just sucked. It would constantly cut out during recording so you'd have these split second gaps during the songs. In the end, I ended up returning it and a friend of mine and I took my father's old turntable, fixed it up, got a nice phono pre-amp and, using one of those "Y-Cables" plugged it into the input port on the back of my PC. It's worked wonderfully. And I personally like that the music is staying in the analog domain just a little longer.

I've even figured out a way to help clean up the pops and clicks from a record without having to use a bunch of noise reduction. The better the shape your records are in, the better it works. In fact, I recently transferred my copy of the 12" "Thank God It's Christmas" single over. I always have like the extended mix of "Keep Passing the Open Windows." But the version I've had on a bootleg CD never impressed me, sound quality-wise. There are a number of pops and clicks and it sounds like it wasn't recorded from the best quality of turntable. The version I have now sounds so good, if you didn't know it, you would probably assume that it must have been officially released by Queen somewhere. If anyone's interested and the mods deem it ok, I could post a couple of short samples.

imthewalrus79
Spread Your Wings

Postby Bri » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Anyone know if this is still available to buy anywhere?
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On