What will be the next live album? Houston 77 i hope

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: What will be the next live album? Houston 77 i hope

Postby mattwbhm1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Whilst I'm sure I'd take whatever shows can make final approval for a release my main desire is that if a song was ever performed live (even if only once) then at least one live version should be made officially available.

The live arrangements of Queen songs are often quite different to the studio track so songs often take on another dimension or energy - consider AKOM, SOTL or Save Me for example.

mattwbhm1
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hangman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Let's not forget that Queen have already released some of Houston 77 and Earls Court 77 officially on the old live VHS called Rare Live. I still have the Rare Live VHS back from when it came out. On it is My Melancholy Blues, Sheer Heart Attack and Stupid Cupid from Houston 77, Killer Queen and You Take My Breath Away from Earls Court 77, and some other things like a portion of Tie Your Mother Down from Paris 79.

The video came out in 1989 and the fact that Queen thought these performances of good enough quality to release officially back then must mean something. Now if we could just get these as complete shows and anything else from the second half of the 70's, remastered to the best they can be and released on SD Blu-ray then we'd all be very happy.
Best Queen song = Brighton Rock

Read my book Soulless Voodoo Guy

Hangman
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 pm

How about a live set a la Rainbow with copy of tickets, maybe behind the scenes footage, the crown lighting rig story, and footage of stage, band rehearsal photos / video?

And for cover art:
Ideas:

Use the robot face that is part of the News Of The World album.. and also used on the bass drum on Rogers drum kit during 1977 tour.. Maybe a photo of the drums in the background

A photo of the band members on stage in smoke and lights. Something like Live At The Bowl, Live At Wembley / Live Magic /Live Killers

Or make the cover art with instruments on the cover, sort of like Rare Live, A Concert Through Time And Space. A really good cover art in my opinion.

Please NOT another one with only Freddie on the cover like Rock Montreal, Hungarian Rhapsody or Live At The Odeon.

Make it a quality product.. Queen deserves it.

Any other ideas?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Hangman wrote:Let's not forget that Queen have already released some of Houston 77 and Earls Court 77 officially on the old live VHS called Rare Live. I still have the Rare Live VHS back from when it came out. On it is My Melancholy Blues, Sheer Heart Attack and Stupid Cupid from Houston 77, Killer Queen and You Take My Breath Away from Earls Court 77, and some other things like a portion of Tie Your Mother Down from Paris 79.

The video came out in 1989 and the fact that Queen thought these performances of good enough quality to release officially back then must mean something. Now if we could just get these as complete shows and anything else from the second half of the 70's, remastered to the best they can be and released on SD Blu-ray then we'd all be very happy.

Just because one or two songs were of releasable quality, doesn't mean the show is.

Point in case: Arguably their most epic, consistently best and possibly most adored song on the Live Killers tour, could be Somebody To Love. I think they played it every night of the tour, yet they didn't consider even one version or even composite version of it to be right for the Live Killers album.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby action » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 am

Kes wrote:
Hangman wrote:Let's not forget that Queen have already released some of Houston 77 and Earls Court 77 officially on the old live VHS called Rare Live. I still have the Rare Live VHS back from when it came out. On it is My Melancholy Blues, Sheer Heart Attack and Stupid Cupid from Houston 77, Killer Queen and You Take My Breath Away from Earls Court 77, and some other things like a portion of Tie Your Mother Down from Paris 79.

Just because one or two songs were of releasable quality, doesn't mean the show is.

Point in case: Arguably their most epic, consistently best and possibly most adored song on the Live Killers tour, could be Somebody To Love. I think they played it every night of the tour, yet they didn't consider even one version or even composite version of it to be right for the Live Killers album.

to think of all the things they didnt consider releasable, and which we have gotten consequuently

and no, i'm not talking about love kills ibiza club mix

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Curious, but every time you quote something, ie Love Kills whatever mix, you seem to keep forgetting that Freddie's solo stuff, isn't Queen. As regards to who actually decides to put out what and when, they are TWO separate entities.

Even more curiously, even though I might not agree with some of the releases since Freddie passed on, I can see why they did most of them. What "we" actually want, is just one side of a many faceted picture.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 pm

phpBB [video]

Does anyone agree with me that this is one of their finest live moments.., ever ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Hangman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:03 pm

It's a very good and touching performance, yes. On the opposite side of the spectrum I think this is one of their best performances.
phpBB [video]

Hangman
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hangman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:49 pm

So what's the chances of this happening this year? We're now in the second half of the year so hopefully we'll hear something soon. If anyone official is reading this, we want this!

Hangman
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Administrator wrote:The shows from this period are forever in our thoughts and how best to present them - this is not a declaration of an imminent release btw!

Following on from this post, and the sorry revelation that the NOTW anniversary set doesn't contain anything substantial in the way of "the shows from this period" (and in fact actively avoids them in favour of MK Bowl and Montreal renditions), can you give any update on any further considerations on how the shows might or will actually be presented, and that they are, by definition of "forever", still being considered?

Thanks!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On