Queen On Air

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen On Air

Postby YAFF » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:29 pm

TheHero wrote:I did not know there was a 2CD version with the Hippodrome live tracks and bonus tracks ? :shock:

It says Hollywood Records.

Fake or real? Saw it on eBay.

Russian bootleg/pirate release
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Wow. Looks professional.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm

A lot of them do, these days.

For some reason, they really like the Japanese idea of mini-vinyls, and have done a load of interesting compilations in that style.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Got my 2 x 2CD sets today. One to be played, and one to remain sealed and archived for the future.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Kes wrote:A lot of them do, these days.

For some reason, they really like the Japanese idea of mini-vinyls, and have done a load of interesting compilations in that style.

Hmm... and probably difficult to track down the thieves producing all this. I for one, would never buy the illegal ones (even if they were cheap), as long as there is an official product, I gladly pay what it costs to get the official stuff. And as an investment, the official products are the only ones worth to save.

But when the fake ones are that similar to the official products, Joe Public might be fooled into buying what he thinks is the official thing. Sites like eBay then makes it easier for the thieves to sell their goods.

I guess it is like buying fake Rolex, clothes, sneakers etc.. difficult to stop them + there are many enough clueless people that are fooled each year.

I guess these physical fakes are meant to fool people into buying illegal products, while with digital downloading at least people know they are downloading something illegal.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:25 pm

It's fair to say that bootleggers only sell stuff that there is a market for.

With most of the Queen stuff, it's simply a case of supply and demand. If stuff isn't available any longer at a fair price, or is marketable and has never been available, it then becomes viable for them to manufacture the things and make a profit out of it.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:33 am

TheHero wrote:I guess it is like buying fake Rolex, clothes, sneakers etc.. difficult to stop them + there are many enough clueless people that are fooled each year.

Who says it has everything to do with people being clueless? As Kes says, if a bootleg is the only way people can get a certain thing, then why not?

I have a couple of Iron Maiden fakes (both of which look exceedingly legit) because it's the only sensible way I can get a hold of those two albums.

The idea everyone who buys a bootleg isn't clever enough to know what's real is both a little insulting and and a lot inaccurate.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
TheHero wrote:I guess it is like buying fake Rolex, clothes, sneakers etc.. difficult to stop them + there are many enough clueless people that are fooled each year.

Who says it has everything to do with people being clueless? As Kes says, if a bootleg is the only way people can get a certain thing, then why not?

I have a couple of Iron Maiden fakes (both of which look exceedingly legit) because it's the only sensible way I can get a hold of those two albums.

The idea everyone who buys a bootleg isn't clever enough to know what's real is both a little insulting and and a lot inaccurate.

Well, that is actually even worse than being clueless. If you go out and buy a bootleg of an official album like Queen On Air with intention; an album that is already available in various formats as official products, just to save money, with the risk of ending up with crap sound quality, and giving your money, personalia/address to the thieves selling them online, then yes, you are stupid, a daredevil or a miser. That is my opinion, others are allowed to have their own opinions.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 am

Look at this way.

Usually it costs the bootleggers more to manufacture and distribute stuff, than it costs a company like UMG to do it. Therefore, they usually charge about 50% more for the product.

The bootleggers/pirates don't tend to bootleg stuff that's still on catalogue, due to that reason. There's got to be something about it, that makes it desirable to the consumer, and this might be that the item is no longer available, and/or costs more to buy than the cost of the bootlegged item. Consequently, top sellers on vinyl at the moment, are picture discs of albums that have never officially been picture discs, and coloured vinyls of albums that have never been officially issued as such, or in that colour. People are getting £100 on eBay at the moment for 7" copies of Bo Rhap on blue vinyl. The original goes for between £2000-£4000 depending on how much of the peripheral stuff is being sold with it. As a note, the bootlegs all seem to be pressed at 33rpm, the original is a 45.

Most of the pirates or bootlegs I own, either weren't available any longer officially when I bought them, or still aren't now.

I wouldn't dream of buying a pirated album, that I already owned in an official format. Does that make me an idiot? You decide.

Further, if you get something like the Raw Sessions disc in the latest boxset, desirable, very limited, and costly to start off with, how long do YOU think it will be before you see this as a standalone single disc bootleg? I'd expect to start seeing it within a twelve month, being honest. I'd also fully expect to see it on vinyl, because Queen have unwisely left a big "fuck off" hole in the market for someone to do just that.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:02 pm

I won't claim sole responsibility for the way the studio collection boxset came out, but I was one of a number of people campaigning for a comprehensive coloured vinyl set for about ten years.

One of my arguments for it, was that for years, people were making a fortune out of putting the albums out as coloured vinyls, and the band were missing out on that. The truth is, they still are, but at least the band have got their own slice of the market.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby FCB101 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:32 am

Let's get our facts right:
There's a huge difference between a bootleg and a pirate.
Bootleg: an unofficial recording of an artist sold for profit by a company that specializes in producing unofficial CDs (or LPs, back in the day). Note that not all unofficial recordings are bootlegs. In fact, most of them aren't (see definitions of RoIO, Counterfeit, and Pirate, as well as the Wikipedia article on the subject). Bootlegs of rock music first emerged in the 60s and were only available on LP for purchase at the time, before cassette tapes became popular. The cultural stigma of the word "bootleg" still exists to this day that a) all unreleased recordings are to be referred to as bootlegs, and b) all unreleased recordings are hurting record sales. The efforts of common fans and their high speed internet connections have rendered both of those claims to be at least 99% untrue today.

Pirate: an unauthorized recording sold for profit that contains previously officially-released material

What I - and many others would like - is that the band would release their concert soundboardrecordings (for example 4 each year, each from a different tour) through their website (if they want to counter bootlegs they can easily give the option of a cd in limited edition!). Now, there's a market of mostly low quality audience recordings sold on bootlegs where the band has superior versions of those shows and could easily counter these sales by offering those superior versions for sale themselves.
The band would make money where they don't right now, the band would replace low quality recordings by way better recordings and thus way more representative of the band's performance of that given night, the band would thrill their die-hard fans and give them something to look forward to every 3 months (generating more chat on the fora, etc.).
And if they want to do it in the QPL way, we don't mind them slipping in 1986 concert recordings ;-) Hearing some shows like Leiden (any night) from the soundboard would blow our minds.

It's so sad the band doesn't see the potential, and totally ununderstandable when you take into account they ever found it a good idea to release the "100 best bootlegs"!

FCB101
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am

TheHero wrote:Well, that is actually even worse than being clueless. If you go out and buy a bootleg of an official album like Queen On Air with intention; an album that is already available in various formats as official products, just to save money, with the risk of ending up with crap sound quality, and giving your money, personalia/address to the thieves selling them online, then yes, you are stupid, a daredevil or a miser.

Did you even read what I said?

The few fakes I own are no longer officially in print, and were only originally produced in very limited numbers anyway. As a result legit copies are impossible to get for less than £200, and I ain't paying that for one album.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I think (arguing the toss, not that I believe everything written in Wikipedia for a second) things like Queen - In The Mirror, are classed as bootlegs, and a whole volume of those contains B sides. I'd also class music that is long out of print and then pressed away from the copyright holder, also as a "bootleg".

Pirates, in my world, at least, are either people with silly Bristolian accents, with wooden legs, parrots and eyepatches, or in the music world, illegal pressings of currently available material.

How about Sheetkeeckers? That's a bootleg, no argument. But the fucking thing was mixed by Roy Thomas Baker, owned by Trident, and subsequently Queen, and "exactly" the same recording was released officially long after the event.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the term "bootlegging" originally derived from the unofficial production of alcohol during the times of prohibition? Now, I'm confused, were they counterfeiting it, pirating it, illegally producing it, or what?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:I have a couple of Iron Maiden fakes (both of which look exceedingly legit) because it's the only sensible way I can get a hold of those two albums.

Which ones are they?
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 pm

WeeMann wrote:Which ones are they?

Beast Over Hammersmith and BBC Archives, both from the Eddie's Archive box that came out way before I got into Maiden and which goes for silly money now. I picked them up off Amazon last year. They're pretty good, actually. You have to look quite close to realise they're not legit.

I also have the B-sides compilation from the set, likewise bought separately, but I'm honestly not sure if that's the real deal or not. If it's a bootleg, it's a bloody well-made one because it looks entirely professional.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On